Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
coffee is a vector for caffeine. anything about that is autism sorry. i mean maybe you like to bask in your spectrum? i try to avoid it but I won't judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

post half nudes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

coffee is a vector for caffeine. anything about that is autism sorry. i mean maybe you like to bask in your spectrum? i try to avoid it but I won't judge

food is a vector for nutrients. that's why i, as a man who is not autistic, choose soylent

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

echinopsis posted:

so you're comparing a kitchen cooker you are intimately familiar with against tools you aren't??

nah i use induction and electric all the time in other people's kitchens, cooking meals for invalid family members, etc. all that poo poo sucks. i only use the best at home

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
regardless of ur opinion on gas vs nduction, i think we can all agree that electric (w/ the coils) is supremely the worst

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Triglav posted:

nah i use induction and electric all the time in other people's kitchens, cooking meals for invalid family members, etc. all that poo poo sucks. i only use the best at home

u must be the one that sucks mate coz i cook nice poo poo on indunction

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

electric easybake garbage

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

echinopsis posted:

u must be the one that sucks mate coz i cook nice poo poo on indunction

a frog in a well cannot conceive of the ocean, my friend

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lame mate

perhaps its just me, but i got kids and need to cook all sorts of family poo poo and then steak or meat or porridge or anything on mine and induction did all flawlessly, without making fires, or burning hands, and afterward i had a nice flat surface to use

the ONLY thing I didn't like about it was the spilling water on the controls didnt work well. other than that it owns

maybe if i had a million dollars id ALSO have gas.. but i wouldnt ONLY have gas

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
one nice thing about chicago is that cooking/heat is all gas and cooling is electric, landlords don't put a stop to it i guess because they dont have to pay for either.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

also coffee on the stove? what in the ever loving gently caress

oh god

what have you done

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
i bought an aeropress a week ago, it makes good coffee but you have to heat the water on the stove

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tatsujin posted:

one nice thing about chicago

lol no

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Syncopated posted:

i bought an aeropress a week ago, it makes good coffee but you have to heat the water on the stove

why cant you heat it in a jug

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah in america you heat water on the stove

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wow
such primitive

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

echinopsis posted:

sorry dude but jug is like some old timey down south word. the future is stove heating

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

*echi sits at his desk, sipping his coffee from his 15lb clay jug labled XXX*

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

do you mean an electric kettle?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Smythe posted:

regardless of ur opinion on gas vs nduction, i think we can all agree that electric (w/ the coils) is supremely the worst

o ya deffo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

duTrieux. posted:

do you mean an electric kettle?
yeag

Cat Face Joe posted:

*echi sits at his desk, sipping his coffee from his 15lb clay jug labled XXX*

yum

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

airbnbI mean San Francisco for Everyone: No on the Home Sharing Ban, Sponsored and Major Funding by Airbnb* mailed me four things yesterday

i love the proposition F

airbnb was super aggressive and all gently caress you and then bought themselves some legislators to get some weak sauce regulation, and now democracy strikes back. vengeance is a bitch

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i love the proposition F

airbnb was super aggressive and all gently caress you and then bought themselves some legislators to get some weak sauce regulation, and now democracy strikes back. vengeance is a bitch

they're outspending the pro camp like 100:1 though, they've dumped $8 million into this

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i love the proposition F

protip you can report your neighbors under prop F and the city will be forced to send an inspector and bill your neighbor for their time, and even if they've never used AirBNB and you were making it all up there will be no consequences for you whatsoever

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

echinopsis posted:

there are different coffees and different ways of making coffee, just as there are different foods and different ways of making food. some of these ways are bad (i.e. they dont require gas)

using an aeropress, some people heat the water in a tea kettle. other people might microwave the water lol. other people might not heat the water at all because they like it room temp or cold. you push the water down through the grind to make your coffee. the contraption looks like a coffee bong or coffee penis pump

moka pots work by pushing heated water up through the grind to make coffee. they make electric moka pots if you live in the developing world without gas. they're like a more complex tea kettle

turkish coffee is made with the grind and water in the same pot. they work on electric stoves but the coffee's not as good. turkish coffee requires balancing the coffee's rise against the even heat of your cooking surface, finishing by moving the pot in and out of the heat source so the coffee can rise and fall multiple times. the traditional method involves placing the coffee pot in heated sand, but it works well on round stove-top burners

hope this heklps

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

protip you can report your neighbors under prop F and the city will be forced to send an inspector and bill them for their time, and even if they've never used AirBNB and you were making it all up there will be no consequences for you whatsoever

that's already the case in every sane city in the world. the department of buildings responds to reports of illegal occupancy. prop F is actually way better than that. you can actually sue your neighbors for their horrid bullshit, and line your own pockets with their ill-gotten, community-despoiling gains.

also, on a personal note, gently caress you and your disgusting nerd tenements, shadowhawk. you are why we have to have building inspectors and pass restrictive laws in the first place.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

they're outspending the pro camp like 100:1 though, they've dumped $8 million into this

airbnb has spent millions in new york, too, and it hasn't bought them a god drat thing

people really loving hate illegal hotels

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
“If the city sits on your complaint and does nothing, you should have the ability to protect your right to privacy and quiet enjoyment of your home,” he said. “If a neighbor has to go to all the trouble of doing all the work the city should otherwise be doing, why shouldn’t they be entitled to the same compensation as the city?”

