Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Remember when we thought the show was going to be utterly divorced from the movie, and then the money in the snow became a plot point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That could have been any stash of money hidden under a red ice scraper. :rolleyes:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

That could have been any stash of money hidden under a red ice scraper. :rolleyes:
Yeah what's next? A UFO in the middle of a firefight?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chadzok posted:

One of them is the 'parking lot king of Minnesota'.. wasn't William H. Macy's money-making scheme to buy a parking lot or something in the Fargo movie? Might be a tie-back.

He can hang out with the Breakfast King of Layola.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ITiPY8Evs8 (spoilers s2)

Hanzee was a ridiculously cool character.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when is season 3

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Next year

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just binge-watched this. I liked it, and I know people are saying it's better than Season 1, but I dunno. Season 1 was strong across the board. Billy Bob Thornton was absolutely magnetic.

This one felt a little more conventional, not as peculiar. I liked Dodd (Jeffrey Donovan) a lot, and the Ed (Jesse Plemons) and Peggy (Kirsten Dunst) pairing is ace. They did very interesting things personalizing the feminism of Peggy.

No love for the character of Floyd, though. You'd think they'd give the matriarch a bit of depth, but she was probably the least interesting character in her family. Don't think Jean Smart's acting did it much good. Bear (Angus Sampson) was also kinda meh, they could have done without him altogether.

Also kinda iffy about the Hanzee character (Zahn McClarnon). That attempt at historicizing/mythologizing his actions just didn't work.

My mind kinda wanders to Boardwalk Empire, which did similar things with a lot more success. Fargo needed to be a lot more about weird people in bumfuck frozen places; this season wasn't weird or frozen enough.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fargo Season 2 wasn't weird enough????

Haha, I'm sorry but that is so polar opposite to the usual complaints I've heard about the season that I am frankly at a loss.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think he means like the characters were a little more normal and less quirky. Which I also totally disagree with (look deeper into the show, guy who said this, you seem to be watching in a very surface level way), but it makes a bit more sense.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Binge watching marinates differently without the weeks in between each episode.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
My problem's basically entirely about episode 9. The narration was jarring but didn't really contribute anything, the UFO worked as an out of context event but failed to amount to anything other than a glorified distraction, and in the end the season basically felt like piling a bunch of gimmicks on top of each other when the season could have worked just as well without any of them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Like I said, I liked the show. But the cool and weird people had to share all that screen time with the vanilla folks. They could have done so much more with the matriarch character, the indignant second son, the ghoulish Indian ninja, and the sick wife who exists only to spend a lot of screentime reminding us Good Guy has a family.

I'm happy to read about what I missed. Read the last three pages, some talk about the flying saucer, didn't find much else.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Vegetable posted:

Like I said, I liked the show. But the cool and weird people had to share all that screen time with the vanilla folks. They could have done so much more with the matriarch character, the indignant second son, the ghoulish Indian ninja, and the sick wife who exists only to spend a lot of screentime reminding us Good Guy has a family.

I'm happy to read about what I missed. Read the last three pages, some talk about the flying saucer, didn't find much else.

I think this profound difference of opinion is rather easily explained; you like entertaining stuff where something being realistic isn't necessary, aaand I like things being exceedingly (plausibly) realistic if they are going to be entertaining at all. Fargo 2 is a venn diagram, and we pull in different directions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you didn't enjoy spending time with the dying wife character as written this show almost definitely isn't for you.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jim Gaffigan added to the season 3 cast :psyduck:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fargo-season-3-jim-gaffigan-cast-941602

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to see promos for the Fargo showrunner's new Legion series on FX.

Nice to know everything he touches is weird.

Fargo is now my go-to place to see actors you never thought would film a death scene, die horrible deaths.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Separated at birth?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
their genetic link is mayonnaise

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I hope he's not typecast as a dopey cop or dopey husband.

e: already confirmed as a deputy. Odenkirk was a good dopey cop who showed depth as the first season went along. Hoping they don't just repeat that for Gaffigan, and Fargo hasn't let me down yet.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 31, 2016

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Do we know anything about when season 3 is going to be set?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

El Jeffe posted:

Do we know anything about when season 3 is going to be set?

