Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Best Midwest Simulator 2015.

I used "uff da" and "stop'n'go lights" in the same sentence today and this show makes me feel like I'm home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
This season already looks as good as the first one, ya?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Jesse Plemons always gotta murder, Cristin Milioti always gotta die

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ah yes, body in the freezer. Nothing bad is going to happen with that, right?

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dodecalypse posted:

This season already looks as good as the first one, ya?

Hell yeah it does.

PS - Brad Garrett as some kind of Lieutenant in the Jewish Mob is awesome

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This show is indulging my irrational love of split screen.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 13, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The closing credits song was a version of the Siren's song from O Brother, Where Art Thou.

Also this was loving amazing.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

The closing credits song was a version of the Siren's song from O Brother, Where Art Thou.

Also this was loving amazing.

And the opening little tune was a sped-up version of the theme from Fargo (the movie).

I really liked the episode, and everything I've read from critics who have seen more of the season seems to be glowing, but... the UFO thing is throwing me off a bit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The non-seqitur UFO appearance, while I'm sure it plays a role in the story down the road, is also a reference to The Man Who Wasn't There

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
jesus christ everyone in this town needs to catch a bullet, they're all annoying as hell

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

The non-seqitur UFO appearance, while I'm sure it plays a role in the story down the road, is also a reference to The Man Who Wasn't There

Oh, yeah? Huh. It's been a while since I saw that movie, I don't remember that at all.

Guess this is as good a reason as any to re-watch a bunch of Coen brothers movies to hold me over between episodes.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I got so excited when I remembered this was on today and the wonderful cast and awesome story setup made it worth the hype.

It's strange seeing Kirsten Dunst on a TV show after I think she got blacklisted for being a royal pain in the rear end to work with like that Grey's Anatomy lady?

Also I couldn't figure out who the gently caress that old mob boss guy was but it's or rather was Saul from BSG :lol:

And lastly holy hell Todd got fat for this show. Any idea if that's a fat suit or did he legitimately get that big?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Frackie Robinson posted:

Did Jesse Plemons get fat for this and Black Mass, or did he just get fat?

Apparently he put on the weight for Black Mass and the showrunner told him to keep it for Fargo

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving hell Jesse Plemons retarded wife needs to die first

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
You just know he's going to die for her.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Meth Damon always falls for the wrong girl.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Godinster posted:

Also I couldn't figure out who the gently caress that old mob boss guy was but it's or rather was Saul from BSG :lol:

Didn't know he was going to be on this show. Now I wanna watch it even more!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dangerous Person posted:

Ugh, I know :*(

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That was loving fantastic. Especially the opening.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
That was top to bottom loving phenomenal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was a little put off by the first few minutes and worried that maybe the old magic wasn't going to be there, but everything from Kieran Culkin showing up on was magnificent. His amazing botch-job in the diner was incredible to watch, and included some beautiful wide shots.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Dangerous Person posted:

This show is indulging my irrational love of split screen.
I think that's the only part of the episode I wasn't completely on board with. Also would have liked to see Rye stick around longer but the cast looks amazing, so whatevs. The guy playing Young Lou is perfect.

Should be interesting to see if the KC expansion includes sending in another Malvo-like character.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 13, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He brought his own bitch rear end into the waffle hut.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

muscles like this? posted:

Hulu got streaming rights for season 1, so probably not.

Huh netflix has it in the UK.

Anyway great first episode. The dark humour is just as perfect as the first season.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 13, 2015

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Patrick Wilson is doing a great job of channeling Keith Carradine, he's got the mannerisms and the cadence of speech down to a T. They also did a great job casting his wife - you can see how they would have a daughter together that grows up to look like Molly Solverson.

I loved the part where Lou was reading to Molly and he got this weird look on his face for a split second when he read the word "ejaculated" out loud. Stuff like that is what makes Fargo so great.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Dangerous Person posted:

Good. Dead eyed nazi gently caress. I guess it's props to the actor that I still hate him from Breaking Bad though. I am fully on board for this season.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The scene where Nick Offerman's loudmouthed conspiracy theorist was hanging out with the quieter dumb guy reminded me immediately of Walter Sobchek and Donny from The Big Lebowski.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

As a born-and-bred Minnesotan living overseas, hearing my native tongue again brought a smile to my face.

Only thing that bugged me was when they incorrectly referred to a hot dish as a "casserole."

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The scene where Nick Offerman's loudmouthed conspiracy theorist was hanging out with the quieter dumb guy reminded me immediately of Walter Sobchek and Donny from The Big Lebowski.

