Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jeffrey Donovan rocking the snowbilly accent.

oh jay posted:

Meth Damon always falls for the wrong girl.

I think you mean Fat Damon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Donovan and Campbell together? Oh I'm sold on this.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

timp posted:

I hate to say it, but I wasn't blown away by Nick Offerman. With all the kooky midwest accents being thrown around, and seeing him do character acting in Deadwood, I fully expected him to dive right into one, especially with that beard he's sporting. Instead he sounded exactly like Ron Swanson and it definitely threw me.

Some people in Minnesota really do sound that way :pseudo:. I thought the Offerman character being a hard-core conspiracy nut was really funny but i'm not sure what the deal with his accent is. Is he supposed to be from out of town? Or is Offerman just bad at doing accents? It sounded almost mildly Canadian to me rather than Upper Midwest :iiam:

I'm interested in seeing what's going to happen with Plemons's character. It seems like he will be the Jerry/Lester character in this story, but he really doesn't seem like as much of a depressed sad-sack as either of those two, and the initial crime is not his own doing.

Overall though, that was a really solid hour of TV. It set up a lot of plot threads and it looks like there will be some great characters again. I'm glad Jake Armitage is posting again this season, too: in S1 everyone thought he was insane because he was pulling out all these allegories to ancient Jewish mystical figures but then a couple episodes later everything he predicted made perfect sense :pwn:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm kinda embarrassed how funny I found the flashback of Peggy driving back into the garage and the dangling tennis ball bopping Rye in the butt :xd:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I'm kinda embarrassed how funny I found the flashback of Peggy driving back into the garage and the dangling tennis ball bopping Rye in the butt :xd:

the tennis ball was one of the funniest little touches. massive bloody dude all over the windshield.....boop right on his butt

bl4d3
Jun 18, 2005

My supershakes bring all the goons to the yard of lard.
What actor did the voice at the end of the episode, the one behind the projector? its so familiar but I can't place it and imdb doesn't seem to have him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bl4d3 posted:

What actor did the voice at the end of the episode, the one behind the projector? its so familiar but I can't place it and imdb doesn't seem to have him.

brad garrett

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

brad garrett

do you even geometry bro

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bl4d3 posted:

I wondered if it was Alan Arkin.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I'm disappointed that the IMDB for this show lists the number of episodes that each actor appears in, as it essentially functions as a mild spoiler for the whole season. Is this common practice on IMDB?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

centaurtainment posted:

I'm disappointed that the IMDB for this show lists the number of episodes that each actor appears in, as it essentially functions as a mild spoiler for the whole season. Is this common practice on IMDB?

Yeah, IMDB always does that, which is why I try to avoid it when I'm first getting into an existing show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
IMDB is a bad website, anyway. Discouragement from visiting it is good.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

centaurtainment posted:

It could be a spoiler, but not necessarily. If a character is shown for 6 episodes, for example, you don't know if he only shows up in 1-6, then dies, or is in 6 non-consecutive episodes throughout the season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

centaurtainment posted:

It's just their lovely guesses and you can ignore it. They do this for every show, I have no idea why.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jake Armitage posted:

So far the only thing I don't think I'm going to like is Bruce Campbell as Ronald Reagan. I love Bruce Campbell to death, but I'm not sure how having a real-world character in this is going to play. I like that these stories are self contained fantasies that you don't have to believe really happened in this universe, and the whole Reagan thing could mess with that.
I like the AVclub review that points out how the Reagan thing at the start and the time period in general ties Peggy, Rye and Karl's stories together. Having Reagan as an actual character is gonna make those links a lot more obvious, which is nice for people like me who aren't super familiar with late 70s America.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

Pol Pot. We get it. Those are things that happened folks.

Eh, I kind of liked it. She didn't speak much but you get the impression she's really sharp, and can see where Molly in S1 got it from.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I noticed is that while Bruce as Reagan didn't actually show up in this week's episode there was a little glimpse of him as there was a political poster up in the background of the bingo hall scene.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Sam Hess and Max Gold were an item.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was entirely way too loving good. The only disappointment was Kirsten Dunst, I'm not sure what's happened to her since she used to be a pretty decent actress. Patrick Wilson killed it and that intro was incredible.

e: Ted Danson, oh my God

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus christ, I didn't even recognize that it was her until you mentioned it. :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For some reason, at first I thought Kieran Culkin was Jake Gyllenhall.

