Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

op just use the gnome3 version of ubuntu. its ubuntu but excises all of shuttlewurf's silly GUI experiments. it even comes with the tweak tool installed by default so you can fix the alt+tab behavior and put all the window controls back on the windows. and the controls are on the right-hand side of the windows by default

https://ubuntugnome.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Condiv posted:

yeah but it doesn't excise the ubuntu so it's still a subpar solution

well yeah but with near-standard ubuntu you've got a PPA for like every desktop package you'll want to install, and there's minimal fuckery

also for the other ubuntools itt i found a decent tutorial for custom encryption installs the other day:

http://thesimplecomputer.info/full-disk-encryption-with-ubuntu

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

i have installed the MATE desktop and it p much suits my needs but thanks anyway

is mate actually decent or is it just gnome2 on life support

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

install kde 4 it actually kinda sorta works now after just eight years of development

the obsession of kde on low system resources is cool, but that kind of lets you know what kind of a project it is

also c++ lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

ubuntu-mate-desktop 

ah yes, the ubuntu-desktop packages, where shitloads of ancillary desktop accessories and random libraries are marked as dependencies for...reasons

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

echinopsis posted:

nice autism bro where can I get some of that

*plays the clarinet in 5th grade* oh god i caught the nerdlord bug, fuuuck

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also to the goon last page who wants lunix and windows....um try a vm maybe?

e:

or wine lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

gnome3 is honestly p nice and if they (+ a few other projects) had actual funding it would prob be the best gui computer shell. canonical is kinda silly for chasing their own silly unicorn UI instead of just spending some cash on like... GNOME, the desktop gfx stack (e.g. Mesa), Wayland, etc

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 19, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde has a rly good expose clone. (stick your mouse in the upper left corner)
and a good launchy clone (alt f2)

and about a million configurable knobs. most of the knobs should be left alone. but, if, someday, you need a specific window to be moved to the lower left boundary, with no window decorations, an inch away from your IM window, and it should blink TWICE AS LOUD when the alert signal is raised, kde is there for you.

trap fuckin sprung lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Korean Boomhauer posted:

does wayland actually make any kind of difference in the performance department

my idiot understanding of it is that there would be less latency between apps, the compositor, and the kernel/hardware, compared to X. not sure if any gains would lead to an appreciable improvement for the user, though. my totally bs guess is that the old intel graphics chip in my current laptop would see more improvement from better optimization in the overall graphics stack (mesa, kernel driver, etc) but who knows, maybe the more streamlined system of Wayland will make things feel snappier

• Locked thread