Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Yes please. Give me more Unicorn. Rename the Universal Century to the Unicorn Century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

G-reco is contrroversial. I greatly enjoyed it and I know many others who did, but I also know a lot of people hated it. One thing you should know is that it expects you to pay close attention, so if you don't you'll probably have a bad time. It's available on Hulu

There are things like Raraiya regaining her mind midway through the series that can somewhat seem like they're out of nowhere, but if you take a second look through the early episodes (or just hung out in the thread at the time) you pick up a lot of great subtle moments that build up to it properly.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Raxivace posted:

So uh apparently a live action adaptation of Unicorn is in the works?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4841884/
http://www.samuraimediaglobal.com/#!launching-of-the-white-devil/c15rc

Even if this is just some fanwork...Why? Why does this exist?

It's gonna be some stupid piece of poo poo fanfilm like Batman vs. Predator. If it even ever actually exists, which I kinda doubt.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's no way to watch MSG79 that won't make it feel like it was animated on a shoestring budget in the late 70s. It somehow hasn't received a real remake. However:

If you're okay with the bad 70s animation, Bandai are literally releasing MSG79 on Bluray this year, so you can at least obtain the full show legally and in 1080p (for what little that last part is worth with bad 70s animation).

If you can find them, the show was also condensed into three films in 1981 which do a lot to fix the pacing and remove one of the most toyetic/super-robot-ish elements from the show (the G-Armor) in favour of something better (the core booster). I would argue these are worth watching more than MSG79 itself.

If you don't care about MSG79 itself and just want to know who Amuro and Sayla and Char and Lalah are, there's a currently ongoing manga reboot/retelling of MSG79 called Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin that is pretty good, although it diverges significantly from UC canon in quite a few places (sometimes for the better, sometimes not so much). There's also one (soon to be two) tie-in animated film that cover the prequel-to-the-One-Year-War part of The Origin, but I'd argue that that's one of the least good parts of it.

In what way is the Core Booster better than the G-Armor? It's probably the most boring plane-type thing from gundam except maybe the Skyfish or whatever that thing was called, and it can't even be converted back into the Core Fighter. The G-Armor has its faults, but it also enables my favorite thing from Gundam, Gundam + B-Parts. Honestly, I can see people picking on the G-Hammer and the Guntank in space, but the G-Armor never should have been removed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

In what way is the Core Booster better than the G-Armor?

It's not some garbage super robot poo poo.

Turn-A retroactively made the Gundam hammer cool.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The ZZ being able to split into three planes made sense, because the ZZ was every stupid idea anybody at AE ever had. It doesn't make sense for the RX-78 to be all switch outable and reconfigurable like that. It totally sticks out in One Year War era technology.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not some garbage super robot poo poo.

Turn-A retroactively made the Gundam hammer cool.

I think you mean the Daitarn Hammer.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The core booster made sense because it was literally "yo white base we heard you had a few extra core fighters lying around, here's a cargo pod full of spare parts and ordnance to turn one into a real fighter" as opposed to the ridiculously involved multitransformation poo poo of the g-armor.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

mr. stefan posted:

The core booster made sense because it was literally "yo white base we heard you had a few extra core fighters lying around, here's a cargo pod full of spare parts and ordnance to turn one into a real fighter" as opposed to the ridiculously involved multitransformation poo poo of the g-armor.

And then the Origin decided "Oh hey we mass produced these GMs, maybe you guys should have some".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really like that The Origin was like "hey guys we got a custom GM that is basically a very slightly stripped down Gundam, who gets it?" and everyone just pointed at Sayla.

It sounds kind of fanfictiony until you watch the original Gundam and realize that Sayla seriously has the highest kill count out of anyone not named Amuro on the White Base.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sayla owns and it's quite sad that she never got to be more involved with the rest of the UC shows.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 13, 2015

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The voice actress had problems no? that seems like such an excuse.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sayla and Elle are the most underappreciated pilots of the Universal Century.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Elle is top tier for surviving ZZ in the Mk. II. Not even e-machine could do it (though it wasn't really her fault)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Elle and Roux were both pretty good. It's kind of mind boggling that they exist in the same show with loving Beecha.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I always bring up the episode where Elle hold sup the entire Neo-Zeon army by herself in a MKII while Judeau goes do some plot stuff.

It's offscreen, but it happens I swear!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

Elle and Roux were both pretty good. It's kind of mind boggling that they exist in the same show with loving Beecha.

Beecha is a poo poo-headed idiot but he managed to hold his own in the loving Hyaku Shiki, which is just as impressive as Elle not dying in the Gundam MKII.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I really like that The Origin was like "hey guys we got a custom GM that is basically a very slightly stripped down Gundam, who gets it?" and everyone just pointed at Sayla.

It sounds kind of fanfictiony until you watch the original Gundam and realize that Sayla seriously has the highest kill count out of anyone not named Amuro on the White Base.

Plus everyone's generally a lot cooler in The Origin. Well, in their own way. I love Bright always looking this close to having a breakdown from all the poo poo getting dropped on his lap from both inside and outside WB.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, did sayla get some extra kills in the tv series, or did hayato/Kai had a massive kill drought?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
wait are people talking smack about the g-armor?

next thing you're gonna say the zakrello's a bad design or that nether gundam's stupid

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Ernie Muppari posted:

wait are people talking smack about the g-armor?

next thing you're gonna say the zakrello's a bad design or that nether gundam's stupid

I do wonder how well the Nether Gundam would have done if it didn't spend all its time hiding.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The G-Armor is lame because even ignoring how dumb it is, it takes up a lot of screentime in the show that serves no purpose.