The one thug enforcer guy looks an awful lot like Mr. Numbers' mute partner from season 1.

The homages to Coen movies were good but I hope it was a pilot episode thing and not a running theme, I don't remember season 1 laying it on so thick.

e: I am 100% certain Ron Swanson was intended to remind us of Walter

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I mean, season 1 had the actual suitcase full of money from Fargo as a plot device and there were lots of other little winks (mostly names and stuff).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well that's what I'm saying, there's a big difference between names and even the suitcase and something as specific as the UFO scene.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Episode is up on netflix here, it was pretty cool.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

precision posted:

Well that's what I'm saying, there's a big difference between names and even the suitcase and something as specific as the UFO scene.
How is having a suitcase full of money (and the red windshield scraper that was used to mark its location) from a Coen Bros. movie in your show any more or less specific than having a random UFO sighting from a Coen Bros. movie in your show?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

How is having a suitcase full of money (and the red windshield scraper that was used to mark its location) from a Coen Bros. movie in your show any more or less specific than having a random UFO sighting from a Coen Bros. movie in your show?

Seriously?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

timp posted:

I hate to say it, but I wasn't blown away by Nick Offerman. With all the kooky midwest accents being thrown around, and seeing him do character acting in Deadwood, I fully expected him to dive right into one, especially with that beard he's sporting. Instead he sounded exactly like Ron Swanson and it definitely threw me.

Edit: FWIW I felt similarly last year about Glenn Howerton: A comedic actor whose work I really love gets underutilized and cast in a decidedly uncreative role

I enjoyed Offerman's character but was definitely disappointed they allowed him to go as basically Ron Swanson voice. And man, Glenn Howerton last season was incredible how did you not like him?!

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I enjoyed Offerman's character but was definitely disappointed they allowed him to go as basically Ron Swanson voice. And man, Glenn Howerton last season was incredible how did you not like him?!

You misread what he posted, he's saying that Offerman and Howerton could have done much more but they were shoved into a role that didn't/doesn't let them do much with it. I

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don't think that's his Ron Swanson voice, it's just how he talks all the time in every role outside of those few minutes on Deadwood

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, this was really loving good. Someone should make Nicky Pizza watch this until he learns how to make a second season premiere.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mobby_6kl posted:

Nicky Pizza

Stop.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
CD getting all mad at the windshield scraper painting cuz it looks like one of those minimalist movie posters that make no sense divorced from context.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

I think the point is that the scraper and suitcase of money make sense because it turns out Fargo Season 1 was actually a direct sequel to Fargo the movie. As it stands at the moment, the UFO scene is nothing more than 'HEY COEN BROS REFERENCE!!', and is a lot more in-your-face than previous references and little echoes of other Coen stuff Season 1 had.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Junkenstein posted:

As it stands at the moment, the UFO scene is nothing more than 'HEY COEN BROS REFERENCE!!', and is a lot more in-your-face than previous references and little echoes of other Coen stuff Season 1 had.

If it wasn't witnessed, did it ever even happen?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frostwerks posted:

If it wasn't witnessed, did it ever even happen?

No, and in all certainty probably has no bearing on the plot unless it just keeps on showing up.

I did think the historical references were a bit much, but it is also the first episode. My main problem, I think it was they also just concentrated the references way too close together from two side characters. Offerman's character in particular was just belting out American history when he was on screen. Also, I don't know why Reagan would be involved in rural northern Midwest beyond a campaign spot though.

That said, it was up to the standard of the first season at very least if not better though, and no second season curse here.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 15, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I for one thing the UFO will play a significant role in the plot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do all Coen Bros. films take place in the same universe?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Some people in Minnesota really do sound that way :pseudo:. I thought the Offerman character being a hard-core conspiracy nut was really funny but i'm not sure what the deal with his accent is. Is he supposed to be from out of town? Or is Offerman just bad at doing accents?

He's originally a farm boy from Illinois. Maybe he took his local dialect and added some Minnesota sound to that?:) anyway, can't say it bothered me.
The actor operating the bingo machine seemed familiar, but I can't think of a name. Anyone?

ThePlotChickens
Apr 15, 2006

Awww. Piggly II.
Does anyone know what book Lou was reading to Molly? I vaguely recall the use of "ejaculated" for "exclaimed" in a book by one of the Bronte sisters, but I don't know how common its usage was in that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
"Ejaculated" for "said" was pretty common for a while but I'm not gonna look up dates bc my online OED isn't free anymore.

• Locked thread