Entirely intentional, I think. The whole episode was a giant love letter to the Coens, even more so than s1.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

From the Lady Macbeth allusion it seems more likely that he's gonna end up being the more vicious of the two.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

LostRook posted:

From the Lady Macbeth allusion it seems more likely that he's gonna end up being the more vicious of the two.

The film and the first season were both heavily about small town innocence becoming completely corrupted by outside influence followed by one of the innocents taking the first step into darkness. In the first episode, the only character who's innocence was really set up was the husband, so I'd bet on him going off the rails. Plus, now that I think of it, we have a tradition of emasculated, simpleton husbands going dark as well. Lundegaard's father in law emotionally and financially humiliated him, Nygaard's wife berated him, and Blomquist's wife won't gently caress him. Yeah, I'd say its safe to say he's going to go bad really soon.

On another note, I can see how the UFO thing is throwing people off, but personally I love that he earnestly throws in these bizarre, surreal elements and demands we take them seriously. Season 1 had a ton of them and I think they really helped set it apart from just about anything I've ever seen on television.

So far the only thing I don't think I'm going to like is Bruce Campbell as Ronald Reagan. I love Bruce Campbell to death, but I'm not sure how having a real-world character in this is going to play. I like that these stories are self contained fantasies that you don't have to believe really happened in this universe, and the whole Reagan thing could mess with that.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The only part I didn't like was the film at the beginning. I kept thinking it was going to turn out to be a bunch of present day hipsters trying to make and old timey movie. The dialogue was way, way too modern.

Otherwise that was fantastic. The casting is entertaining all by its self.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Let's not forget season 1 had an episode that ended with fish (frogs?) falling from the sky on everyone

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I hate to say it, but I wasn't blown away by Nick Offerman. With all the kooky midwest accents being thrown around, and seeing him do character acting in Deadwood, I fully expected him to dive right into one, especially with that beard he's sporting. Instead he sounded exactly like Ron Swanson and it definitely threw me. Also wasn't crazy about his character, seemed like a thinly veiled excuse to throw out a bunch of 60's and 70's references. Seriously, John McCain? Was he really all that relevant of a name in the late 70's?

I'm sure they're planning on having him be ultra-paranoid about the show's events and then ultimately being right about everything (they already hinted at this) but something about Offerman's portrayal plus the highly on-the-nose dialogue really didn't click with me.

Edit: FWIW I felt similarly last year about Glenn Howerton: A comedic actor whose work I really love gets underutilized and cast in a decidedly uncreative role

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

timp posted:

I hate to say it, but I wasn't blown away by Nick Offerman. With all the kooky midwest accents being thrown around, and seeing him do character acting in Deadwood, I fully expected him to dive right into one, especially with that beard he's sporting. Instead he sounded exactly like Ron Swanson and it definitely threw me. Also wasn't crazy about his character, seemed like a thinly veiled excuse to throw out a bunch of 60's and 70's references. Seriously, John McCain? Was he really all that relevant of a name in the late 70's?

I'm sure they're planning on having him be ultra-paranoid about the show's events and then ultimately being right about everything (they already hinted at this) but something about Offerman's portrayal plus the highly on-the-nose dialogue really didn't click with me.

Edit: FWIW I felt similarly last year about Glenn Howerton: A comedic actor whose work I really love gets underutilized and cast in a decidedly uncreative role

The John McCain thing most definitely. Also, love canal and Pol Pot. We get it. Those are things that happened folks.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

timp posted:

Seriously, John McCain? Was he really all that relevant of a name in the late 70's?

Yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, he's become a bit of a joke in recent years but the guy was a highly publicized war hero who survived years of brutal torture, solitary confinement, and refused to be released unless all the other prisoners were released too.

timp posted:

I loved the part where Lou was reading to Molly and he got this weird look on his face for a split second when he read the word "ejaculated" out loud. Stuff like that is what makes Fargo so great.

I cracked up when he carefully checks the front cover of the book to make sure it is a kid's book before continuing :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think his actions during Euromaidan redeemed the godawful image his presidential run left him with somewhat. :shrug:

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I liked the premiere, although there aren't any characters who are as immediately compelling as Solverson and Malvo from season 1. That might be due to the fact that the first season had a two-part premiere while this one was just a single episode. Still, the setup for the season's plot was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The two-part premier of Fargo was insane though, it could have been released as a stand-alone movie and no-one would have blinked an eye.

• Locked thread