Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gundam is a long-running mecha multimedia franchise produced by Sunrise. Gundam products range from books to manga to games, and of course, anime. This thread is intended as a general discussion thread of all things Gundam except for the toys/models which have their own thread (link below). The original Gundam was quite groundbreaking for its time, and its influence can still be seen in mecha, or even anime in general, today.
Gundam can at first seem quite intimidating to newcomers because of its age and simply how much of it there is, so below here is a chronological list of each Gundam animated feature and a few recommendations for beginners.

Mobile Suit Gundam (1979, 43 episodes, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf, compilation movie DVDs by Rightstuf, Blurays in April)
Mobile Suit Z Gundam (1985, 50 episodes, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf, movie trilogy DVD by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (1986, 47 episodes, UC available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack (1987, movie, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (1989, 6 episodes, UC, available on DVD by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories (1991, 13 episodes, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf in April)
Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (1991, movie, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (1993, 51 episodes, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam (1994, 49 episodes, FC)
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (1995, 49 episodes, AC)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (1996, 12 episodes, UC)
After War Gundam X (1996, 39 episodes, AW, available on DVD by Rightstuf)
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (1997, 4 episodes, AC)
∀ Gundam (1999, 50 episodes, CC,, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Gundam Evolve (2001, 15 episodes, various)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (2002, 50 episodes, CE)
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War (2004, 3 episodes, UC)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (2004, 50 episodes, CE)
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 (2006, 3 episodes, UC)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer (2006, 3 episodes, CE)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (2007, 50 episodes, AD)
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front (2009, 3 episodes, UC)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (2010, 7 episodes, UC, available on DVD by Rightstuf and bluray by Bandai Visual/RightStuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer (2010, Movie, AD)
Mobile Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G (2010, 3 episodes, AD*)
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE (2011, 49 episodes, AG)
Gundam Build Fighters (2013, 25 episodes, AD*, available on the Bandai Youtube channel and available on DVD and maybe bluray by Rightstuf in 2016)
Gundam Reconguista in G (2014, 26 episodes, RC, available on Hulu, available on DVD and bluray by Rightstuf in the U.S. and by Anime Lab in the U.K.)
Gundam Build Fighters Try (2014, 25 episodes, AD*, available on the Bandai Youtube channel and available on DVD and maybe bluray by Rightstuf in 2016)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (2015, ongoing, UC, Available on bluray by Rightstuf in the U.S. and Anime Limited in the U.K.)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (2015, ongoing, PD, available on Hulu and dub coming 2016)

The Gundam franchise is divided into several alternate universes, originally created to appeal to a new audience which hadn’t necessarily seen any previous Gundam show. The two letter signifier by their names indicate which universe they belong to. Generally speaking each universe is independent from all of the other ones, so you can watch Gundam Wing without having seen G Gundam, while you might miss something if you watch SEED Destiny without having seen SEED first. The * indicates that those shows have no relation to 00, even though they share the AD signifier.

If you’re a complete newbie to Gundam consider starting with 1) War in The Pocket, which while being set in the UC requires no outside information, is quite short and is generally considered very good. 2) ∀ Gundam, which is generally considered the best full length Gundam show. Or 3) Iron-Blooded Orphans, which has recently started, had a promising start, and you can watch with other goons. It has its own thread (link below). If you want to get into UC It's generally recommended to start with the Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movies. The original series has very dated animation which some find off-putting, which the movies largely fix. If you don't care about space opera, but do like robot action and/or toys and models Build Fighters has none of the drama of normal gundam showss and instead indulges in the fun of models and robots punching each other.
Links:
RX-78-2 Gundam Thread
RX-178 Gundam Thread MK II
MSZ-006 Gundam Thread Zeta
Gundam!!!!
Gunpla/Plamo Thread Mk.IV: My other thread is a web shop exclusive
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans - WAITING FOR ERECTION
The New General Mecha thread

Droyer fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqs1JLDbp4
Hi! I'm the guy that made the new gundam thread. I want this thread to have a more relaxed feel than the earlier ones. The time of Zorak is behind us, and we must all move on. Of course effortposts are welcome and appreciated, but more short and casual posts are fine too.

The last thread had a problem with the same arguments being repeated over and over. I don't want to stifle anyone's posting, but I will also not hesitate to time the thread out if I think it's necessary.

Regarding spoilers, spoiler tags won't be necessary, but if you know someone's currently watching something please be considerate.

Also, I said this at the end of the last thread, but if anyone has a list of which gundam shows/movies are legally available outside of Japan I'll gladly add that to the OP.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 12, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
IT'S A (new) GUNDAM THREAD!

I love all covers of that song that was the last post in the previous Mega Thread.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 12, 2015

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Droyer posted:

Hi! I'm the guy that made the new gundam thread. I want this thread to have a more relaxed feel than the earlier ones. The time of Zorak is behind us, and we must all move on. Of course effortposts are welcome and appreciated, but more short and casual posts are fine too.

The last thread had a problem with the same arguments being repeated over and over. I don't want to stifle anyone's posting, but I will also not hesitate to time the thread out if I think it's necessary.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Should probably add a "If you're in it just for the robots or toys toys" reccomendation for build fighters.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 22, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gundam Wing is real good and has the best grunt designs and you should all watch it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Should probably add a "If you're in it just for the robots or toys toys" reccomendation for build fighters.

done

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Droyer posted:

Also, I said this at the end of the last thread, but if anyone has a list of which gundam shows/movies are legally available outside of Japan I'll gladly add that to the OP.