2010, 4 years after the first season.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

jerkstoresup posted:

Cool, thanks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fargo S2 is most definitely inferior to Fargo S1. The plotting is slipshod and it ends really poorly, with an episode that has as many (or even more) misses than hits. S1 is one of the best seasons of television in recent memory. S2 is a mess of bad narrative decisions and assassinating characters' core competencies so the story can happen.

It also has no real staying power. I remember S1 incredibly well, S2 I've already sort of vaguely forgot what even happens within it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like them both a lot :)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wish Keiran Culkin had gotten to stay around a little longer :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arist posted:

I like them both a lot :)

I mean, sure, it's still good, but it's very definitely a poor followup in comparison to the near-perfection that is season one. Season two needed to close better, have better plotting, and respect its characters more over turning them into idiots at critical times so the plot can happen. It didn't really do any of those things. On top of Billy Bob Thornton giving the performance of his loving career as Lorne Malvo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think season 2 was better TV, but it couldn't match the novelty of the 1st. Season 1's first episode was practically a movie in itself whereas it took much longer for season 2 to gather momentum. And while Billy Bob Thornton was the best thing in Fargo, I thought the overall cast was better in the 2nd installment.

I didn't like the 2nd season until the typewriter salesroom standoff. From then on it was incredible.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Fargo S2 is most definitely inferior to Fargo S1. The plotting is slipshod and it ends really poorly, with an episode that has as many (or even more) misses than hits. S1 is one of the best seasons of television in recent memory. S2 is a mess of bad narrative decisions and assassinating characters' core competencies so the story can happen.

It also has no real staying power. I remember S1 incredibly well, S2 I've already sort of vaguely forgot what even happens within it.
I feel pretty much the same way

Season 1 was also more visually captivating. That chase scene in the blizzard is iconic and I'll absolutely remember it for a long time. I don't think there's a scene like that in Season 2.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I feel pretty much the same way

Season 1 was also more visually captivating. That chase scene in the blizzard is iconic and I'll absolutely remember it for a long time. I don't think there's a scene like that in Season 2.

I thought the standoff at the police station with the drunk Ron Swanson is the best scene in either season. Would also consider the sequence with Hanzee and the couple in the cabin (near-haircut), and the motel shootout.

I thought S2 was easily better than S1, but I loved both and I hope S3 is as good as either of them because that doesn't mean S1 wasn't excellent television.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The one thing that season one has over season two is Wrench & Numbers's theme.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Season 2 had ‎Kirsten Dunst going completely nuts in the greatest possibly way. Seeing her bounce around in the car super happy like while they fled from their home might be the scariest thing I've ever seen on TV. Season 1 had a pretty amazing murder by police. All in all, they're probably tied for how awesome they are.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Both seasons were incredible, some of my favorite TV of all time. I'd be splitting hairs if I compared them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

jerkstoresup posted:

As much as I love this show the promise that season 3 would be a critique of "selfie-oriented culture" sounds like the most :rolleyes: thing imaginable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea so many people preferred season 1 to 2

naturally I've called the mental health people and they will be coming to collect you shortly

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Count me in as one of the guys who finds it difficult to separate the seasons, they're very different but both utterly superb. No one individual really stands out above anybody else like Billy Bob Thornton did in season one (not to mention Martin Freeman) but I feel like the ensemble is stronger in season 2.

Also goddamn is the cinematography amazing on this show, perhaps the best looking show out there right now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I had no idea so many people preferred season 1 to 2

naturally I've called the mental health people and they will be coming to collect you shortly
I love Allison Tolman a huge amount, and Molly is a great character. I like Season 2 as well, but there are so many great character moments and interactions in the first season that put it on top for me.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Count me in as one of the guys who finds it difficult to separate the seasons, they're very different but both utterly superb. No one individual really stands out above anybody else like Billy Bob Thornton did in season one (not to mention Martin Freeman)

The only reason for this is that Bokeem Woodbine wasn't on screen more.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
drat, I miss this show. Google says shooting begins this month for season 3.
Spring 2017 seems so far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
They probably both deserve a rewatch but I probably give season 1 a slight edge, if only for not totally enjoying the alien part. TV doesn't get much better than Mike Milligan reciting the Jabberwocky, though.

• Locked thread