Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

smoobles posted:

have you tried pace picante sauce, from New York City

NEW YORK CITY????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

I really like thai bird chilis, or a mix of ghost pepper, thai bird chilis, habaneros and cayennes. You can adjust the heat by removing the veins and seeds and pureeing them, then adding it to whatever. Ghost peppers are surprisingly flavorful for being a high heat chili. If you have limited options for food, Qdoba has a habanero salsa that is pretty spicy that might do the trick. El Yucateco is a very spicy hot sauce that might help too, and is generally available.

joke_explainer

ChairmanMeow posted:

when you order thai they give you a number scale for how spicy you want it(many places), then they adjust your answer 2 by how white you are. So order some thai delivery by phone.

It kind of depends on the kind of place you're at. I liked this article on it. Basically thai food is supposed to be seasoned to taste, with that little condiment caddy that often contains:

Fish sauce (for salty, generally with thai bird chilis. it's 'nam pla prik' i.e. 'fish sauce peppers')
Sugar (for sweetness)
White vinegar with sliced fresh Thai chile (sourness, it's a vinegar with chilis, prik nam som 'peppers with vinegar')
Ground dried chile (phrik pon or pepper powder)

A lot of places, especially the more americanized places do dial things back enormously from what would be considered even mildly spicy in Thailand, where they want to have all those flavors in balance with each other to bring out everything in the dish. It's not about just destroying your mouth with capsaicin. When properly spicy, it should be well balanced throughout your mouth in an amazing, flavorful tingle imo. This article kind of goes into it:

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2013/11/how-i-learned-to-stop-ordering-thai-spicy.html

joke_explainer

Damp Star Baby posted:

freak out your friends by ordering extra rare beef slices on the side and plop them into your soup :3:

I'm not sure I have any friends that are scared of beef...

joke_explainer

This sauce by Simpatica / Laurelhurst Market here in Portland is really earning its keep on spicy. It's very intense, hot ghost chili flavor in an apple cider vinegar base, but it's very flavorful. I like ghost chili better than habanero because the heat is most spread around and it seems to spread it out over a longer period of time instead of the just insanely intense feel of habaneros, but that could just be how they've mixed this, I don't know. Really good.

joke_explainer

Lil Cunty posted:

please please please dry ALL herbs and vegetables before using them for oil infusions. any improperly dried or fresh ingredients can become contaminated with botulism

http://umaine.edu/publications/4385e/

joke_explainer

The botulinum toxin causes intense paralysis up to an including the heart, and is by far the most lethal toxin known to man, synthetic or natural, with a lethal dose of 1.3-2.1ng/kg in the average person.

The bacteria that produces it is in nearly every food, and thrives in anaerobic environments, at temperatures from 32 to 120 fahrenheit or so. So surrounded by oil at room temperature is bad.

You could put it in your fridge tho and probably be okay.

At 2.1 nanograms/kilogram lethal rate, 1 kilogram of botulinum toxin could kill every human being on the planet (0.9114).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

10 homegrown habaneros and used carrot to model it after mrs sharps, one of my fav hot sauces

pics? is it good

• Locked thread