Reconguista in G and Iron-Blooded Orphans are on Hulu, the two Build Fighters shows are on Bandai's Youtube Channel.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gundam more like gaydam haha

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

please timg this. This is not the chat thread.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Build Fighters can be recommended for more than just that. As long as you're not after hard sci fi or whatever (why would you be watching gundam then) it's a legit fun story in addition to its fantastic fights.

Sadly, Try can be skipped.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Build Fighters is also a generally solid lighthearted kid's tournament show.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

gently caress yeah new thread. Let's celebrate by all talking about how great G Gundam is.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gundam is sometimes good. I hope this thread is as well.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AoN6mr3cQ8

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chumbler posted:

Build Fighters can be recommended for more than just that. As long as you're not after hard sci fi or whatever (why would you be watching gundam then) it's a legit fun story in addition to its fantastic fights.

Sadly, Try can be skipped.

It's also basically a sports anime so it's good if that's your thing, too.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Motto posted:

Build Fighters is also a generally solid lighthearted kid's tournament show.

That wasn't meant to be a dismissal, that show is what got me back into Gundam. It's one of my favorite anime and absolutely fantastic, but it's a show probably recommended after you see a few others because it parodies and subverts a whole lot. Unless you're here for the robots.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Reconguista in G and Iron-Blooded Orphans are on Hulu, the two Build Fighters shows are on Bandai's Youtube Channel.

Thank you, added

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Or you want a tiny robot sports anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I don't really agree with Turn-A as a 'beginner" Gundam. It's a good show but it's kind of rooted in thoughts about the series.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

TARDISman posted:

gently caress yeah new thread. Let's celebrate by all talking about how great G Gundam is.

I watched like 4 scattered episodes of G Gundam as a child and forgot about it until recently, and that's all my Gundam experience. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a robot show though.

Actually I also remember a chibi gundam show with a weird CG artstyle? No clue if that was a sugar induced fever dream from when I was a kid or what though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I will say that I don't really agree with Turn-A as a 'beginner" Gundam. It's a good show but it's kind of rooted in thoughts about the series.

I partially agree, but many have told me it was their first and they enjoyed it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Also, first page, so MS IGLOO is great disregard the haters. They can't appreciate the glory of tank combat.

The rest of the show's kinda eh just watch all the tank related episodes.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

We need more tanks in Gundam.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

We need more tanks in Gundam.

Good news: IBO

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Droyer posted:

Good news: IBO

I've not yet seen it!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Also, first page, so MS IGLOO is great disregard the haters. They can't appreciate the glory of tank combat.

The rest of the show's kinda eh just watch all the tank related episodes.

MS IGLOO is absolutely atrocious and I love it very much. It's one of the very few things that makes the Type 61 not look like a useless hunk of poo poo, but you probably shouldn't watch it if you have a low tolerance for weird undercurrents of fascist apologia and/or incredibly dodgy CGI humans.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Erg posted:

I watched like 4 scattered episodes of G Gundam as a child and forgot about it until recently, and that's all my Gundam experience. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a robot show though.

Actually I also remember a chibi gundam show with a weird CG artstyle? No clue if that was a sugar induced fever dream from when I was a kid or what though.

SD Gundam, I think.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

I partially agree, but many have told me it was their first and they enjoyed it.

Knowing the history of the series helps, but you don't need to be a Gundam buff to enjoy Turn A. Personally, I think it's really silly when some people recommend watching every pre-1999 Gundam before Turn A when the links amount to a few visual cameos and playing some random clips from previous shows during the broadcast from the Winter Palace.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 12, 2015

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'm glad more Gundam stuff is coming to the US and I'm going to buy the Turn A DVDs real soon

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

Yeah those exist, they're called sd gundam. I didn't include them in the op because 1) i know very little about them and 2) they're kind of their own separate thing. Feel free to talk about them though!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Please [timg] tag large images, thanks in advance.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Knowing the history of the series helps, but you don't need to be a Gundam buff to enjoy Turn A. I think it's really silly when some people recommend watching every pre-1999 Gundam before Turn A when the links amount to a few visual cameos and playing some random clips from previous shows during the broadcast from the Winter Palace.

In fairness, it has a larger thematic meaning. The dark history functions on both a commentary on the nature of war and a metacommentary on the gundam franchise in itself, and you won't get the second thing if you haven't seen enough gundam. With that said though, that's hardly necessary to enjoy the show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

chumbler posted:

As long as you're not after hard sci fi or whatever (why would you be watching gundam then)

Early UC gundam has some pretty good hard scifi concepts, or is drawn from actual speculative science. Oneil cylinders for one. It's not hard hard sci fi but as the originator of the real robot genre, where things are at least given cursory science / science handwaving explanations, it's not crazy to think something that is largely devoid of it like GBF might not scratch the same itch.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I added a rule about spoilers in the second post.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

In fairness, it has a larger thematic meaning. The dark history functions on both a commentary on the nature of war and a metacommentary on the gundam franchise in itself, and you won't get the second thing if you haven't seen enough gundam. With that said though, that's hardly necessary to enjoy the show.

Certainly, I just don't want to risk discouraging people who think that Turn A sounds interesting, but isn't up to watching two decades of prior anime as prep.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think Turn A can improve (a bit) after having seen other series, but it didn't feel weaker at all, being the second full series i watched after G.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I have never watched a Gundam but I might one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Erg posted:

There's also the Three Kingdoms SD Gundam series, which is somehow even more insane because now you have stuff like Cao Cao being a Gundam X and the Sun family being based on the GP line. And Lu Bu is a Tallgeese.