Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I knew most of the cast already and thought it was pretty great, but holy poo poo that picture of Brad Garrett is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was a little put off by the first few minutes and worried that maybe the old magic wasn't going to be there, but everything from Kieran Culkin showing up on was magnificent. His amazing botch-job in the diner was incredible to watch, and included some beautiful wide shots.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, he's become a bit of a joke in recent years but the guy was a highly publicized war hero who survived years of brutal torture, solitary confinement, and refused to be released unless all the other prisoners were released too.

timp posted:

I loved the part where Lou was reading to Molly and he got this weird look on his face for a split second when he read the word "ejaculated" out loud. Stuff like that is what makes Fargo so great.

I cracked up when he carefully checks the front cover of the book to make sure it is a kid's book before continuing :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm kinda embarrassed how funny I found the flashback of Peggy driving back into the garage and the dangling tennis ball bopping Rye in the butt :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that Mike Milligan has that kind of Elmore Leonard "bad guy who maybe isn't quite as smart as he thinks he is but isn't as dumb as others think either" thing going. The way he completely controlled the car stop scene was fantastic, especially considering the fact it's a black guy in the 70s being pulled over in the middle of nowhere by a white Sheriff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Paladinus posted:

I expect them to say exactly one word at some critical plot point.

Goon 1: poo poo.
Goon 2: gently caress.
Both: poo poo gently caress!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Paladinus posted:

And I bet the word about the special meat will go around fast.

He moves to the Pennines and changes his name to Hilary Briss :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Hey, there's no evidence whatsoever to indicate that his meat was man meat. :colbert:

I did love they never attempted to explain even vaguely what was in it, outside of the utter horror (but inability to resist) of those who knew what it was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was a great ending - when that poor bastard knocked on Rye's door and Dodd's daughter answered I winced, you just knew he was basically the rabbit from the start of the episode.

Zaggitz posted:

I don't suppose there's anyone here with gif making skills who could get me an av gif of Lou's grin after he tells Dodd off?

This bit?

Here's something that I think falls within the AV limitations:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lord Tywin posted:

I wonder if Ted Danson will say that he had an odd case back in the day and the next season will take place in the forties or fifties with young Ted Danson as the protagonist.

I would have no problem with season 10 of Fargo being set during the Civil War.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The blacktop scene was also kinda eye-rolly for me. Dodd is a macho jerk, yep. Oh now he's going to kill a dude in a creepy way, great. Maybe some elements of this will be important later but it seemed rather like the writers just pulled an example out the Crime Story Cliche paint-by-numbers book.

I think that scene was to further solidify that Dodd resolves any and all problems with violence (and cruel violence at that), as opposed to his mother (and even Bear!) who take a more nuanced, careful and accommodating approach. Dodd is shortsighted and demands immediacy in all his dealings, no subtlety or holding his cards close to his chest.

I really dig how, despite looking like a giant lunkhead, Bear seems to have his head on straight and be a thoughtful, in some ways even progressive guy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I liked the reveal that Dodd never stood a chance of actually being a normal person, what with his dad making him murder someone when he was a little kid.

The thing that really got to me about that was immediately after murdering the guy and witnessing multiple shootings.... he's just sitting there enraptured by the movie. The poor kid was already desensitized to violence even before the murder :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love Dodd's little double-take when he stops to confirm his nephew asked for an Old Fashioned donut. There was something so charming about it :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo this is the most we've seen into dodd's character beyond "violent angry guy".

The scene with him in the car with his mother afterwards was really good too I thought, and showed he's got a little more depth than just the guy who wants to kill and torture his way through every problem.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That episode was amazing, and in a show filled with highlights (Reagan in the men's room was incredible) the moment that stuck with me the most was Ed's faraway "what has my life become" stare as Peggy excitedly babbled on about how she'd finally come around and sold the car to get back the money and was willing to stick with him through thick and thin :xd:

Edit:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 10, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Tell my Dad I'm ready to go back to school." :negative:

Illinois Smith posted:

Peggy being an actual magazine hoarder (we never saw much evidence of it after their first scene together at the dinner table until they revealed the basement this episode) makes a lot of sense for the dynamic between her and Ed. She can't let go of stuff, whether it's the mags in her basement or the life and relationship she's not happy with anymore.

It also gives a new context to her stealing the toilet paper from the beauty shop. I wonder if she even remembers/recalls that she did that, her look of confusion when her boss bought it up seemed genuine.

Edit: Just read a review that reminded me of Ed coming home in the first episode and struggling to find a seat because Peggy has magazines and newspapers everywhere. :doh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 10, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jesse Plemons at normal size looks kind of like Matt Damon, so people started calling him "Meth Damon" when he was on Breaking Bad. To me he's always Landry.

He'll always be Ricky Hitler to me :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerkface posted:

She actually drew a lovely sun but then her mom's coffee cup left a stain on it that created a ufo

Rye saw a silver party balloon, Hanzee has PTSD from Nam which causes him to lose time, and Noreen likes to listen to her War of the Worlds soundtrack really loud in her upstairs apartment at night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Need a .gif of Reagan patting Lou on the shoulder and walking out without answering.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I also like that he didn't try to do a strict impersonation of his voice, but seemed to concentrate on getting his cadence/delivery spot on. There was just the barest sense of that familiar Reagan voice in there and somehow that made it seem more accurate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

Talkin about this did make me realize we still haven't seen Bear react to what happened to Charlie because of Dodd. Tonight's ep should be amazing.

