Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao

Today, I'm paying for a weekend of spicy pilgrimage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

This sauce by Simpatica / Laurelhurst Market here in Portland is really earning its keep on spicy. It's very intense, hot ghost chili flavor in an apple cider vinegar base, but it's very flavorful. I like ghost chili better than habanero because the heat is most spread around and it seems to spread it out over a longer period of time instead of the just insanely intense feel of habaneros, but that could just be how they've mixed this, I don't know. Really good.

GEExCEE

Crazy Juice - by the makers of Psycho Milk

fuck. marry. t-rex

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Have your tried a meatball?

*eating a meatball*

Thats-a spicy meat-a-ball

alnilam

ADIDAS: All Day I Dream About Spicy

Mapparu

how would you recommend someone who isn't doesn't eat spicy foods (or a white person) except for hot sauces... how to get into spicy foods??? where should I start?

GEExCEE

Try pouring hot sauce on bland foods that you would normally eat, like salad or cereal

RudeCat

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Eat a chili pepper every day, every other day increase the amount of peppers you eat by one.

Never stop.

Afro Doug

mayonnaise. get on my level. oh wait you cant because YOU WEAK

kuskus

ballast point makes a habanero sculpin. the heat varies because it's small batch but it has the heat and delicious alcohol that I need

Senior Management

Go to an authentic Thai reasturant and order something Thai Spicy. Could work with authentic levels of Indian food spicy too. I have had some drat good spicy Thai stuff.

:jerry:

Al Borland

by XyloJW
just go with your old friend garlic and a little black pepper.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
How hard is it to make your own hot sauce?

Al Borland

by XyloJW

Spanish Manlove posted:

can't be that hard. a blender some spicy stuff and a base?

----------------

Weekend Bridges

by Smythe

Spanish Manlove posted:

To make your own hot sauce, you must first create the Universe. Then it's a heavy focus on creating vinegar and peppers, I think God did that on day 3.

----------------

Al Borland

by XyloJW

Weekend Bridges posted:

To make your own hot sauce, you must first create the Universe. Then it's a heavy focus on creating vinegar and peppers, I think God did that on day 3.

is your avatar from breath of fire 2?

----------------

Weekend Bridges

by Smythe

Al Borland posted:

is your avatar from breath of fire 2?

It's from the avatar thread.

----------------

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
i figured it would be a better idea to take some peppers/salt and mash them up with a mortar and pestle while slowly adding vinegar then adding some other spices to it and letting it age a bit in some kind of container. Though my only real idea behind it is how they make tabasco sauce.

City of Glompton

Spanish Manlove posted:

that sounds like a fun project! probably best done with adequate ventilation, I'd imagine.

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
A cursory google shows that it's pretty easy, you just have to saute the peppers/veggies first, then blend, then age. You could probably add some wood spirals to the aging vessel too. I want to try this some time, that looks like a fun project.

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

alnilam

Spanish Manlove posted:

A cursory google shows that it's pretty easy, you just have to saute the peppers/veggies first, then blend, then age. You could probably add some wood spirals to the aging vessel too. I want to try this some time, that looks like a fun project.

I might do it with all the habaneros i grew

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm going to talk to my friends who homebrew if they would like some spicy wood spirals for a beer they would make. This sounds like a fun project I'm likely going to forget about.

fuck. marry. t-rex

Spanish Manlove posted:

i figured it would be a better idea to take some peppers/salt and mash them up with a mortar and pestle while slowly adding vinegar then adding some other spices to it and letting it age a bit in some kind of container. Though my only real idea behind it is how they make tabasco sauce.

Nah you gotta render the peppers at heat

e: yeah and add seasoning and w.e like bay leaves as it cooks down then vinegar and w.e then bottle

someone taught me some other way of organically preserving salsa verde / hot sauce but I don't remember it now I'm a failure

fuck. marry. t-rex fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 15, 2015

deep dish peat moss

dogcrash truther posted:

The spicy must flow

Damp Star Baby

Staying Legend. CA Exempt DEATH
a quick PSA to any poor college-yobbers who are looking for a cool gift to make mom super happy :)

spicy olive oil bottles are an easy, cost-effective way of putting a lot of thought into a gift for someone special! you can stick to simple blends like just sticking in some basil/oregano, or go crazy with all sorts of hot-peppers and other assortments.

