Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Hey Caros, you mentioned this a while ago, but I'd be totally down for a Let's Read of Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead if you were seriously considering subjecting yourself to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Really, when you think about it, NOT letting people sell themselves into slavery is the true tyranny.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
There are a lot of folks in debt in this country and they should be allowed to choose to sell their daughters to the banks that hold their debts but BIG GOVERNMENT keeps getting in the way of the market.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait, how the gently caress can a place be both "stateless" and "law-abiding" at the same time?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

YF19pilot posted:

Two things kept me out, 1- I didn't buy the argument for total elimination of the government, 2- the whole "taxes are theft, men with guns, monopoly on violence" crap my libertarian friends spread in stupid memes like this:

It's interesting that such an avowed atheist such as Penn Jillette would care so much about an abstract like "moral credit." There's a strain of social conservative thought that says the government helping poor people is wrong because that should be the role of churches and people's individual moral choices. That the government feeding and sheltering people somehow "cheats" a Christian philanthropist out of the chance to do good works. Here's a quote from Paul Ryan's 2014 CPAC speech.

Zombie-eyed granny starver posted:

"What the left is offering people is a full stomach and an empty soul...People don't just want a life of comfort. They want a life of dignity..."

What's amazing about this quote is not just its arrogance and strange equation of being fed with being spiritually empty, but that it's such a perfect inversion of a much more famous quote that I almost can't believe it wasn't intentional.

Rabbi Israel Salanter posted:

Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to be worried about our own souls, and other people's bellies.

So I understand the objection to government "charity" offered by Christian conservatives. I think it's a bad reason, but I understand it. But what's Penn Jillette's problem? I agree with him that people need to be fed, sheltered, clothed, etc. So since we're both atheists and big fans of logical positivism, we should both support government benefit programs since those have been shown, definitively, to help the most people. Who gives a gently caress about "moral credit?" We can't have food stamps because some jackass might think they're a good person because they pay taxes? Get outta here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
This thread created joinder with my heart!

Thanks to Caros et al. for making this a really informative thread.

• Locked thread