Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The fanart that Austin retweets varies a lot in quality, but this was too good to pass by.

"oh boy i can't believe "paper lisa" was announced for the nintendo switch" from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

GeneralYeti posted:

By my interpretation, Brad is right for the wrong reasons. Yeah, it's not possible to save humanity with just Buddy, but he's not trying to rescue her because of that. He's trying to rescue her because of what she represents - his second chance at being the hero, the role model that protects his family from harm. And by putting her in that box of designated victim that he needs to protect, Buddy doesn't get to grow up or live her own life. By accident, Brad is continuing the cycle of abuse, just because he doesn't know any different.

As for Rando keeping Buddy safe, I don't know? The guy is bar none the best person in Olathe (in my opinion), but on the other hand we've already seen that once his back is turned his gang actively goes against his orders.

Thanks for this. I also had a hard time wondering why Brad was supposed to be such a despicable person. This helps the perspective for me

Historical Wizards
Jul 3, 2016

C-Euro posted:

E: Do we know Brad's age at any point in this story? He says he's been "dead" for 35 years but he seems like he should be older than that, based on how he looks during pre-Flash sequences vs in-game and the ages of the characters around him (Buddy, kid Rando vs Rando Rando etc.)

I assume the 'dead for 35 years' comment has to do with Lisa's death, which I figure happened in Brad's late teens or early twenties putting him in his 50's

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Historical Wizards posted:

I assume the 'dead for 35 years' comment has to do with Lisa's death, which I figure happened in Brad's late teens or early twenties putting him in his 50's

Given how lovely he was raised by Marty in the opening flashback, I figured it was referring to his age (which is all the sadder, him having been "dead" for his whole life) and he just aged badly.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"Today is the day that I live" is such a chilling line. Like in any other context it'd be heroic, here...

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

LashLightning posted:

Am I missing something or am I just crazy in thinking that Brad isn't as bad as thought? I mean, Marty is still a bigger rear end in a top hat than he is by leagues, it's impossible to "save" humanity with one woman alone and would Rando really keep Buddy safer than Brad?

I never really saw Brad as a malicious person so much as a very stubborn one with no idea how to relate to people, who hurts others unintentionally (and, uh, intentionally, by fireballing them to death, but). It's important to remember that nobody in LISA is really unbiased. Of course Buddy is going to say that Brad is the worst - she's young and doesn't know much, especially since she's lived in a basement all her life. Of course Buzzo is going to say Brad is the worst, he... ??? something. He has some real personal motivation, that much is clear.

Anyway, it all just strikes me as very unfortunate. Brad is leagues better than Marty as a dad because he's not actively, horribly and intentionally abusive all of the time, but he's not a great dad because he keeps his secret daughter locked in the basement. On the other hand, he keeps his secret daughter locked in the basement so she won't get assaulted and murdered, which honestly she probably would be. We've seen what the dudes out there are like. I feel like he wouldn't do it in a pre-apocalyptic world, but who can say for sure? And regardless of his dad skills, he's doomed from the start because Joy.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Brad literally beat his "daughter" unconscious so that she couldn't get in the way while beat a helpless old man to death in front of her.

Brad is not a good person.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Brad was a lost cause from the very beginning. He's a tragic figure, but definitely not a blameless or heroic one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Brad, the sad bad dad.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
If only Brad were a glad dad instead of a sad dad he might have been a rad dad and not a bad dad.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gutter Owl posted:

Brad literally beat his "daughter" unconscious so that she couldn't get in the way while beat a helpless old man to death in front of her.

Weird how being abused all your life, witnessing your sister being driven to suicide and being a drug addict would make you prone to psychotic episodes.

Weirder still that this somehow makes you a "bad person" to internet analysts.

If I have one issue with the plot, it's that Brad appears too justified in what he does, making his surroundings seem warped.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Weird how being abused all your life, witnessing your sister being driven to suicide and being a drug addict would make you prone to psychotic episodes.

If I have one issue with the plot, it's that Brad appears too justified in what he does, making his surroundings seem warped.

"You don't have an excuse. Not with me." -Tony "Sticky" Agoneli

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Necroskowitz posted:

If only Brad were a glad dad instead of a sad dad he might have been a rad dad and not a bad dad.

