Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
moses tripoli lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I love how this is a show where a goddamn alien spaceship appears in the middle of a shootout but goons think Hanzee changing his face is too drat unrealistic.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
At least the Moses Tripoli hate is more understandable to me than Toxx' weird Ted Danson hate-boner.

Toxxupation posted:

and that overlong, downright insulting monologue from Hank as the show hammers in its own themes with all the subtlety of a mallet to the skull- we get it, Fargo, season two is about how miscommunication causes sometimes-lethal problems. It's not a difficult concept to grasp, I don't need Sam from Cheers to patronizingly overexplain it to me and the rest of the viewing audience, as if Fargo were Barney and Ted Danson is impressing upon us the Big Moral of the season.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there are a lot of rural old guys ive known over the years who would probably think hank's language is a smart & good idea. pleasant grandpa types who didn't go through lots of formal education, but they like to learn things and philosophize, and ya yaknow dats troo, miscamyoonakehtion iss kindaffa dangeriss ting when ya tink about et

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

El Hefe posted:

I love how this is a show where a goddamn alien spaceship appears in the middle of a shootout but goons think Hanzee changing his face is too drat unrealistic.

yeah, that's a reinforcement of the point. a show that had an alien spaceship as a literal deus ex machina feel narratively earned wasn't able to sell the hanzee reveal

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Illinois Smith posted:

At least the Moses Tripoli hate is more understandable to me than Toxx' weird Ted Danson hate-boner.

none of Toxx's hate-boners make any sense, ever, so that's a pretty low bar.

anyhoo, I loving love the "This is a true story" gimmick. It's flagrantly false, and especially for a show wherein a UFO drops by several times, pretty ballsy. It's really tied together well with the literal true crime book and detached British narrator. Fargo is self-reflexively postmodern - played with not just in stretching the meaning of "true story" to the breaking point, but in the constant emphasis on how people communicate, or rather fail to communicate. This is best exemplified by how Ed and Peggy consistently talk past each other. but Hank's attempt at a universal symbolic language ties things together nicely.

I also didn't see people really mention how the Fargo theme from the movie was used in the last episode. I dunno if it had any big emotional impact for anyone else, but for me, that's one of my favorite pieces of music, period. and I felt it was used perfectly. There's a desolate grandeur to it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Spatula City posted:

I also didn't see people really mention how the Fargo theme from the movie was used in the last episode. I dunno if it had any big emotional impact for anyone else, but for me, that's one of my favorite pieces of music, period. and I felt it was used perfectly. There's a desolate grandeur to it.

in season 1 they used variations on the movie theme quite a bit more. I'm glad they used it more sparingly this season tbh, because while it's a beautiful piece of music it's not very long or anything so riffing on it directly can only lead in so many directions

also im not sure how much of this was intentional, but the fiddle was associated in some Scandinavian countries with "the devil's music", i.e. not good wholesome music. so you have the devil instrument crying out this mournful melody into the void

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

El Hefe posted:

Hanzee becoming Moses seems like an intentional "gently caress you" to people who want everything to tie together neatly - the kind of person who probably would have been happy if Hanzee had turned out to be Lorne Malvo (which would have retroactively RUINED THE WHOLE SEASON - okay not really but it would have been super super dumb).

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't think it was supposed to communicate anything other than Hanzee becomes "white" and continues with crime. By picking a character whose name most of us wouldn't remember, that connection is more or less extratextual.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I like it because it allows him to be human, and to neatly be done away by someone just as murderous and capable as he was. It reminds a little bit of the ending of No Country For all Men, since the movie added the car crash at the end to under Chigurh's mystique.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Finally caught up on this. That was a good season of tee vee. I rather liked the split screens. The way they were often out of sync lent to the UFO time-displacement effect.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hey all, I've been totally addicted to this show the last couple weeks. Really good poo poo.

I was a little confused by something though. Lou enters the type-writer store and finds Mike and his cronies tearing the place up. They then pull guns on him and leave and Lou just...lets them go? Isn't that the point where you immediately put out an APB on those guys? Surely that's enough to at least hold them temporarily.

If this is just a "shut off your brain" moment, that's fine. I just dunno if I was totally missing something there. Seemed bizzare.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Hey all, I've been totally addicted to this show the last couple weeks. Really good poo poo.

I was a little confused by something though. Lou enters the type-writer store and finds Mike and his cronies tearing the place up. They then pull guns on him and leave and Lou just...lets them go? Isn't that the point where you immediately put out an APB on those guys? Surely that's enough to at least hold them temporarily.

If this is just a "shut off your brain" moment, that's fine. I just dunno if I was totally missing something there. Seemed bizzare.

You heard him, they're friendly in these parts.

Not to spoil anything, but later on cops barge in on a possible assault and let the bad guys go even though there is a very visible M16 leaning against the wall. The police make some really weird decisions in this show.

I was disappointed in season 2 right up until that scene in the typewriter shop. That set the tone for the season for me.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Also, I think part of the reason was because Lou wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

grapecritic posted:

Also, I think part of the reason was because Lou wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.

Yes, that was the main reason. He wouldn't have had a good reason for being there if poo poo went down.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

grapecritic posted:

Why not? It was the middle of the day, the door was unlocked, and he could just say he was there to ask the guy some questions (which is mostly true.) It doesn't really seem like he was doing anything wrong.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Why not? It was the middle of the day, the door was unlocked, and he could just say he was there to ask the guy some questions (which is mostly true.) It doesn't really seem like he was doing anything wrong.

I think it was because he was out of his jurisdiction and the police in that town were already pissed at him for shaking things up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

grapecritic posted:

I think it was because he was out of his jurisdiction and the police in that town were already pissed at him for shaking things up.