That prospect gives Airbnb hosts chills.

“There are financial incentives to encourage neighbors to try to make money on one another; that’s not the neighborhood I want to live in,” said David Jacoby. He and his wife Kim rent out a room in their Richmond District house to Airbnb travelers for about nine months of the year, which he said helps them afford the city’s escalating costs. The rest of the time, his parents stay there while visiting from Connecticut. The Jacobys are such fans of Airbnb that they appear in the No on F campaign ads with their preschoolers. David Jacoby is thinking about starting a business to help other hosts.

lol good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

problem [well, one problem] with sf politics is like 1/3 of the city is so new they haven't bothered registering to vote and even then turnout is balls [like ~30%] if it's not a presidential election

this is why they pander so hard in chinatown, it's the only reliable voting bloc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

problem with sf politics is like 1/3 of the city is so new they haven't bothered registering to vote and even then turnout is balls [like ~30%] if it's not a presidential election

yes this will be amazing

it's paid shills (airbnb hosts) vs crotchety angry oldtimers (airbnb victims, aka the neighbors of every airbnb host)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i can hardly afford the home i only occupy three months of the year!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also, on a personal note, gently caress you and your disgusting nerd tenements, shadowhawk. you are why we have to have building inspectors and pass restrictive laws in the first place.
Ahh I think I understand where you're coming from now. It's not unusual to want to get rid of "those people" once you consider a neighborhood pure.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Triglav posted:

i can hardly afford the home i only occupy three months of the year!

upside: they can "afford" a slightly nicer home

downside: decades of therapy for their children after they're repeatedly molested by airbnb customers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
seriously look at the photos their creepy sockless airbnb guest is leering at the children in most of them

these are supposed to be the heartwarming shots that make us vote against prop f

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Would-SF-Prop-F-spur-Airbnb-suits-with-neighbor-6472468.php#photo-8550003

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Airbnb representatives said, “This ballot proposal is nothing more than a Trojan Horse that would effectively ban home sharing, cost the city revenue, and make San Francisco unaffordable for thousands of families.”

ahahaha

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in case the rest of you are wondering here's the law

quote:

Maximum days of rental
This initiative would limit both hosted and un-hosted short-term rentals to a maximum of 75 days per year. A hosted rental is a unit that is rented out while a permanent resident also resides at the unit during the rental period. A un-hosted rental is the rental of a unit at which no permanent residents reside during the rental period. Current city law allows 90 days of un-hosted short-term rentals for any given unit and permits unlimited hosted short-term rentals.[8]

Interested parties with legal standing
This initiative would establish anyone who lives within 100 feet of a unit used for short-term rentals as an "interested party" with legal standing to sue violators of the initiative. Current city law dictates that an "interested party" was any person who lived in the same building as a short-term unit. Proposition F would also give legal standing to any housing-related nonprofit.[8]

Online hosting platforms
This initiative would make it illegal for any hosting website, such as Airbnb, to list a short-term rental unit if the unit was not eligible for rent according to city law. Thus, Airbnb would be required to remove the listing for any unit that had been rented out for more than 75 days in any given year. Moreover, this initiative would allow any "interested party" to sue the hosting platform or their neighbor for any listing in violation of the law. Current city law does not require hosting platforms to remove listings in accordance to city law and does not give legal standing to interested parties to sue online hosting platforms or their neighbors.[8]

In-law units
The city's laws as of the beginning of 2015 allowed in-law units to be rented as un-hosted short-term rentals, subject to the 90 day annual cap. Proposition F was designed to prohibit the use of in-law units for short-term rentals entirely.[8]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is mostly because airbnb won't give the city the data it asked for when they agreed to the earlier regulations [probably because it makes them look really bad]

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ShadowHawk posted:

Ahh I think I understand where you're coming from now. It's not unusual to want to get rid of "those people" once you consider a neighborhood pure.

yes, much like uber this is actually about equality. i can tell because

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm renting out bedrooms to actual humans who found the market so ridiculous it was worth paying airbnb's fee and my marked up prices just so they wouldn't have to deal with the whole subletting process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm glad you enjoy running an illegal boarding house, but framing it as an equality issue while explaining how your app creates a barrier to entry resulting in a higher class of clientele is pretty crass.

• Locked thread