Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Be a baller like me and rent a 5 bedroom home then rerent the other 4 rooms on airbnb and pay net negative rent in motherfucking mountain view

All for the cost of doing some extra laundry and changing sheets every now and again. You gotta clean a bit more too but that's stuff you shoulda been doing anyway.

If the check-in/out load gets too annoying just put discounts on longer stays and fill up on on 3-month interns who are desperate not to sign a real lease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I tell people I rent out 4/5 of the house to strangers and they're usually surprised to find out I hardly ever see them even though I spend most of my home time in the common areas.

When you're staying at an AirBNB you're pretty much either vacationing, business traveling, or doing a temporary work reassignment and thus you don't really have much cause to dole around the house.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Management posted:

and you're declaring that extra income on your taxes, certainly?
If you make enough on airbnb they have to file forms with the IRS so yeah.

I get to deduct a good chunk of the rent to compensate though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Condiv posted:

you have a house? i thought you lived in a hacker hostel and ate dinner at a cafeteria table
I rent a home that's going to be demolished in a couple years and told the landlord I'd keep renting until he's ready to pull the trigger.

It's a pretty sweet deal actually because he has no reason to worry about damages to the place. Thus I can actually have pets.

People in this area are insane about that. I've seen homes for rent with literal $15,000 security deposits that have strict rules against pets. How an animal could possibly cause that amount of damage unless it's a pet elephant or something I have no idea.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

BONGHITZ posted:

were the veggies eaten?
Nope. I've gained weight since then too.

Condiv posted:

you have a house? i thought you lived in a hacker hostel and ate dinner at a cafeteria table
I still eat dinner at cafeterias don't worry.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Condiv posted:

why would you eat dinner at a cafeteria instead of at home or at least at a restaurant/bar?
because I make poor life choices

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Management posted:

he's working his way up to slumlord
If Silicon Valley had more slumlords it might actually be possible to rent a two bedroom for less than the national median income

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

indigi posted:

airbnb rules and sucks. all the places I've stayed in were great but one time I left a really nice blazer in one and texted the landlady "hey can you get it and send it back to me" and she replied essentially "wat lol" and I never got it back
Yeah you should give that host a bad review. I totally mail poo poo back to guests and also let them have stuff mailed here in advance and I store it for them. They're a bit more like roommates due to the longer stay though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i enjoyed the last b&b i stayed in with the bf but i couldnt host one of my own because i remember back in school when people would put coins and pencils in the giant fan until it started making terrifying noises and i dont have a giant fan but they might find something else to break
I've taken on ~30 guests so far and the only bad experience I had was with a couple of foreigners who didn't understand the concept of shower curtains. Leave bad review, shrug it off.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

tell us more about your impending bedbug infestation

having random strangers sleep in your home constantly is a recipe for pestilence, and keeping that down is hard even for hotels with industrial cleaning poo poo and endless supplies of clean towels and sheets
by way of comparison, if I rent 4 rooms on airbnb to people who stay there for a month on average that's about 50 strangers a year

a small hotel with 40 rooms, an 80% occupancy rate, and an average stay of 3 nights faces about 3900 strangers a year

so that's about 80 times the exposure

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

obstipator posted:

if anyone in ur hacker house codes anything of value, try to take credit for a piece of it somehow
The whole Silicon Valley-style Erlich Bachmann live-in incubator model basically means being a VC but investing your spare rooms in startups rather than your money. Which only makes sense if you have VC-levels of assets and know something about the industry and what makes a reasonable startup.

So I've considered it, but certainly not at this point in my career. Maybe if I'm stupid wealthy and still renting out rooms in my house in a couple decades*

* note I'll never have a family because no one will ever love me

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

infernal machines posted:

also, shadowhawk, you do realize you're primping over how you run a flophouse but with an app right? like, i live in a fairly lovely part of town and i could list probably 20 places in two blocks that do the same thing, the difference being they don't have a techno-shim between them and the renters. congrats on embracing uber for housing
I'm renting out bedrooms to actual humans who found the market so ridiculous it was worth paying airbnb's fee and my marked up prices just so they wouldn't have to deal with the whole subletting process.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

the hotel also has far superior sanitation equipment and practices to anything you're doing, guaranteed. plus health codes and inspections that force it to have those practices and be vigilant for signs of trouble

it only takes one careless stranger to deposit parasites or something in your home
this is why I refuse to eat food from strangers kitchens or go to house parties

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i love the proposition F

airbnb was super aggressive and all gently caress you and then bought themselves some legislators to get some weak sauce regulation, and now democracy strikes back. vengeance is a bitch
protip you can report your neighbors under prop F and the city will be forced to send an inspector and bill your neighbor for their time, and even if they've never used AirBNB and you were making it all up there will be no consequences for you whatsoever

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also, on a personal note, gently caress you and your disgusting nerd tenements, shadowhawk. you are why we have to have building inspectors and pass restrictive laws in the first place.
Ahh I think I understand where you're coming from now. It's not unusual to want to get rid of "those people" once you consider a neighborhood pure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah in case you missed it, shadowhawk first moved into, then ended up running, an illegal hotel for techies. his dirty business is exactly what prop F is trying to destroy
I live in a 5 bedroom house and rent my rooms out for 2+months at a time to individuals. I use airbnb for booking and handling the payments so that I don't have to spend time loving around with strangers on craigslist.

I used to live in a hacker hostel and ended up "investing" in it and then running the bookkeeping, where I quickly discovered the group of 3 houses was a big money pit. I then got to stay there for free, although cost-wise it worked out to slightly better than renting. I carried on bookkeeping after i didn't need to live there anymore as a favor to the owner, who is a friend of mine and had to keep dumping her personal cash into it to keep the place afloat. I advised her to close it earlier but she was a bit too attached to the community that'd emerged around it. The venture never broke even on an annual basis in terms of cash, though it did allow a person to stay at each house without paying in exchange for taking on cleaning/booking duties. AirBNB made a reasonable profit though.

quote:

they stuff like 30 desperate loving nerds in a 4 bedroom house by filling every room with bunkbeds. i cannot imagine the squalor. or odor.
I enjoyed my time there, but to be fair I am a filthy bottom-dweller.

• Locked thread