Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Brimmy posted:

I've never watched season one but I think I'll have to blitz it in advance of this just purely based on the cast of season 2 alone.

Season 1 was one of the best things on TV last year. The only shows that even came close to it were True Detective Season 1 and Hannibal Season 2. It was seriously outstanding and well worth a binge this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The scene where Nick Offerman's loudmouthed conspiracy theorist was hanging out with the quieter dumb guy reminded me immediately of Walter Sobchek and Donny from The Big Lebowski.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bl4d3 posted:

What actor did the voice at the end of the episode, the one behind the projector? its so familiar but I can't place it and imdb doesn't seem to have him.

I wondered if it was Alan Arkin.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

centaurtainment posted:

I'm disappointed that the IMDB for this show lists the number of episodes that each actor appears in, as it essentially functions as a mild spoiler for the whole season. Is this common practice on IMDB?

Yeah, IMDB always does that, which is why I try to avoid it when I'm first getting into an existing show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I love that Mike Milligan has that kind of Elmore Leonard "bad guy who maybe isn't quite as smart as he thinks he is but isn't as dumb as others think either" thing going. The way he completely controlled the car stop scene was fantastic, especially considering the fact it's a black guy in the 70s being pulled over in the middle of nowhere by a white Sheriff.

Mike reminded me a lot of random bad guys from Justified. That is a good way to sum him up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I like Wilson too, and he was a great choice for Nite Owl and a fantastic choice as young Lou Solverson.

He's also very good in a movie called Stretch, which you can stream on Netflix. John Carnahan directed it, and Wilson plays a down-on-his-luck, self-destructive L.A. limo driver. It turned out to be a crazy little action movie/dark comedy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Dodd knows that Old Fashioneds are poo poo.

A good, fresh old-fashioned is one of my favorites! I avoided them for years because they look so boring and wrinkly, but they can be awesome.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zwille posted:

I wonder if Ted's whole visual language thing was related to the two kids signing. Sign language was recognized as a natural language in 1960 but didn't really blow up until the 80s, and a lot of people think sign language is universal (which it isn't).

I really liked how they just had a deaf mobster in season one and I hope they do something sign language related in season 3 again.

The two kids grow up to become Mr. Wrench (the deaf hitman played by Russell Harvard in Season 1) and his partner Mr. Numbers (Adam Goldberg). Presumably Hanzee rescues them from the bullies, takes them under his wing, and teaches them how to be killers as he becomes Mr. Tripoli.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

holy poo poo how have i not heard of this movie???? this looks amazing

You can stream it on Amazon Prime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Doltos posted:

that wormy detective dude that hung out with Lou
Ben Schmidt redeemed himself by taking out two of the Gerhardt thugs to protect Ed and Peggy at the motel, and getting over his cowardice to back Lou up against Hanzee at the end. He also lived long enough to grow up to become Gus Grimly's boss in Season 1 (although an older actor played him, like Keith Carradine playing older Lou).

I liked his character. He was a "go along to get along" kind of cop, completely unprepared to deal with the horror and violence that were unleashed in his tiny world, but he stepped up -- better late than never.

• Locked thread