Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Child of the '80s here.

My first film in a theater was Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation and just a few weeks ago, I found all my old figurines in a closet. I didn't keep them.

Then there was Maple Town, which I had nearly blocked from my mind. Until going through Google Images, I didn't realize how many of the toys I actually had - house, school, train, specific rooms, lots of figurines. I can't recall particularly loving them, though, and my mother was a bit sad when I said everything could go to our garage sale when I was a teen. It had been her idea all along to get me into them.

There aren't too many good pictures of the stuff for some reason. Here are two of the figures:

If you've never heard of Maple Town, this was the cartoon. Sort of a Little House on the Prairie with anthropomorphic animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtINuEfsGQE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Astrofig posted:

The chameleon changed color if you put him in warm water;

I don't know who made them or what they were officially called, but I had a bunch of what I called "change colour cars" (that might even have been the official name?) that did that. They were awesome. You could do cool stuff like dip them halfway into the water to just change half, and some of them changed quite dramatically (like from dark purple to white or red to green).

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Wasn't there a Matchbox line that did that? Pretty sure my brother had some of those....

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm older than most people here so I'm not sure how many of you will remember these...

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I don't have any of my toys any more, because I'm an adult.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

gentle pete posted:

I'm older than most people here so I'm not sure how many of you will remember these...

1: I think I might have had that but I have no idea what it was
2: That looks vaguely familiar
3: No idea, I'm not Jewish

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

gentle pete posted:

Rearview mirrors from the Turtle Van that was posted on the first page, not that I needed to to see the post to recognize those bits.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I loved micro machines and forgot my mom had tons of them, figured I could get some more on ebay and just bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MICRO-MACHINES-Indiana-Jones-SET-of-10-Vehicles-INDY-Figure-Galoob-1995-X45-/391289315900?hash=item5b1aa9223c

Hellooooo manchild! It has everything except a bald Nazi!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Lots of dollar store knockoff transformers, which was fine by me because they were hilarious.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Anyone remember Captain Power? My mom got me one of the ships and the VHS tape. Basically it was a light gun type game where certain areas of the screen would have these seizure inducing flashy bits. You would try to hit them , and try to avoid their fireball shots. They had a short lived tv show that let you use the toys to interact with the action.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just going to post this one as a link, don't want to bother with dropping the pic in imgur right now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25848889@N03/5944558542

Playmobile pirate ship. Look at the goddamn rigging on that thing.

Panfilo posted:

Anyone remember Captain Power? My mom got me one of the ships and the VHS tape. Basically it was a light gun type game where certain areas of the screen would have these seizure inducing flashy bits. You would try to hit them , and try to avoid their fireball shots. They had a short lived tv show that let you use the toys to interact with the action.

I quite clearly remember the moment when I, watching one of those videos and playing along with the ship, suddenly stopped, looked from the ship to the TV, and thought "Wait, that's a VHS tape, it's going to do what it does without my input, these things don't interact at all".

RickVoid has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Oct 11, 2015

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Panfilo posted:

The loving cyborg bird thing that would digitize people gave me nightmares

I had the blue flying hero guy

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Panfilo posted:

I had that bad boy, but the cockpit roof got snapped off by the force of the little dude ejecting from the seat. Still pretty badass though, and the noises it made were proper REALLY loving ANNOYING loud "laser" noises.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

RickVoid posted:

I quite clearly remember the moment when I, watching one of those videos and playing along with the ship, suddenly stopped, looked from the ship to the TV, and thought "Wait, that's a VHS tape, it's going to do what it does without my input, these things don't interact at all".

Uh yeah well that just meant some other soldier of the future is having to pick up your slack. You'll regret it when at the end of the level Captain Power tells you to check your power points and you have none.

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I almost forgot about Sylvanian families. I had the squirrel family. :3:

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

loving loved this as a kid, was called Screwball Scramble in Europe (or the UK at least)

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I had an unhealthy amount of Ninja Turtle toys.

Tons of figures, turtle van, sewer base play set, blimp, submarine, pizza shooter, shredders convertible, etc. never had the technodrome though.

I was envious of my friend's Ghost Busters toys. He had the firehouse and ecto-1. Those toys were really cool.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Scandalous Wench posted:

I almost forgot about Sylvanian families. I had the squirrel family. :3:

They still exist, as Calico Critters. My daughter has the camper trailer. Lots of tiny parts to lose, jeesh.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

It gets more and more abstract

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Quad posted:

I had that bad boy, but the cockpit roof got snapped off by the force of the little dude ejecting from the seat. Still pretty badass though, and the noises it made were proper REALLY loving ANNOYING loud "laser" noises.

I had that one too. The anime cartoon dogfight bird were pretty impressive to me at the time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did the giant GI Joe aircraft carrier really float?

