Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Interesting article but it leaves the important question unanswered whether or not her tennis ball booped him in the butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If he ground him up organs and all I imagine there's got to be a nice bunch of e. coli from the bowels all over the meat and grinder. Presumably he's aware of this and at least isn't planning to just put the meat on sale.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Goddamn it, this show. Was wondering after season 1 how they'd top it but they're blowing it out of the water already and we're only halfway through.

Think Bulo was a deliberate Barton Fink reference, or is it just in my mind because of the whole Coen bros. connection?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So the UFO stuff is just The Man Who Wasn't There? :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

During the first few episodes I thought Bear was the younger version of the Fargo mob boss Lorne kills in season 1. Apparently mistaken!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dodd made it up on the spot to spur Floyd into "retaliating", and Hanzee, being a good henchman, recognized the plan and played along.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's lens flare or a similar optical effect, but I also don't think it's coincidence.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If the Gerhardts took him in as a child, pretty much all the Gerhardt brothers will have grown up with him around. Don't know how old everyone is supposed to be, but going by the actors him and Dodd would be around the same age, with Bear and Rye a decade behind. (Of course, he'll have been away for his three tours.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just realized the last episode is gonna air on my birthday. I don't even think I could ask for anything more.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:psyduck:

Also: a black man making a deal at the crossroads? Milligan better watch his rear end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

I'd say Bokeem Woodbine first with maybe Milioti behind him. Woodbine's character really stands out to me. I love what Milioti, Danson, Plemons, Jeffrey Donovan, and Angus Sampson are doing but their characters all seem to make up an amalgam of a great performance while Woodbine, Wilson, and Dunst really tie it up. They all stand out to me as the lead dogs in the three story arcs of cops, crime families, and Ed/Peggy.
If nothing else, it was hilarious how Donovan played a more-or-less regular hardass character for seven episodes, and then pulled the hurt puppy look out of nowhere in episode 8.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not so sure they were really the same, but they were similar enough to make me sit up and take notice. Might have been just the general theme of "black symbols on the wall" but there's no way it was coincidence.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Reviewing things in my head on the stretch to the last episode, and I have to say: if there's one person I wouldn't have expected to be as well realized as he turned out, and to be the last bad guy standing who everyone's after now, it's the guy who started out as "the rear end in a top hat Gerhardt brother's Native henchman."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But his wife has the opposite. :(

Plus he might still get shot in the leg at an inopportune moment.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

centaurtainment posted:

Coen Brothers references:
-opening dream sequence (Raising Arizona)
-Hanzee shooting the guy whose car Ed and Peggy try to get into (No Country For Old Men)
-Milligan calling someone "friendo" (No Country For Old Men)
-Lou and Peggy's ride back to Minnesota (Fargo)

Did I miss any?
Pretty sure when Hanzee spots Lou's reflection in the window that's straight from No Country as well. Matter of fact I was thinking "this seems a bit familiar - oh there we go."

also

My Lovely Horse posted:

During the first few episodes I thought Bear was the younger version of the Fargo mob boss Lorne kills in season 1.
Slightly off, but who could have known!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hell, I hope the guy straight comes back.

About Hank's explanation; it might be a bit "obsessive fan theory" but, well, that's the kind of cover story an alien agent would come up with. :colbert: (Nah I'm not kidding myself, the office reveal was written in to create a wtf moment and there's no natural resolution for it. A slight weak point in a great show.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Spatula City posted:

Perfect closure is overrated. Fargo is one of the most postmodern television shows ever, and it is beautiful.
I agree, that's why I think they shouldn't even have attempted it. I guess killing off Hank or Molly just so they wouldn't get an opportunity to talk about it would have been cruel...

So here's a thing. The Tripoli reveal was pretty cool, if a little hard to swallow but whatever, and so was the Wrench/Numbers thing, but I can't help but picture an alternate universe resolution. Hanzee sits on the bleachers and receives his social security card. Opens up the case, gives his little speech. Camera on the card as Hanzee pulls it out and we can read his new identity. "Shep Proudfoot."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

The bartender, the two cops, Constance Heck, Dodd, Floyd, the guy whose car Ed & Peggy tried to steal, Ed. That's eight he personally killed so if there were fourteen killed at the Sioux Falls Massacre (excluding Floyd) then yeah.
I think it's more. At the massacre there's Bear, nine Gerhardt thugs (plus the guy from Buffalo, who flees) and at least seven police (the lookout, one with the chief, four talking 'bout peeing in the pool). Haven't rewatched the whole scene, but if they all die that's 17; bartender, one state trooper with the other "clinging to life", but also the gas station guy makes 20; Constance, Dodd, Floyd, driver, Ed makes 25. And if you count only his personal kills you're not getting close to 22.

Maybe his kills over the whole series, that could work out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It really should have been Bear.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like the thought that someone would look for the buried cash and not think "but how would they know that part is true in the first place if they didn't find it".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MrBuddyLee posted:

I was surprised that the Solverson family got off so easily. Not a single tragic death, and their family friends were safe too I believe.
I feel like that mirrors the movie. You kinda keep expecting that something terrible happens with Marge's baby, or that she goes into labor at a bad moment, but it never comes up as an element of suspense; Betsy's health does, obviously, but there's a common element in that the cops and their families come out of things undamaged and get to go back to their lives as they were before (for better or worse: Marge will give birth, Betsy will die). And you already had that in season 1 as well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought Bear was supposed to be him for two or three whole episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All I know is if I were Kieran Culkin and I got an invitation to that wedding I would probably not go.

• Locked thread