Fantastic to cook with, as a topping on pizza or anything else you might need! keep it in mind! :coolspot:

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

Damp Star Baby

not too sure how they make vinegar-based concentrates though :ohdear:

:iiam:

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

City of Glompton

Damp Star Baby posted:

a quick PSA to any poor college-yobbers who are looking for a cool gift to make mom super happy :)

spicy olive oil bottles are an easy, cost-effective way of putting a lot of thought into a gift for someone special! you can stick to simple blends like just sticking in some basil/oregano, or go crazy with all sorts of hot-peppers and other assortments.

Fantastic to cook with, as a topping on pizza or anything else you might need! keep it in mind! :coolspot:

those are beautiful!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Damp Star Baby

yeah you can use them as some pretty nifty kitchen decorations, and they'll only get more flavorful with time so there's no rush to use it all quickly.

edit: I forgot to mention that you should let it steep for at least two weeks before using! :)
If you use monosaturated oils, those perish pretty quickly so be careful!

Edit edit: I also just read somewhere that you should take out garlic cloves within a few days, leaving them in can lead to botulism. Very unbyob.

Damp Star Baby fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 16, 2015

Weekend Bridges

by Smythe
Get mom this piss soaked twig for Thanksgiving, Christmas, any occasion really. It's so easy, and really drives home how you feel: I am eating my asparagus, thanks to how you raised me.

----------------

Lil Cunty

please please please dry ALL herbs and vegetables before using them for oil infusions. any improperly dried or fresh ingredients can become contaminated with botulism

http://umaine.edu/publications/4385e/

ty crap

ty landy

treasure bear

i made this mistake

Damp Star Baby

Lil Cunty posted:

please please please dry ALL herbs and vegetables before using them for oil infusions. any improperly dried or fresh ingredients can become contaminated with botulism

yeah check-out some online how-to's just to cover all your bases. I really hope I didn't kill anyone with my spicy themed holiday gift ideas :saddowns:

Damp Star Baby

the path to a spicy hell is paved with good intentions

kuskus

I put a fresh undead spice in some oil and made italian dinner for my wafe. 2 days later analyze my gut at Dr. says, "You have a permanent boner. The condition is irreversible."

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

Damp Star Baby posted:

i would be a happy mom to get that

joke_explainer

Lil Cunty posted:

joke_explainer

The botulinum toxin causes intense paralysis up to an including the heart, and is by far the most lethal toxin known to man, synthetic or natural, with a lethal dose of 1.3-2.1ng/kg in the average person.

The bacteria that produces it is in nearly every food, and thrives in anaerobic environments, at temperatures from 32 to 120 fahrenheit or so. So surrounded by oil at room temperature is bad.

You could put it in your fridge tho and probably be okay.

At 2.1 nanograms/kilogram lethal rate, 1 kilogram of botulinum toxin could kill every human being on the planet (0.9114).

Al Borland

by XyloJW

joke_explainer posted:

The botulinum toxin causes intense paralysis up to an including the heart, and is by far the most lethal toxin known to man, synthetic or natural, with a lethal dose of 1.3-2.1ng/kg in the average person.

The bacteria that produces it is in nearly every food, and thrives in anaerobic environments, at temperatures from 32 to 120 fahrenheit or so. So surrounded by oil at room temperature is bad.

You could put it in your fridge tho and probably be okay.

At 2.1 nanograms/kilogram lethal rate, 1 kilogram of botulinum toxin could kill every human being on the planet (0.9114).

is it spicy?

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damp Star Baby

I feel so bad about this I will personally taste test any oil infusion you guys make before giving it to your loved ones. I'll even post a not-so condescending review as I potentially lay quarantined on my deathbed, forced to type using a plastic apparatus with my teeth.

• Locked thread