Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Episode 8 was pretty tame, I suppose we needed an 'Amuro is leaving White Base' kind of episode. I don't know if we've got another confirmed kill this episode, but one of those grunts definitely didn't eject the cockpit this episode, so I'll just call it a kill. Anyway that's probably it for me today.

Usso's confirmed Kill Count: 3

I hope you stick with the show, if only because I want to know how high this number is at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was always impressed with how rad Marbet got to be despite being saddled with the (vast amount of) baggage associated with being Tomino's female exemplar in Victory. I mean, she keeps getting sidelined by increasingly weird poo poo and subjected to increasingly bizarre subplots and then just shrugs it off and goes back to being (at least) the third-best pilot in the show and kicking ungodly amounts of rear end.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Darth Walrus posted:

I was always impressed with how rad Marbet got to be despite being saddled with the (vast amount of) baggage associated with being Tomino's female exemplar in Victory. I mean, she keeps getting sidelined by increasingly weird poo poo and subjected to increasingly bizarre subplots and then just shrugs it off and goes back to being (at least) the third-best pilot in the show and kicking ungodly amounts of rear end.

Marbet seems pretty cool. You know she's just ready to kick some rear end, but she never really gets a chance to. Here's hoping she gets a chance to show off before bad things happen to her.

Another two episodes of Victory down. I may have lied, I can't put this down, not yet anyway. I'm sort of interested to see where this Chronicle and Shakti arc is going to, and what Katejina's deal is. I've seen enough Tomino series to know that his women always feel a little off, but Katejina is just hitting that note really loudly right now.

To update Usso's killstreak, he went ham in episode 10. Two blown up Tomliats (and boy do they explode!) and two disabled ones. They didn't show the pilots ejecting, and considering the Shrike team basically had a welcome party on their suits, I'd say it doesn't bode well for their pilots. Also say hello to the Shrike team. I have heard things about them so... I will not be as surprised when they all inevitably die, but I don't know the how, so I guess I can look forward to that. Ha ha ha.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 7

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Marbet seems pretty cool. You know she's just ready to kick some rear end, but she never really gets a chance to. Here's hoping she gets a chance to show off before bad things happen to her.

Another two episodes of Victory down. I may have lied, I can't put this down, not yet anyway. I'm sort of interested to see where this Chronicle and Shakti arc is going to, and what Katejina's deal is. I've seen enough Tomino series to know that his women always feel a little off, but Katejina is just hitting that note really loudly right now.

To update Usso's killstreak, he went ham in episode 10. Two blown up Tomliats (and boy do they explode!) and two disabled ones. They didn't show the pilots ejecting, and considering the Shrike team basically had a welcome party on their suits, I'd say it doesn't bode well for their pilots. Also say hello to the Shrike team. I have heard things about them so... I will not be as surprised when they all inevitably die, but I don't know the how, so I guess I can look forward to that. Ha ha ha.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 7

Reading your first impressions is really interesting, and I don't want you to take this as criticism, but you don't need to spoiler tag everything. The show is 22 years old, it's fine.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 14, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I don't take offense to it at all, I just wanted to play it safe, since I've been banned on other forums for less. Thanks for the heads up.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

So in another epsiode of Zanscare are terrible people, bribing alcoholics to tell them where the LM is hiding out, and then killing everyone in the bar once you did. Good job, excellent work. I heard the Shrike team brought new meaning to the word expendable, but I didn't expect to lose one the episode after she was introduced. Wow. No kills for Usso this episode, but he did get a sweet double takedown with one of the Shrike's before the pilot ejected, and the rest of team got in some healthy mook murdering as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Regarding the Shrike Team, it's better to guess not when they die, but who survives the longest.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fun Victory Gundam fact: Uso was originally intended to be a descendant of Char Aznable, but that idea got scrapped at some point during development.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I just pretend that's still the case since there's nothing immediately after V of any consequence that contradicts it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Droyer posted:

Fun Victory Gundam fact: Uso was originally intended to be a descendant of Char Aznable, but that idea got scrapped at some point during development.

afaik it's just a popular idea that was never official but all the staff (except tomino) are fans of

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

afaik it's just a popular idea that was never official but all the staff (except tomino) are fans of

Gundam wiki said it was true, but they've been wrong before so

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
perhaps, i, too, am wrong.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does Usso being Char's grandson really add much to Victory as it is?

Like it's kind of a neat idea to connect it back to early UC, but as it stands it doesn't change too much. It would have been cool to use as an explicit plot point though, like maybe the League Militaire exploiting Usso's ancestry for propaganda purposes in the same way the Gundam name and imagery has been exploited.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
As mentioned in the chat thread, I've started watching AGE.

Also as mentioned in the chat thread, I'm invariably going to end up hating everything when the show fails to live up to its promise, because the animation, character/mecha design and music are all ridiculously good.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you will get over that by episode ~2

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Asu e" is my favorite Gundam opening song.

I don't understand a single god damned word of it but it is just so catchy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The GM Underground Combat Type is a GM Cold Climate but with drills for hands and a new headlamp. Incredible.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

woah, was the all Gundam OPs vid taken off youtube?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

yeah, and the all 80s mecha OPs too

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Yeah, a while ago.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pointless copyright claims :argh::argh::argh:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Nah not every Gundam OP ever, just probably the ones they're still selling or something. But yeah King Records has been on a copyrighting roll...like literally what do you have to gain from like, axing all the cool Steam Detectives songs, who even remembers that show exists???

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

Nah not every Gundam OP ever, just probably the ones they're still selling or something. But yeah King Records has been on a copyrighting roll...like literally what do you have to gain from like, axing all the cool Steam Detectives songs, who even remembers that show exists???

You misunderstand. Not "all gundam OPs" but "the all gundam ops" video. There used to be a single video that had all of them, but it's gone now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

The GM Underground Combat Type is a GM Cold Climate but with drills for hands and a new headlamp. Incredible.

I'm very okay with this.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Sharkopath posted:

YES

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Regarding the Shrike Team, it's better to guess not when they die, but who survives the longest.

Gonna guess Connie, and she'll make it to episode um... 45. Optimistic, I'm sure. Time to start episode 13, Usso's kill count is still unchanged, but man was he close to scoring a few last episode. Rip Throws Fishman.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

:eyepop:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Whenever someone asks who's the best Gundam pilot, I always instantly think of Uso. If only ebcause of how resourceful he often proves to be, like when he punched Chronicle out of his Shokew.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

As far as I can tell the comic that comes from was a short one volume thing thats a parody of creamy mami and I wanna read it.

Magical Ensign Blaster Mari

Update: thats a drill on its head too.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I was thinking the other day about how I don't really know when I first heard of Gundam. All I can remember was somehow already knowing about Gundam before Wing was on Toonami because when the ads first starting appearing I thought, "ah I'll finally get to see what this gundam thing is all about."

Maybe it was from those anime ads in magazines like EGM or something :shrug:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lessail posted:

I was thinking the other day about how I don't really know when I first heard of Gundam. All I can remember was somehow already knowing about Gundam before Wing was on Toonami because when the ads first starting appearing I thought, "ah I'll finally get to see what this gundam thing is all about."

Maybe it was from those anime ads in magazines like EGM or something :shrug:

You knew what a Gundam was because people in Japan knew already. You know because you share a connection with them.

Lessail, you are a Newtype.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually heard about Gundam in like '92 and I was in elementary school, and I can't for the life of me figure out how or why.

Maybe it was mentioned off-hand in a videogame magazine back when some of those rags also talked about Japanese stuff every so often, because back then that was basically where the (surviving) videogame industry was at.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Sharkopath posted:

Oi, that's a Command, not a Cold Districts.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I first heard about Gundam when someone recommended I watch SEED. Several years later i decided to go back and watch the rest of Gundam.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I was visiting family in Taiwan during the mid-90s and my parents ended up buying me a NG 1/100 Wing Gundam kit since I thought it looked cool; later when Wing hit the states I was like "aww hell yeah, that's the cool thing!" Also much later watching Build Fighters when the Fellini episode aired, I had a brainwave and dug through my old poo poo to find the kit was still mostly intact, only the V-Fin had snapped off in exactly the opposite location to the Fenice :unsmith:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Iron Blooded Orphans is Scratching the same itch the first six episodes of 08th MS Team did. Stoked to see more.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

YES

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Eh, the first time I heard of Gundam was pretty decisively back from Toonami - but I don't think I ever saw more than five seconds of an episode of Wing. I feel like I could've easily recognized a Gundam face but I'm not sure how considering I basically didn't know anything about any of it until I poked at SRW J like three or four years ago.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sharkopath posted:

Tengan Toppa GM Lagann :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first time I heard of Gundam was in a regular anime column in a SNES mag I read at the time. It was complaining about how popular series with female main characters in had become lol. This was in like 1993