He had the Joy in him, just not the good kind, like what you'd want.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The game is seen through his eyes, literally, if you think about stuff like the Marty spiders and the flashbacks, so it's not surprising that the narrative almost warps itself to justify his actions. It's not until someone steps up and challenges him, that we begin to think Brad's not so justified in his crusade. By the end, even Brad is unable to deny what he's done and he's finally seeing himself as everyone else does. Everything he does comes from a place of love, but it's the most destructive kind there is.

At least Cheeks did nothing wrong. Rip.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Cheeks found a candy bar once and gave it to Buddy :kiddo:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The best three people in Olathe: Rando, Cheeks and Terry. You know this is true in your hearts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

lotus circle posted:

The best three people in Olathe: Rando Buzzo, Cheeks Buzzo and Terry Buzzo. You know this is true in your hearts.

There we go!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No on in Olathe is a good person. They're all dipshits.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

No on in Olathe is a good person. They're all dipshits.

Except for Carp.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

RZApublican posted:

Except for Carp.

Rip in peace dear carp

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Birdie is a sad alcoholic but that's less dipshit and more depressing

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

That old man deserved it.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Gonzo McFee posted:

That old man deserved it.

The point is that Buddy didn't. She didn't deserve to be turned into a surrogate for Brad's sister, she didn't deserve to be abused and confined, she didn't deserve to get beaten by the man who was supposed to be her protector, and she didn't deserve to witness firsthand one of the most brutal murders Olathe ever was home to.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

RZApublican posted:

Except for Carp.

Knife wizard is in first place, with fish lawyer coming a close second.

Koriar
Apr 22, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

"You don't have an excuse. Not with me." -Tony "Sticky" Agoneli

I did not get the full meaning of this line until just now.

I can also see things from Brad's side, and I've had a time in my life where I've seriously lost my way and had to come back from it, so I'm sympathetic to more of it than most.

But I would have absolutely no response to that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Did Dingaling delete his twitter?

Gutter Owl posted:

It's kind of questionable how responsible Brad is for his actions after he was force-fed Joy by Buzzo.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

He had the Joy in him, just not the good kind, like what you'd want.

The game is seen through his eyes, literally, if you think about stuff like the Marty spiders and the flashbacks, so it's not surprising that the narrative almost warps itself to justify his actions. It's not until someone steps up and challenges him, that we begin to think Brad's not so justified in his crusade. By the end, even Brad is unable to deny what he's done and he's finally seeing himself as everyone else does. Everything he does comes from a place of love, but it's the most destructive kind there is.

At least Cheeks did nothing wrong. Rip.

Ding has commented a few times he thinks people view Brad as being way better of a person then he actually is.

Doseku posted:

Another neat note is that although the Joy lab didn't really explain anything it was also the only place that contained the only other female in the entire game who perhaps died recently considering that she wasn't a skeleton nor a mutant. Kinda makes you wonder what she was doing there and if she is somehow related to Dr. Yado.

There's nothing stated, but there's a note in the lab that gives a hint.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 25, 2017

Historical Wizards
Jul 3, 2016

Koriar posted:

I did not get the full meaning of this line until just now.

I can also see things from Brad's side, and I've had a time in my life where I've seriously lost my way and had to come back from it, so I'm sympathetic to more of it than most.

But I would have absolutely no response to that.

I think Brad would have plenty to say on account of him believing Sticky took advantage of Buddy.

It's pretty clear that Rick didn't know much about Brad's life so it makes me wonder how much Sticky really knew. He knew about his drug addition and I'm assuming he knew about Brad getting beaten, but how much beyond that? Did he even know that Brad had a sister?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

It's kind of questionable how responsible Brad is for his actions after he was force-fed Joy by Buzzo.

There's nothing stated, but there's a note in the lab that gives a hint.
As Dr. Yado says in the Joyless ending, it doesn't take much Joy before the user starts to lose it. Brad was losing control the first time he beat the hell out of Rick. Also in the Joyless ending, he talks about using his daughter Nancy. There's nothing explicitly stated, but put 2 and 2 together.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Cuntellectual posted:

Did Dingaling delete his twitter?