It seems like all the kids that had that, or the giant transformer that turned into a base, etc had parents that were divorced.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The USS Flagg. I think every kid wanted that drat thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYAiuJoZ7JI

Barrington
Oct 5, 2010

Mo' shekels
Anybody remember these?

I had 3-4 of these figures, totally scratched and worn to poo poo as they were handed down from my big cousin to me. I remember in the commercial they looked amazing, but in reality the holograms were really crummy. I now make holograms for a living, so I guess they were good for something.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Gerry Anderson's (Thunderbirds) Space Precinct was awesome, as were the toys too. Very under rated stuff. The cruiser was amazing

Terminator had some cool toys too, with a line of totall weird poo poo. I remember the horned devil from the films too!

Come to think of it, I hated it when toys had goofy non-accurate poo poo included in their lines. Look at this poo poo from Jurassic Park's line. SKINNER!

Time for a palate cleanse, the classic red rex :)

ps - the guy in green pictured above is Dennis Nedry, the fat computer nerd - remember when he had a flamethrower?

Algae Magnet
Jul 1, 2013
Jetfire/Skyfire from Transformers

Lost all his bits, but still played with him so much that eventually 1 of this arms broke off.
A kick-rear end toy.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

motherfucking lego!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Looking for a toy I had but can't remember the name of, it was basically this: http://www.amazon.com/SmartLab-Toys-Demolition-Triple-Warehouse/dp/B00BD9BXBM
But without all the graphics, just plastic girders, joints, and a little plunger thing with a timer that you would use to blow up your huge skycraper you just spent an hour building. Anyone?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You could just post pretty much all the GI Joe vehicles and playsets. I had a ton of the action figures but none of the awesome bigger toys to go with them, and one of my mom's rich friends son had all of them and would never let me play with them. That was some bullshit

Gogo Logo
Nov 11, 2008
I don't know what it was called so I can't look it up but my fav as a child (or one of) was this little yellow plastic dog with a bone in its mouth. It had a red pull "leash" that would propel it on wheels and the drat thing blew bubbles from its mouth as it walked. (anyone have any idea what it was called? I'd love to find one if I can. This was in the early 90s.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Verily I Shat posted:

Not my image, but Robotech VF1

Algae Magnet posted:

Jetfire/Skyfire from Transformers

Lost all his bits, but still played with him so much that eventually 1 of this arms broke off.
A kick-rear end toy.

Look familiar? Yup Jetfire was a Valkyrie from Macross/Robotech with the numbers filled off, and the main reason he looked so different in the cartoon.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Gogo Logo posted:

I don't know what it was called so I can't look it up but my fav as a child (or one of) was this little yellow plastic dog with a bone in its mouth. It had a red pull "leash" that would propel it on wheels and the drat thing blew bubbles from its mouth as it walked. (anyone have any idea what it was called? I'd love to find one if I can. This was in the early 90s.)

Was it this?

If so it's a Playskool Bubbles the Pup Motorized Walking Bubble-Blowing Dog

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Beyblade, approx 2001:

I had the lime green one, (far left, middle row), which I think was called Draciel.

My mother's steel mixing bowl has a bunch of dents all over it from battling my brother.

My brother, incidentally, got really frustrated, as his "Seaborg" had a rubber spinning point, which sucked and eventually broke.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

One of the greatest disappointments of my childhood was the squandering of the precious annual fast-food excursion by find the stupid loving ice-cream dinosaur. Everyone knows the mcnuggetsaur was the best.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Pogs!

'Milkcap' aka cheap pogs, maker.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Motherfucking SOUNDWAVE

I envied the bejesus out of one of my older cousins for having this.
A giant robot that turned into a boombox and launched tapes that transformed into smaller murder-bots. God drat.. SO 80s.
And soundwave had the coolest voice in the cartoon.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Beyblade, approx 2001:

Spinjas, circa 1988:

Dammit :colbert:

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

1980s Alphie, the learning robot. He doesn't look like much but you could insert cards for various puzzles and quizzes. His happy little electronic beeps and flashing lights gave him a sense of personality. He was super fun to play with.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

This thread is bringing up insanely visceral memories from when I was like 6. I remember how the ninja turtle weapons feel in my mouth and the disgusting electrical fire smell that the creepy crawler oven made.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

OP I had all those toys except the megazord and stretch Armstrong. They were on my birthday and Christmas list for like 2 years running but alas :(

The JP compound was rad as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Motherfucking SOUNDWAVE

I envied the bejesus out of one of my older cousins for having this.
A giant robot that turned into a boombox and launched tapes that transformed into smaller murder-bots. God drat.. SO 80s.
And soundwave had the coolest voice in the cartoon.

Never had him as a child, but I managed to find an anniversary edition at the local TRU. It's still in the box, in another box somewhere.

• Locked thread