Especially since he actually called and left a message for Bear before going back into the Butcher Shop saying he was sorry and ready to go back to school and live up to all the hopes and dreams that Bear has for him :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

Alan Sepinwall said on Twitter that tonight's episode will have us smiling for the entire time, or something like that

60 minutes of Ed just looking directly into an interrogation room camera attempting to explain everything he has done over the last few episodes..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know why, but Dodd being a mixture of :rolleyes: and :xd: as Bear was wailing on him was hilarious. Then of course he gets up all,"Well now I gotta whip ya!"

When the Sheriff pulled up at the end I was so sure Hanzee was gonna shoot him, I was so relieved he got out of that episode alive.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

The Karl barricade I mean.

When Lou comes back and the door opens the opposite direction to the barricade anyway :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This show is just incredible - even outside of the great story/acting/characters etc, it just looks utterly gorgeous. All those overhead shots of the forest when Bear was driving Simone, and later walking her through the trees.... goddamn.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thats part of the reason why I was disappointed in the resolution to season 1. I liked when Malvo had some sort of otherwordly evil nature to him, but then it just turned out that he was just a petty rear end in a top hat.

I don't know, I loved Malvo's belated revelation that he'd underestimated Lester and that he was no longer the predator. In his final face-to-face with Gus when all he can do is bare his teeth, it's his admission that he's trapped, cornered and helpless and all he can do now is put on a desperate show of aggression. To me that was a perfect end to him, he was so used to being the top dog/getting his own way that he got complacent and lost his edge.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the car conversation between Ed and Peggy where they both happily come to the conclusion that they're finally in full and joyful agreement on a subject.... but neither one has been listening to a word the other has said until it sounded like something that agreed with what they themselves were saying :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I couldn't help but think back to that scene in the barn where Dodd's telling the guy he is torturing (unknowingly already dead!) that he shouldn't be upset because it isn't as bad as what his father (or was it his granddad?) faced in the war. Then he gets tied up and poked a couple of times with a knife by Peggy and immediately capitulates and is meek and polite to her and follows her orders :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"We're realized :)"
"What's she saying?"
"She realized something."

The lady cop was really cool, it's sad she so obviously looked up to the Police Captain who basically herded all his men into a killing pen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The UFO showing up was incredible, topped only by Peggy's line to Ed dismissing it as irrelevant :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

You let me be...inside you

You ever watch The Shield?

"He made you........ SUUUUUCCCKKKKK!?!?!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I do wonder how Milligan is affected now. The surviving Kitchen Brother will still want revenge on Hanzee, but Milligan has effectively "won" as the Gerhardts are gone now, leaving a vacuum for Kansas City to fill. So he's achieved his goal, but will he just settle in to run things? Get called back or replaced? Help the Kitchen Brother to take out Hanzee (he did help him kill the Undertaker after all)?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Echoing what somebody said earlier about being astounded at just how confident this entire season felt. They knew the story they wanted to tell, they knew how they wanted to tell it, and there's almost a swagger to the way they went about doing it. It's the kind of show where the huge amount of effort they put into everything made it all somehow seem effortless.

Visually and audibly this season was a treat, the direction and editing and cinematography were wonderful and the acting just excellent. That final conversation between Peggy and Lou where she finally manages to articulate the frustration of her life only to be shut down by Lou was just perfect - she was absolutely right and justified to feel frustrated in her life and it was great that she could finally articulate that.... but the price of getting there was too high, and she was so wrapped up in her own problems that she still couldn't grasp the enormity of what she'd done. People were dead, and even if Rye was a murderous monster he was still HER victim.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's paraphrased, but Ed's,"The best I could hope for would be that things would go back to the way they were, and that wouldn't be what you wanted" was heartbreaking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who skipped season 1 because he doesn't like BBT, I have to say I'm so bummed about going back to modern day because goddamn did I love the period nature of this season.

In all seriousness, even if you can't stand BBT so much that you just skip every scene he's in, the rest of the season is still incredibly good and interesting with some amazing performances. Particularly from Allison Tolman and Martin Freeman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

seriously recommending someone watch Fargo while skipping Billy Bob Thornton is like recommending some watch Doctor Who while skipping Peter Capaldi

The point I was trying to make was that BBT isn't the be-all/end-all of the show, even though he got a lot of the initial focus. There's so much more to it than that, and it would be a pity to forego watching such an amazing show for no other reason than dislike of BBT.

As in, the show is so good that even if you cut out/skipped all the BBT scenes (which you shouldn't!) it would still be an incredible show.... so watch the whole thing!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I also think this was the guy genuinely trying to "reward" Mike by giving him the things that the guy himself valued - acceptance into the "office", a "safe" job with room for advancement and shifting into the social circles of the top echelon.

The fact that it's basically going to be a living death for Mike wouldn't have occurred to him, because he figures Mike is a guy who wants to succeed and doesn't understand that they have two extremely different definitions of what success is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I did not see that casting coming at all, but that's gonna be great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jon joe posted:

Okay so I'm in the middle of the first episode of the first season and, uh, I don't think I can handle it after he killed his wife. Everything before that I could stomach and suddenly that. It's like I just jumped from episode 1 of breaking bad to episode 1 of season 4.

Lester is an absolutely fascinating character and watching the fallout from his actions in that spoilered section and how he reacts and adapts to things is a really incredible ride. Don't be put off, you'd be missing out on some exceptional television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Count me in as one of the guys who finds it difficult to separate the seasons, they're very different but both utterly superb. No one individual really stands out above anybody else like Billy Bob Thornton did in season one (not to mention Martin Freeman) but I feel like the ensemble is stronger in season 2.

Also goddamn is the cinematography amazing on this show, perhaps the best looking show out there right now.

• Locked thread