Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
check out them scrollbars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-dLDrgd9eU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. persistent visual indicator for a commonly used ui element? no thank you!

next they'll re-invent smart menus

Aw fuck.
Jun 30, 2007

Using Ubuntu
is awesome
elementary is good

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

It's like I'm the only person the world who thinks that a one pixel wide region to hit before you can resize a window is maybe a stupid idea? Even in the video you can see him struggle with it again and again.

I know that's not just Ubuntu tho...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
scrollbars are a literally perfect UI widget and I fail to understand why people try, over and over again, to reinvent them

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

stebe perfected the scrollbar by hiding it 99% of the time and giving you a natural way to scroll through documents so you dont even need it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Kilroy posted:

OP this thread would have been topical in 2010 or so

what happened... where have you been

seriously canonical was sorta good around the time the first crysis game came out and it's been downhill since then

I'm going to be a parent soon and this pic is terrifying, as are most of your other pics itt

get the abortion

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

fart simpson posted:

ok which desktop linux is a par or above par solution

p much anything but ubuntu. i've never had a linux poo poo itself so many times due to badly tested updates as I did with ubuntu (ok, maybe arch but that's linux for people who want problems anyway)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BONGHITZ posted:

get the abortion
I got yer abortion right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=200035

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Triglav posted:

it took 15 years but red hat's stock is halfway to its ipo peak

yeah! great job team!

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

its almost like IPOs are purely to get private investors rich and not actually reflect the value of the company

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Great news! Despite not attempting any python since university I managed to edit the mate-menu application so that it will launch programs properly. the power of open sores!!! :getin: :rms: :rms2:

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
ubuntu is good

when you use a minimal install or server iso

and apt-get install xorg fvwm or some poo poo like that

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

There Will Be Penalty posted:

ubuntu is good

when you use a minimal install or server iso

and apt-get install ubuntu-mate-desktop

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
why not just use debian for that matter?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

power botton posted:

its almost like IPOs are purely to get private investors rich and not actually reflect the value of the company
what's the difference

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bobbilljim posted:

ubuntu-mate-desktop 

ah yes, the ubuntu-desktop packages, where shitloads of ancillary desktop accessories and random libraries are marked as dependencies for...reasons

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Silver Alicorn posted:

why not just use debian for that matter?

there's a ppa for just about everything on ubuntu

another reason for some people might be rolling releases but i haven't quite made up my mind on that topic

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ah yes, the ubuntu-desktop packages, where shitloads of ancillary desktop accessories and random libraries are marked as dependencies for...reasons

don't pretend like you don't need a slightly different gedit and xterm buddy!!!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
more like jewbuntu imo

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
there is a real distro called that btw

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
for a while i had ubuntu on a laptop but every release after 6.06 or so redid some subsystem that was fine the way it was and broke it in the process. it was amazing to install an ancient debian iso and suddenly have working sound and network again

good to see the mouthbreathers are still running the show

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i just use windows because i'm not autistic

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

canonical gently caress

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Sweevo posted:

i just use windows because i'm not autistic

if you work with computers, i feel sorry for you

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

the new Typing of the Dead is shaping up to be a real monster

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
let the gently caress cannon kick it

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
what they need is a competent ui designer, not another legion of sperglord forking poo poo because it offends their terrible sensibilities

linux and good ui lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

what they need is to write an os that isn't a clone of a clone of a piece of poo poo from 1973

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Is it possible to keep a windows and a linux in memory and switch between them instantly?

Also is there a good linux? I think we used CentOS at uni, which seemed alright but the file browser was terrible as was every single other program, but it was still probably one of the better linuxes I've used. Every time I use a linux I want to do fix the million things that bug me but doing that breaks a million other things.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you can probably do whatever you're trying to do on a Mac

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Megaspel posted:

Also is there a good linux?

that depends, do you actually have to interact with it in any way? use a mac

is it a headless box in a closet no one will ever look at? use whatever meets your specs for the application

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blotto Skorzany posted:

there is a real distro called that btw

does it not boot on saturdays?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Endless Mike posted:

does it not boot on saturdays?

unless you tie a red string around the server room

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Megaspel posted:

Is it possible to keep a windows and a linux in memory and switch between them instantly?

Also is there a good linux? I think we used CentOS at uni, which seemed alright but the file browser was terrible as was every single other program, but it was still probably one of the better linuxes I've used. Every time I use a linux I want to do fix the million things that bug me but doing that breaks a million other things.

one of my coworkers got a crappy chinese tablet that can run anroid and windows at the same time. it takes like 45 seconds to switch between them, but it doesnt shut them down. i guess it's going into hibernation and storing the state to disk or something. if you had enough ram i bet it could work

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Megaspel posted:

I would suggest that if you use the file browser to instead use a Mac. There is no reason to use cent on a desktop also, the official redhat desktop is is free and called fedora.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony ive aces posted:

let the gently caress cannon kick it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol @ everything in this

i didn't expect things to get worse

i mean, before they partially hid the scrollbars and made a big one pop up to grab with your mouse and it was actually pretty okay. now they just go "naw, gently caress it, keep it tiny"

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

god loving damnit

if your're going to pull some poo poo like this then at least make sure the correct hand is on top

come the gently caress on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice autism bro where can I get some of that

• Locked thread