Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Does anyone have experience or at least accounts about how a new, accompanying pet works to help deal with separation anxiety? I know it's probably naive to think adding another pet (which is a big decision) would solve the problem, but I usually hear other dog owners talk about how since they have x dogs in the house, they don't have a problem with separation anxiety.

I have a husky and may be in a similar situation as OP about moving in the near future, except I'm not so much worried about her making noise as I am about her destroying things. I've snuck up on my husky a handful of times when I had time and pretended to leave, driving the car out of the garage and everything, and went around back to check on her. It seems like she does her destructive behavior almost immediately after she thinks I've left, and very methodically at that. She doesn't whine, pout, or try to find me. I see her staring at the door to the garage, and as soon as she decides I'm gone, she makes her rounds jumping on tables to see if there's food or anything worth taking that she would otherwise never touch if I'm in the house. I've stood out back as she exited the dog door with a loaf of bread in her mouth, ready to bury it.

I'm just not sure what to do because she's disciplined when I'm around, but does sneaky things like this when left alone. I reprimanded her as I caught her in the act too, so I don't know how to further teach her about this when she doesn't do anything wrong in my presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread