Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Logicblade posted:

I think it's about time... I stood up to the Victory.

*bites fingernails*

With the first episode cleared, I think I'm in for a treat. Usso is pretty ruthless and creative in combat, team Victory is ghetto as all hell, and the body count is already looking pretty high.

Victory has probably the best fight choreography in UC Gundam, so you're in for a treat if you liked the ep1 fight. Usso is a stone cold little fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
So... when they do they keep the Victory fully formed out of the gate? I mean I get that transforming mechs are cool, but it's just not practical to have a bunch of bottom fighters get destroyed every time you try to dock mid fight. I suppose at least they have the presence of mind to have spares.

Also Zanscare is really trying to hit every villain note right out the gate here, murdering civilians, burning down forests, murdering subordinates, it's a murder party for everyone!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

So... when they do they keep the Victory fully formed out of the gate? I mean I get that transforming mechs are cool, but it's just not practical to have a bunch of bottom fighters get destroyed every time you try to dock mid fight. I suppose at least they have the presence of mind to have spares.

Also Zanscare is really trying to hit every villain note right out the gate here, murdering civilians, burning down forests, murdering subordinates, it's a murder party for everyone!

I might be misremembering, but I thought the idea was they don't have a truck large enough to transport it fully formed and having a giant robot just walking around is bad if you're trying to keep a low profile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In theory the uncombined victory is a bit faster than the combine form and so it can get to where it needs to go faster and then combine for fightin'.

On top of that it is lower profile.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best part of Victory is the keep calling the legs 'boots'. In English.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So what's the cutest mobile suit? I mean, you could go with Bearguy but I think that's too obvious. It might be the Acguy, though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

So what's the cutest mobile suit? I mean, you could go with Bearguy but I think that's too obvious. It might be the Acguy, though.

Tha kapool is pretty fuckin cute

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Logicblade posted:

It's the low profile thing. Zanscare has a huge military advantage and the League Militaire absolutely can't afford a knock-down-drag-out with them at the start of the series, so it's a lot more nondescript to move your mobile suits around as much smaller jets tarped over on trucks than to have them marching around visibly. That and the V Gundam is quite specifically designed to be cheap as dirt and mass produced like mad, so throwing away component fighters isn't actually a huge deal. The V Gundam is only a "Gundam" in a sense that it's aesthetically designed to look like one as a propaganda device; performance and cost wise it's a bog-standard grunt, through and through.

Zanscare are easily the most openly and unquestionably evil UC Gundam villains, easily outpacing even the Titans.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Droyer posted:

Tha kapool is pretty fuckin cute

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

So I just finished episode six... what just happened? Like seriously, what the gently caress?

I just killed two of my own subordinates five minutes ago and now I'm gonna catch that gundam! Oh poo poo the pilot is a kid, I better blow myself up with a grenade, reality is too cruel!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

So I just finished episode six... what just happened? Like seriously, what the gently caress?

I just killed two of my own subordinates five minutes ago and now I'm gonna catch that gundam! Oh poo poo the pilot is a kid, I better blow myself up with a grenade, reality is too cruel!

Welcome to the Victory Gundam experience

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Visionary director/writer Tominooooooo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Logicblade posted:

Ok... that's a little more reasonable. Too used to my gundam protagonists being in their late teens, I forget that the Victory cast is actually younger. I'm hoping she grows out of it a little, but hey that's why I'm watching. That and because I want to see how messed up this gets.

Usso's confirmed kill count: 1

He's still got a long way to go before he unlocks that Ace bonus!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's far from the most ridiculous thing in Victory Gundam too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Logicblade posted:

The Victory Gundam Experience.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

It just keeps getting better. and by better I mean worse. So much worse. Well I can't say you guys didn't warn me about the guillotine at least.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 2

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Droyer posted:

I like the G-armor. It's dumb and silly, but a lot of stuff in the original was and a lot of gundam things still are.

I enjoy silly things like the Zakrello and the aquatic Zeon MSes but the G-Armor and its gimmick never did anything for me.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Victory Gundam is unironically good

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...okay i clearly need to get back on the wagon so I can go and watch Victory

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some day I will finish Victory maybe, but I made it about 30ish episodes in and just lost momentum.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When you fall off the train of one of those 50ish episode behemoths it's real hard to get back on it

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Srice posted:

When you fall off the train of one of those 50ish episode behemoths it's real hard to get back on it

oh man can i relate

i thought i was on like episode 40-something of ZZ but it turns out I was ten off, goddamn

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FWIW it took me about six months to get through Victory Gundam. In that same timeframe I moved halfway across the United States twice.

It's by far the least interesting Gundam series imo. Maybe not the worst technically, but I'd say even Destiny manages to be more entertaining and interesting despite (Because of?) probably being the worse show.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I like Victory, but it definitely has problems, especially in regards to women.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

Some day I will finish Victory maybe, but I made it about 30ish episodes in and just lost momentum.

The ending has one of the best scenes in Gundam, IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the Victory Gundam Side Story manga is kind of cool though, where Usso meets old man Judau Ashta.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

oh man can i relate

i thought i was on like episode 40-something of ZZ but it turns out I was ten off, goddamn

ZZ also took me quite a bit of time to finish, maybe half a year if not more?

I think if I started watching Gundam shows now instead of many years ago I'd have real trouble even finishing something like Zeta, there's just so many episodes.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Victory is way too long for me, considering the content. I could go through a 26-episode series where everyone not named Usso or Shakti dies at some point, but 52 episodes is way too much for me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Everyone should stand up to the victory.:patriot:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

ZZ also took me quite a bit of time to finish, maybe half a year if not more?

I think if I started watching Gundam shows now instead of many years ago I'd have real trouble even finishing something like Zeta, there's just so many episodes.

I doubt I'll ever finish Zeta.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

You should. It's a good show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I can't blame you because in this day and age it's a real tough sell to say that you gotta slog through to get to the good parts

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

I can't blame you because in this day and age it's a real tough sell to say that you gotta slog through to get to the good parts

But the show is made of good parts

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The best Zeta episodes are the ones Imagawa did.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The best Zeta episodes are the ones Imagawa did.

This is not surprising in the least.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
People's attention spans are too short today, is the real problem. The shows are great, it's the viewers that are bad

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

But the show is made of good parts

A lot of the skirmish of the week stuff gets repetitive for me. It caused me to bail on my rewatch awhile ago

The good parts are still really good tho

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I always liked Zanscare as an enemy faction, since they were dealing with religion as a source of political legitimacy. It's been 100 years since Zeon Zum Daikun's prediction about Newtypes, why wouldn't some opportunist assholes exploit that for military and political gain? Zeon was always super secular and philosophical, but also had the fascist bent towards a metaphysical cult, Zanscare actually went whole hog with using a Newtype religion as a tool to control the masses. A very interesting, and natural, extension of the idea of Newtypes, but I also tend to really be interested in strange Sci-Fi religions like in Stranger in a Strange Land and Childhood's End anyway.

TNG fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 14, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Episode 8 was pretty tame, I suppose we needed an 'Amuro is leaving White Base' kind of episode. I don't know if we've got another confirmed kill this episode, but one of those grunts definitely didn't eject the cockpit this episode, so I'll just call it a kill. Anyway that's probably it for me today.

Usso's confirmed Kill Count: 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad i watched Zeta for Four, Scirocco, and a bunch of the suits...but man that ending was really rough.