Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just binge-watched this. I liked it, and I know people are saying it's better than Season 1, but I dunno. Season 1 was strong across the board. Billy Bob Thornton was absolutely magnetic.

This one felt a little more conventional, not as peculiar. I liked Dodd (Jeffrey Donovan) a lot, and the Ed (Jesse Plemons) and Peggy (Kirsten Dunst) pairing is ace. They did very interesting things personalizing the feminism of Peggy.

No love for the character of Floyd, though. You'd think they'd give the matriarch a bit of depth, but she was probably the least interesting character in her family. Don't think Jean Smart's acting did it much good. Bear (Angus Sampson) was also kinda meh, they could have done without him altogether.

Also kinda iffy about the Hanzee character (Zahn McClarnon). That attempt at historicizing/mythologizing his actions just didn't work.

My mind kinda wanders to Boardwalk Empire, which did similar things with a lot more success. Fargo needed to be a lot more about weird people in bumfuck frozen places; this season wasn't weird or frozen enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Like I said, I liked the show. But the cool and weird people had to share all that screen time with the vanilla folks. They could have done so much more with the matriarch character, the indignant second son, the ghoulish Indian ninja, and the sick wife who exists only to spend a lot of screentime reminding us Good Guy has a family.

I'm happy to read about what I missed. Read the last three pages, some talk about the flying saucer, didn't find much else.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Fargo S2 is most definitely inferior to Fargo S1. The plotting is slipshod and it ends really poorly, with an episode that has as many (or even more) misses than hits. S1 is one of the best seasons of television in recent memory. S2 is a mess of bad narrative decisions and assassinating characters' core competencies so the story can happen.

It also has no real staying power. I remember S1 incredibly well, S2 I've already sort of vaguely forgot what even happens within it.
I feel pretty much the same way

Season 1 was also more visually captivating. That chase scene in the blizzard is iconic and I'll absolutely remember it for a long time. I don't think there's a scene like that in Season 2.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

As long as we're talking favorite scenes in season 2, the one that stood out to me was Hanzi talking to the clerk at the gas station about the tunnels in Vietnam.
I know "scary guy talking to shopkeeper" is pretty generic but that scene was straight outta no country for old men for me

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Two Boardwalk Empire alums -- it's gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The engagement feels kinda weird to me. Like, fiction shouldn't be so close to real life, yo.

• Locked thread