Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't wait. Somehow I never had much exposure to Billy Bob Thornton before watching season 1 and his presence on the show was just fantastic.

This is going to be awesome. Every show should have Ted Danson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This show is both cool and good.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The tension during Lou's stand-off scenes was fantastic. I love how he can't keep his mouth shut. Patrick Wilson is doing a great job.

For some reason the other scene that stuck with me was the shampoo scene. There is something very comical about these mob/hitmen guys worrying about shampoo quality and usability.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dirty Beluga posted:

Anyone else catch that scene when they are on the bus and having a 'conversation' without talking? What was up with that?

Fat Damon and Mary Jane are aliens who can communicate telepathically

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sout posted:

You see this is in shows before it cuts away to the next scene where their mouths are moving but it did not seem to happen that time.
It's kind of awkward I guess? It was insofar as I actively noticed it, which is probably not a good sign.

I didn't personally find it to be awkward. It felt like real life moments where you have certain kinds of conversations with an SO or close friend, then you're just kind of left in contemplative silence because there's nothing else to say.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kampfbereit posted:

It's really not a random pet peeve. He's misusing a technique that is commonly used for a very specific reason. Everything you do on the screen means something. If you zoom in on an object, we assume it's important to the story. If an actor is out of focus in the background, we assume he's not important.

If you show actor A taking a poo poo, and cut to actor B looking at a turd in a toilet, we assume that he's looking at the turd of A, and B is in the same place but at another time. The audience, unless given clues to the contrary, will assume that the second scene happens after the first scene, and the third scene will take place after that in the timeline of the narrative. For this exact reason, we also assume that two things that are shown simultaneously on screen is happening simultaneously in the narrative. Which is why split screens exist.

The interview is fantastic. He can't explain it himself. He claims it's used for catching up with several characters at once, so we don't forget about them, like in Game of Thrones. It has never been used like this in the episodes so far.

Then he reveals that it's something he does in editing, and the directors didn't know about this when they shot the footage, or were unwilling to shoot like this to accommodate his hack whims. Which explains why it looks so amazingly out-of-place. Apparently Keith Gordon, who directed episode 7 and 8, shot specifically with split screen in mind, so it will be interesting to see the difference.

And then he says "and it has the added benefit that it looks like a seventies film-making trope". gently caress you, Noah, you god damned hack. You are editing this like a bored receptionist designing a office party flyer with excessive clip art.

Why can't they just use split screen as a stylistic visual choice as opposed to a storytelling method? It's kind of unconventional, but who cares?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think it's as simple as: Ed and Peggy are holding Dodd in the hopes that they can make a deal for some kind of immunity from the Gerhardt family.

"You give us your word that you won't hurt us and we'll give you Dodd."

I don't think anyone is going to mistake Ed for a person deserving of the title, "The Butcher". I think the Gerhardts and KC mob will end up having their final showdown as the result of Ed's plan.

So yeah, put me down for the obvious, straightforward ending.

Either that or Ed and Peggy are aliens and their home planet is called California.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I was in total disbelief when the UFO showed up. I still can't believe they did that.

It's weird because they teased UFO stuff all season but the show was otherwise so grounded that a payoff like that was totally unexpected.

I'm not even sure if I liked it. I feel lost and confused.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Couple of Golden Globe nominations for Fargo:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/12/golden-globe-nominations-2016-list

Best Actor: Patrick Wilson
Best Actress: Kirsten Dunst
Best TV/Miniseries

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't understand why anyone would dislike Ted Danson, unless they were just upset that they weren't getting a Ted Danson deal with NBC or riding on the Ted Danson plane.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm sorry. I can't live knowing that Ted Danson makes that much more than me. Who's he?

You're not Ted Danson...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm better than him!

You're worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jim Gaffigan added to the season 3 cast :psyduck:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fargo-season-3-jim-gaffigan-cast-941602

• Locked thread