He's COMETandCROW now for some reason
https://twitter.com/COMETandCROW

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Fudge Handsome posted:

He's COMETandCROW now for some reason
https://twitter.com/COMETandCROW

He's basically going into a private mode where he barely uses social media for a while so he can focus on making Ninja Tears is all.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Cuntellectual posted:

Ding has commented a few times he thinks people view Brad as being way better of a person then he actually is.

Speaks to the accidental strength of the writing.

The writing is ambiguous and allows enough freedom that Brad as a person really is in the eye of the beholder - if you believe in the best of people, he is largely a screwup who largely means well.

The accidental part comes from Dingaling evidently not wanting that interpretation. If a writer leaves something ambiguous they kind-of forfeit the right to later go "well, actually…"

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
LISA is told from Brad's point of view. We normally only get a 1-sided view of bad people, and we don't see all the times they did good things and we don't see all the factors that explain their actions. It's a lot easier to conclude Brad isn't bad than that we're not morally strong enough.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's not the first time people identify with a pov character even if they're poo poo people, see John Martson.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Agean90 posted:

It's not the first time people identify with a pov character even if they're poo poo people, see John Martson.

Or Walter white.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Don Draper (apparently...)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What all these characters have in common is toxic masculinity.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I would say thats a weakness of the writing, rather than a strength. While we do only see it from Brad's point of view, if the intention was to make him look bad or worse, more could have been done to guide the player towards that. I kinda think too that one of the problems is a large part of the problem is we don't know how much is Brad being Brad, and how much is the joy affecting his decisions.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

DeliciousCookie posted:

I would say thats a weakness of the writing, rather than a strength. While we do only see it from Brad's point of view, if the intention was to make him look bad or worse, more could have been done to guide the player towards that. I kinda think too that one of the problems is a large part of the problem is we don't know how much is Brad being Brad, and how much is the joy affecting his decisions.

Who cares? Brad's a horrible person who's had a horrible life and now passes that on to others. Saying it was because of Joy or sexual abuse or just being a naturally bad person doesn't change the fact that he's the worst and a mass murderer and ruined everything.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
I like that. It's a side effect of Brad being an unreliable narrator. You can read between the lines and see Brad for the horrible monster he is, or you can stay at the Brad level and see the justifications for his actions played straight.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
That's a really nice way of seeing it. Hadn't thought of it that way.

Otoh, Buddy is also not really a reliable narrator. She's, what, early teenager? At that age she has little idea about what is good for her and will hate her "parents" as an act of rebellion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

klafbang posted:

Otoh, Buddy is also not really a reliable narrator. She's, what, early teenager? At that age she has little idea about what is good for her and will hate her "parents" as an act of rebellion.
She doesn't hate Brad as an act of rebellion though. She hates him because he kept her sheltered away since she was an infant, and never even told her why. Then she gets taken from that home by her uncles, not even knowing why until later, and gets chased by every man who sees her for one reason or another. There are wanted posters plastered with her face, people who want to maim her or worse. And it's not like she was unwilling to reunite with Brad at first when he found her in the cavern - she just wanted to know why.

But that's the thing: Brad doesn't want to tell her why. If he tells her, he's putting choice into her hands. The choice to be humanity's last hope or not. He doesn't want that. He wants her to come back with him, to be in that small home again, and make sure she never leaves. That's why she hates him - Brad wants to keep her safe, but he doesn't want her to decide if that's what she wants. He's denying her the agency to make a decision, an important one at that. And yes Buddy is a teenager, but she's clearly changed by all she experiences while going through Olathe. She runs from Brad toward the end because she knows there is no future with him. He won't give her one that isn't being locked away under his roof, because she represents his second chance and he can't let that go. He can't let her go.

Joyful digs into Buddy's mentality a bit more and I won't go into it since VoD plans to cover it, but Buddy interests me a lot because she's a reversal of the "young child the apocalyptic dad must protect at all costs." Unlike most of those child characters, Buddy does not want to be with her apocalyptic dad and he refuses to accept that.

• Locked thread