Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

As long as we're talking favorite scenes in season 2, the one that stood out to me was Hanzi talking to the clerk at the gas station about the tunnels in Vietnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd take it as a given that Lou'll make some small appearance in season 3; maybe we'll get to see an aged Mike Mafio-crat too, if nothing else? Seems clear he was the breakout character of that season and Noah Hawley likes to preserve at least a little continuity.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

As long as we're talking favorite scenes in season 2, the one that stood out to me was Hanzi talking to the clerk at the gas station about the tunnels in Vietnam.
I know "scary guy talking to shopkeeper" is pretty generic but that scene was straight outta no country for old men for me

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vegetable posted:

I know "scary guy talking to shopkeeper" is pretty generic but that scene was straight outta no country for old men for me

Kind of the point, Fargo lifts stuff from all of the Coens oeuvre. Simone's exit was straight from Miller's Crossing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Baron Corbyn posted:

The only reason for this is that Bokeem Woodbine wasn't on screen more.

True, he was great and his conclusion was exceptional, but he wasn't the dominating figure that Malvo was (deliberately in both cases, I suspect).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really enjoyed Season 2, right up until the finale. The end of Peggy's arc left a pretty bad taste in my mouth, particularly since it inspired a whole pack of "Fargo isn't afraid to tell the politically incorrect truth about feminism" idiot arguments.

Jerusalem posted:

True, he was great and [Hanzee's} conclusion was exceptional,

I always thought the implication that he was the mobster from the first season was a bit bonkers. I get the irony of the suggestion, but it's still really discordant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the ending to the Hanzee arc is about as close as a plot point can come to being objectively bad and stupid. Never seen anyone even try and defend it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought Bear was supposed to be him for two or three whole episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I always thought the implication that he was the mobster from the first season was a bit bonkers. I get the irony of the suggestion, but it's still really discordant.

I didn't like that either, it was the only really sour note in the season for me, especially in conjunction with the two kids he goes and saves being Numbers and Wrench.

Mike Milligan's ending was wonderful though, he achieves the success and recognition he longed for and it's the worst possible thing for him, he's imprisoned himself in a 9-5 office job.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Milligan's ending is perfect, but almost....too perfect. Does that make sense? I saw it coming about halfway through the season, because it's just THE perfect ending for him considering the themes of the series, so it wasn't able to surprise me in any way.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Milligan's ending is perfect, but almost....too perfect. Does that make sense? I saw it coming about halfway through the season, because it's just THE perfect ending for him considering the themes of the series, so it wasn't able to surprise me in any way.

It's not just that it's too obvious but that the scene itself lacked anything interesting, and not in a "that's the point" way. It just dragged and could have been finished in thirty seconds. Much as the Hanzee twist was stupid, the scene itself was great, distilling the entirety of who he was into five minutes while being structured in such a way that it wasn't boring.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jerkstoresup posted:

2010, 4 years after the first season.

I wish they would do a season in the 60s, because it's filmed here and after they finish shooting every season, all the cars used in the filming end up for sale around here.

and also the plot and stuff and whatever.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fargo-rounds-season-3-cast-michael-stuhlbarg-scoot-mcnairy-4-more-957913?sf47546066=1

quote:

FX has finalized the cast for its highly anticipated third season of Fargo.

Joining the cast of the Noah Hawley anthology are Michael Stuhlbarg, Scoot McNairy, Shea Whigham, Karan Soni, Fred Melamed and Thomas Mann, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Season three of Fargo has been rumored to take place in 2010, following the events of the breakout drama's freshman season. It's unclear how or whether it will tie into the events from the first run, though none of the stars from season one will return. Production on the third installment of Fargo is set to begin in January for a debut in 2017.

Ewan McGregor will topline season three and play the dual roles of brothers Emmit and Ray Stussy in what will be his first series-regular role.

Good news.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Two Boardwalk Empire alums -- it's gonna be great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Stuhlbarg hell yeah. Two A Serious Man alums.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rad but can't believe it's taken this long for production to begin even

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hawley's probably been busy with Legion.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the plan was always for him to take a year off to focus on Legion and Cat's Cradle. Now the former's been filmed, he's on Fargo, and I assume the latter will go intro production during the tail end of Fargo's production. (So maybe April?)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've gotta rewatch the first season again, for Martin Freeman alone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the plan was always for him to take a year off to focus on Legion and Cat's Cradle. Now the former's been filmed, he's on Fargo, and I assume the latter will go intro production during the tail end of Fargo's production. (So maybe April?)

I thought it was more because they needed to film in the winter and FX ordered season 3 too late.

Legion makes sense too.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

drunkill posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fargo-rounds-season-3-cast-michael-stuhlbarg-scoot-mcnairy-4-more-957913?sf47546066=1
Good news.

Shea Whigham, Karan Soni, Fred Melamed and Thomas Mann have also joined the FX anthology.

I'm glad they decided to bring back modernist German novelist Thomas Mann. It's a bold move, but I'm sure it's gonna pay off.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Returns in April, much sooner than I'd have thought.

I guess I'll have to think about making a new OP sometime soon.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 13, 2017

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

drunkill posted:

Returns in April, much sooner than I'd have thought.

I guess I'll have to think about making a new OP sometime soon.

Keeping a consistent 1.5 year cycle then.

In other news, Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons have fully actualized and are now engaged.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wait what? Meth Damon is engaged with Kirsten Dunst now? That's...
odd?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
She just couldn't resist fat damon

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Landry finally got over Tyra.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The engagement feels kinda weird to me. Like, fiction shouldn't be so close to real life, yo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All I know is if I were Kieran Culkin and I got an invitation to that wedding I would probably not go.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Short teaser for season 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYAFkmGORQA

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

El Jeffe posted:

In other news, Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons have fully actualized and are now engaged.

Aww that is very :3: Jesse Plemons is pretty cool despite murdering someone in HS and being a nazi and all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've been rewatching season 2 and I worry that the show won't be able to live up to the high standards it has previously rea-

I stand corrected.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Another teaser:

https://twitter.com/FargoFX/status/838818973542055936

That's Ewan McGregor :eek:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

God drat am i into it.

a 30 second clip and theres so much depth in it.

Also, thats the guy??!!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

God drat am i into it.

a 30 second clip and theres so much depth in it.

Also, thats the guy??!!

Crazy right? You can sorta see it in the eyes but aside from that he's virtually unrecognizable.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That's the same diner where Kieran Culkin shot that judge, right?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Nope, unless it was heavily renovated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlA70ejuXV4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Jeffe posted:

That's Ewan McGregor :eek:

Holy poo poo.

Is March over yet?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sadly no.

I'll make the season 3 thread in a few weeks when we get some cast photos and a little more info.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Several new teasers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecnzqU0URbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ6qUCYHJg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jFs69m2K0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xz4qtH2mIg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I predict someone's getting killed by an air conditioner.

• Locked thread