Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

There is practically zero money in computer science unless you have a Ph.D in a hot area (machine learning, for example). This is because computer science is not the same thing as being a professional software developer. An undergraduate CS education will give you a vast amount of theoretical knowledge, but that theoretical knowledge does not transfer into actually writing software professionally. The theoretical knowledge can come in handy, but the big, important things can be learned from Wikipedia or a good algorithms/data structures textbook.

You will not get a job in a role like that without first being a developer for many years. Sometimes you'll get a job like that by being very good, other times by being very bad. But you won't get it without plenty of experience first.

Eh, you could probably get a low paying (like 40-50k a year, which is still quite good for anyone without better prospects) job relatively easily if you're not terrible at programming. For every Google job, there are many jobs working for random businesses, governments, etc. I'm a super lovely programmer and still managed to find a job with the money I mentioned + good benefits that consists of just fixing software bugs and adding new features (though at least it's in the context of scientific research, so I imagine it's a lot more interesting than having to work with some random small business's code).

If the idea of sitting in front of a computer all day isn't appealing, though, you definitely shouldn't go this route (though I would think this would be obvious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread