Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

LostRook posted:

From the Lady Macbeth allusion it seems more likely that he's gonna end up being the more vicious of the two.

The film and the first season were both heavily about small town innocence becoming completely corrupted by outside influence followed by one of the innocents taking the first step into darkness. In the first episode, the only character who's innocence was really set up was the husband, so I'd bet on him going off the rails. Plus, now that I think of it, we have a tradition of emasculated, simpleton husbands going dark as well. Lundegaard's father in law emotionally and financially humiliated him, Nygaard's wife berated him, and Blomquist's wife won't gently caress him. Yeah, I'd say its safe to say he's going to go bad really soon.

On another note, I can see how the UFO thing is throwing people off, but personally I love that he earnestly throws in these bizarre, surreal elements and demands we take them seriously. Season 1 had a ton of them and I think they really helped set it apart from just about anything I've ever seen on television.

So far the only thing I don't think I'm going to like is Bruce Campbell as Ronald Reagan. I love Bruce Campbell to death, but I'm not sure how having a real-world character in this is going to play. I like that these stories are self contained fantasies that you don't have to believe really happened in this universe, and the whole Reagan thing could mess with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

timp posted:

Seriously, John McCain? Was he really all that relevant of a name in the late 70's?

Yes.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm glad Jake Armitage is posting again this season, too: in S1 everyone thought he was insane because he was pulling out all these allegories to ancient Jewish mystical figures but then a couple episodes later everything he predicted made perfect sense :pwn:

I'm definitely hoping for another puzzle to solve this season. TVIV is hilariously poor at interpretive analysis (or any analysis, really) of what they watch, but I'll probably post my thoughts anyway :spergin: At least this thread is a little better than the Walking Dead thread.

I actually already kind of have a theory brewing, but this season so far has been really slow paced and deliberate, which I kind of like, even if it makes it even harder to figure out what the show is getting at and what lore he's working from.

The funniest part about last season was that all that demon stuff was pretty heavily telegraphed from the first episode, its just that it went right over all but like 3 or 4 people's head in this thread. The fun part was figuring out what specific mythology we were dealing with, but the rest of the thread was angry at even the suggestion that there was source material, and/or that anyone would care.

But this season already has two hard references to aliens, so if anyone wants to get angry again at anyone interested in dissecting it as we go on, then.... :suicide:

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

TheBizzness posted:

I must have missed the extraterrestrial reference in the past episode can someone fill me in?

The voice over in the final shot was from war of the worlds, and the camera and lighting implied it was shot in UFO-vision.

[edit] god drat it I didn't realize there was a new page already and this post is worthless.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

clown shoes posted:

I wonder if Dunst's hit and run was inspired by an actual event in Texas back in 2001. It's one of those stories that stays with you years later because it was so cruel and unusual. Whoever called her a monster was right on the money.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gregory_Glen_Biggs

Even more interesting (to me, anyway) is the real world UFO encounter by a state trooper in Minnesota in 1979. If you want to know where this UFO stuff is leading, that's probably a safe bet. I'm pretty sure the X-Files did an episode about that particular case as well.

[edit] Sherrif Deputy, not State Trooper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Johnson_incident

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Well we're 4 for 4 in episodes with UFOs (or UFO references) in them. Tonight's was the most unambiguous by far. I believe the 1979 Minnesota UFO case I posted about a few pages ago is the origin of the missing time phenomena associated with sightings (the X-Files made use of that a lot, starting with the episode based on that Minnesota case). I should probably go back and rewatch that scene, but did he lose 2 hours? I seem to remember the Waffle Hut clock reading 7-ish and his stopwatch reading somewhere between 9 and 10. In the X-Files it was usually a few minutes.

Anyway, I had flashbacks to Dark City in this episode, in that I think what is being alluded to is that this alien presence is setting things in motion and manipulating the timeline in order to see how people react to a particular set of circumstances, although I can't even guess as to what or why. I guess in Dark City they didn't have much motivation either, other than curiosity. The audio selection from War of the Worlds last episode seems to support that as well. When I posted about the jewish demonic folklore last season, a lot of goons couldn't understand the difference between allegory and "Malvo's literally a demon", which is hilarious but so, so TVIV. But somehow I don't think this is symbolism or allegory. It's so blatant I actually think the UFOs are real and are a major player in this story.

Which is weird, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but I have to respect the bold, unapologetic lunacy of it.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

MaoistBanker posted:

Loved that the tiny nods to the original film are barely noticeable at all, like the song Jose Feliciano sings when Steve Buscemi takes the prostitute out for a "date" playing on the radio playing at the repair shop when Peggy picks up her car.

Not to mention Bruce Campbell playing an actor in both.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
The actor has a super Romanian name -- Allan Dobrescu -- and so far all the Fargos have been really great about casting native americans to play native americans, so I don't think he's supposed to be. Last night we were trying to find info on him but there's almost nothing out there. In particular we were trying to figure out if he really has that limp and hand situation, which we're 99% sure he does in real life. But yes I think he's Bear's son.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
I have a strong feeling that Simone isn't dead. Not just because we never saw the deed or heard a gunshot, but because I think that scene was straight out of Miller's Crossing. I admit though its been 25 years since I saw Miller's Crossing so I could have the details all wrong.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

rediscover posted:

he would be a child in 1979

I was a child in 1979. Billy Bob was well into his 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Illinois Smith posted:

I guess I just don't really see why we'd need to check back in with Karl at the end. Offerman got the perfect little Coen Bros. side character treatment where he's introduced, is in a handful of scenes, gets to be funny and emotional but doesn't overstay his welcome ... And that's it. Because it's not his loving story.

Ok, the problem is that Fargo the film did that with one character and it was novel and interesting and all that, but the point is they did it with one character. Everything else in the film was resolved. And actually they even resolved his story (in a phone call). In S2, there was just way too much poo poo left up in the air and in my opinion it suffered for it.

Look, it was definitely great TV but criticism of it isn't completely baseless. I mean people here are basically (jokingly I hope) saying only a moron wouldn't find this season to be A grade masturbation material. It was still better than just about everything else on TV, but there is a lot to criticize here.

When it was all over, it felt like he had way too many ideas and not enough time to really give them all the proper time and respect. S1 had a little of that, but S2 just went WAY overboard. The thing is, if you are going to ask your audience to give you 10 hours of their life, and during that 10 hours you hurl a bunch of story starts at them, its fair for them to want at least half of them to be wrapped up. You can't just wink and say "wasn't that wacky?" and alls good.

Just to be clear, again, I really enjoyed this season. But I have gripes, and I'm not a loving idiot because I have gripes. Neither is anyone else.

You know what's funny, as I typed this I realized I had the same complaints about the Hunger Games movies, which I had the misfortune of seeing every one of them. From the very first film I felt like I was being subjected to some 13 year old creative writing student just hurling all of these threadless ideas at me, like "and then they went into the tunnels, and then the ALIENS came, and then they blew up the thing, and then...." until you just want to strangle the kid and yell get to the loving point. There was a lot of that here, to be perfectly honest. If you described this season to someone in 3 minutes and included all of the side stuff, you'd sound like you were describing some teen alt fiction book.

• Locked thread