You can tell it was mandated because they have multiple episodes where they're testing out the G-Armor for no reason, with the same stock footage.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

chumbler posted:

Gundam Wing is real good and has the best grunt designs and you should all watch it.

this nigga knows whats good

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I think it's about time... I stood up to the Victory.

*bites fingernails*

With the first episode cleared, I think I'm in for a treat. Usso is pretty ruthless and creative in combat, team Victory is ghetto as all hell, and the body count is already looking pretty high.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Logicblade posted:

*bites fingernails*

With the first episode cleared, I think I'm in for a treat. Usso is pretty ruthless and creative in combat, team Victory is ghetto as all hell, and the body count is already looking pretty high.

Warning: when they mention the Guillotine, it's not a metaphor.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

*bites fingernails*

A thing you should know is ep1 is actually chronologically ep4, which is why Shakti ends the episode by going "how did we end up like this?".

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Yeah I've been progressing through it, on episode 3 now. Silly me thinking the Woowig slaughter was just gonna be offscreen. I'm in for a long ride, aren't I? In a lighter note, the Shokew is really cool! I mean there's no way it would actually work, but a helicopter rotor arm is really cool.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Yeah I've been progressing through it, on episode 3 now. Silly me thinking the Woowig slaughter was just gonna be offscreen. I'm in for a long ride, aren't I? In a lighter note, the Shokew is really cool! I mean there's no way it would actually work, but a helicopter rotor arm is really cool.

Yeah, Zanscare mechs can be kind of hit or miss, but I really like them overall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Wait, did sayla get some extra kills in the tv series, or did hayato/Kai had a massive kill drought?

Once Sayla gets the G-Fighter she's generally getting multiple kills any fight she contributes in, including pulling off some stunt flying poo poo in one or two episodes. Kai is probably the most effective MS pilot behind Amuro.

Hayato is... Hayato is the Krillin of the team. Dude is there to feel kind of crappy and even has an episode where he gets shot down and has to recover and Fraw talks to him about how Amuro is cooler than he is.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Motto posted:

I love Bright always looking this close to having a breakdown from all the poo poo getting dropped on his lap from both inside and outside WB.

To be fair, he's like that in MSG79 as well. He spends a bunch of episodes in the sickbay due to collapsing from stress and generally spends a lot of time wondering if he's making the right choices, as you'd expect from someone who's a Junior Lieutenant and ends up being the seniormost officer on a prototype next-generation spaceship because everyone else died.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Shakti is kind of disappointing. "Oh no war is coming, maybe if I hide and pretend like it isn't happening I'll be fine." Also I don't think Bespa has heard of these things called war crimes...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Once Sayla gets the G-Fighter she's generally getting multiple kills any fight she contributes in, including pulling off some stunt flying poo poo in one or two episodes. Kai is probably the most effective MS pilot behind Amuro.

I just remember Kai getting a big headstart on the killcount starting with the Winds of War battle, then the Garma Ambush, the desert battles, etc. He still got a lot of kills at Jaburo and space as well, but I haven't really watched the TV version in a long time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Logicblade posted:

Shakti is kind of disappointing. "Oh no war is coming, maybe if I hide and pretend like it isn't happening I'll be fine." Also I don't think Bespa has heard of these things called war crimes...

They heard about them and think they are fantastic ideas.

Tae posted:

I just remember Kai getting a big headstart on the killcount starting with the Winds of War battle, then the Garma Ambush, the desert battles, etc. He still got a lot of kills at Jaburo and space as well, but I haven't really watched the TV version in a long time.

Kai didn't get a ton of kills early on, though he was great at supporting and pushing Zakus off cliffs. He becomes more kill-competent after Miharu dies.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

A thing to keep in mind before you judge Shakti: She's 11

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Droyer posted:

A thing to keep in mind before you judge Shakti: She's 11

Ok... that's a little more reasonable. Too used to my gundam protagonists being in their late teens, I forget that the Victory cast is actually younger. I'm hoping she grows out of it a little, but hey that's why I'm watching. That and because I want to see how messed up this gets.

Usso's confirmed kill count: 1

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

I want to see how messed up this gets.

You're in for a treat oh boy oh man

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Srice posted:

The G-Armor is lame because even ignoring how dumb it is, it takes up a lot of screentime in the show that serves no purpose.

You can tell it was mandated because they have multiple episodes where they're testing out the G-Armor for no reason, with the same stock footage.

Or, you know, they didn't have a lot of budget and people were getting *really* tired of that one sequence where the Gundam combines in mid-air for no reason.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It was literally one of the concessions they had to make to keep the show running

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I like the G-armor. It's dumb and silly, but a lot of stuff in the original was and a lot of gundam things still are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

I like the G-armor. It's dumb and silly, but a lot of stuff in the original was and a lot of gundam things still are.

Yeah it is. I'm mostly just bugged by the time they waste with it more than anything about the actual thing itself