Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I also had another toy that I loved but seems to have become obscure: Multimac. It was a modular sci-fi themed toy where you combine parts to make spaceships or robots or other vehicles. Lots of fun!

Well hello. I had one of those, never could figure out what line it was from.

Ozz81 posted:

MASK (sweet theme, always wanted a flying Camaro or crotch rocket that turned into a helicopter)

This was, as they say, extremely my poo poo. Always wondered why these didn't stay more popular, like Transformers did, though if I'm honest, most MASK vehicles haven't aged super well.

These guys were pretty cool:

Winspector, based on a sentai show. Although my reasoning back in the day went more like "cool shiny robot!" They seriously didn't disappoint - they had a ton of accessories, and that armor was all separate pieces held on with pegs. Underneath was a skinny black figure with an insane amount of articulation for the 90s. Those breatplates and shin pieces, and the figures' feet, were metal as well. Seriously hefty things.

There was a car, too, that turned from a regular car into, well, a different-colored car with guns. Pretty nice engineering for its day though. Not unlike MASK vehicles if MASK vehicles were more subdued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ4mRiq_AV4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Foxhound posted:

I can't believe nobody posted Crash Test Dummies yet. The ones we got got broke very fast, as in beyond what they were supposed to break.

They had this huge playset where you'd strap a dummy in a chair and fire him at either a breakaway wall or a bit that measured impact force. You could even pick whether you fired him at a dashboard or a car bumper. In retrospect, that was a really weird toyline in a J.G. Ballard way.

e: there also was a cat to go with the dog above, and their action feature was they'd go flat with their legs splayed out. Kinda, uh, close to home with the vehicle theme.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Oct 18, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For one Christmas my entire wishlist was the Ice Planet line and I got almost all sets. Naturally, they gravitated towards the low-price end of the scale, but I did get that big space cruiser up there. In fact if I turn around right now I get a good look at it. :v:

Not to be all grumpy old man here but they really don't make Lego like they used to. Like, the builds are still great and all, but if they did Ice Planet these days they'd have a faction of evil ice monsters named Freezoid and Frosto, with small token monster vehicles getting all up in the good sets' poo poo. There would be a glacier themed tank or something as the big monster set of the theme (second largest set), and very likely a backstory around finding the five ice crystals or whatever to unlock the frozen gate (largest).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Holy poo poo yes. I had that space ship too, the double cockpit was radical as gently caress when I first saw it.
I never had it but the cockpit setup blew my mind when I saw it in a promo picture. Kinda feel like breaking down the Ice Planet cruiser and emulating something like it now...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lego Friends is objectively the worst amirite fellas but it has really good colors. I was genuinely tempted to pick up a pop star set and use the black, blue and pink bricks for some kind of retro 80s neon thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That doesn't sound like a Transformers-brand transformer. I don't think they started with the spring-loaded stuff until relatively recently. But you're in luck: internet people are obsessive enough that if you know the color and roughly what it looked like, you can check for yourself!

e: actually did find a Transformer that kind of fits the bill maybe? http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Overlord_%28Masterforce%29#Toys

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha holy poo poo, never knew about those. Transformers had so many weird subgroups with a unique gimmick but only 2-4 figures that shared it. Probably from how Hasbro licensed these things?

e: vvv I spent some time on the identifier site a few years ago and yeah remembering them as much cooler is a thing with these.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Jan 7, 2016

• Locked thread