Oh yeah, good point. At first I was wondering how he could be out of his jurisdiction as a statie and then I remembered he was in North Dakota at the time :downs:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Nah the main reason is that this takes place back in the 70s and police response time wasn't as sophisticated as it is today. You'd have to send out an APB and coordinate through radio. Lou also lets guys go because he doesn't want to die. It would probably be a lot easier to disappear after killing a cop back in the 70's than it would be today.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finished season 2 last night.

Thoughts:

Peggy is an amazing character. You can't help but feel bad for her, in a way. I thought it was interesting when one of the characters (Dodd?) asked her if she was "touched" and she didn't argue it. Clearly she knows that she's been approaching a breaking point for a long time. I thought it was great though how Peggy's big monologue at the end was met with the matter of fact retort from Lou: "People are dead, Peggy." Of all the characters in Fargo that throw around the "I'm the victim!" line, Peggy was the only one who it's probably true for. But it doesn't really matter, she's the one who made it through and the one who'll have to pay.

The UFO at the end was...interesting.

Mike Milligan's ultimate fate was just perfect. The look on his face in that office, after watching a man bleed to death the night before to celebrate his "coronation", just beautiful.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

Nah the main reason is that this takes place back in the 70s and police response time wasn't as sophisticated as it is today. You'd have to send out an APB and coordinate through radio. Lou also lets guys go because he doesn't want to die. It would probably be a lot easier to disappear after killing a cop back in the 70's than it would be today.

That's the heart of it right there. He knows he's out manned and out gunned and backup is 30 minutes away or more at all times.

PantsBandit posted:

Mike Milligan's ultimate fate was just perfect. The look on his face in that office, after watching a man bleed to death the night before to celebrate his "coronation", just beautiful.

Right? Despite all his talk about being the future, he was stuck in the past. The future has no place for feudal lords.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 18, 2016

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Since this thread was bumped, it reminded me of something...

Did anyone else see a preview / teaser that aired on FX before the Sioux Falls shoot-out episode, which showed Ed meeting Mike Milligan in person? It was a brief clip of the two talking face to face, and Mike said something to Ed like, "So you're the Butcher of Luverne?". They were never shown meeting in an actual episode, and seemingly never really had an opportunity to do so. I was wondering if the teaser was filmed as a sort of red herring, or if they ultimately had them meet but cut that part out?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I thought he asked him that over the phone, when Ed called him to offer Dodd

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

pzy posted:

I thought he asked him that over the phone, when Ed called him to offer Dodd

I might be confusing what was said in the clip I'm referring to, which I guess doesn't matter too much -- mostly I'm just curious why they apparently removed the scene of them meeting in person, assuming I'm not completely inventing having seen it.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Every time this thread gets bumped I think it's because they've finally released Britt Daniel's Run Through the Jungle. Bummer that that doesn't seem to be the case, yet.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Ewan McGregor Cast in ‘Fargo’ Season 3

It looks like he's playing twins:

quote:

McGregor will play the lead in the series’ upcoming third installment, portraying brothers Emmit and Ray Stussy.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Not twins, surprisingly, this article says one is slightly younger than the other. Can't wait to find out more about the new season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I did not see that casting coming at all, but that's gonna be great.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fargo S03 gon b gud.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
One of my favorite actors on one of my favorite shows. Loving it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Both of my favorite actors on one of my favorite shows. Loving it

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Okay so I'm in the middle of the first episode of the first season and, uh, I don't think I can handle it after he killed his wife. Everything before that I could stomach and suddenly that. It's like I just jumped from episode 1 of breaking bad to episode 1 of season 4.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jon joe posted:

Okay so I'm in the middle of the first episode of the first season and, uh, I don't think I can handle it after he killed his wife. Everything before that I could stomach and suddenly that. It's like I just jumped from episode 1 of breaking bad to episode 1 of season 4.

Lester is an absolutely fascinating character and watching the fallout from his actions in that spoilered section and how he reacts and adapts to things is a really incredible ride. Don't be put off, you'd be missing out on some exceptional television.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Lester is an absolutely fascinating character and watching the fallout from his actions in that spoilered section and how he reacts and adapts to things is a really incredible ride. Don't be put off, you'd be missing out on some exceptional television.

This. Also you don't really need to spoil the first episode in the whole series in the Fargo thread. You're probably the only one who's newly experiencing it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I haven't seen the first season yet because FX are a bunch of cheapos who won't put their series up on Netflix, their Xbox app, or on demand.

What the hell, fx. :mad:

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

Not twins, surprisingly, this article says one is slightly younger than the other. Can't wait to find out more about the new season.

One of them is the 'parking lot king of Minnesota'.. wasn't William H. Macy's money-making scheme to buy a parking lot or something in the Fargo movie? Might be a tie-back.

Can't wait, series has been unbelievably brilliant so far.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

ruddiger posted:

I haven't seen the first season yet because FX are a bunch of cheapos who won't put their series up on Netflix, their Xbox app, or on demand.

It's on the dutch Netflix. Like, not even delayed. I can watch every new episode as soon as it's been aired.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

ruddiger posted:

I think FX puts all their stuff on Amazon. Fargo's there anyway.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Season 1 is also on Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Chadzok posted:

One of them is the 'parking lot king of Minnesota'.. wasn't William H. Macy's money-making scheme to buy a parking lot or something in the Fargo movie? Might be a tie-back.

Can't wait, series has been unbelievably brilliant so far.

His scheme was to fail at building a parking lot. I think all the money was going to pay his debts. That's why he freaked when his father-in-law took over the project and just gave him a finder's fee. Not sure if that's a throwback or not.

Except we can expect more dead lot attendants.

• Locked thread