Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I hate all those canonical fuckers loving up the worlds shittiest linux, ubnutu.

They purposefully stopped people putting the close window button back onto teh correct side. WHY. why would you do this. I hate it. put my button back where it belongs.

also gently caress the ubuntu unity lovely app switcher lol that the latest compiz pacjkage disables your lovely app switcher becauseguess what? it never works right. got 2 windows of teh same app open? lets open the wrong one every loving time.

gently caress u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Phoenixan posted:

buy a mac and then put the dock on the left

now you have ubuntu w/ unity except really good

im not sure about the dock either. might just launch the gnome throwback session in future. one of my cow-irkers has soem kidn of lovely mac style dock taking up real estate on his ubnutu desktop and i lol evertim i see it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i installed cinnamon and classic gnome and gnome flashback, none of them were much good. sadly they are close to being good but for the most part do not conform to the traditional linux style of customisation. though i guess i could compile from source to fix it.

anyway i have realised that windows 10 is actually teh best UI but for linux it is still mint xfce

real talk teh ideal start menu is a smallish popup with a search bar and list of apps. and teh window buttons have to be on the right. how hard is that to do.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

also, to teh h8rs of my thread: deal with it. this thread is yospos as hell. its about an operation system that is incredibly poo poo :coolbutt:

e: :c00lbutt:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Condiv posted:

2016 will be the year of the ARM NECK laptop

- linux torvoldos

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i have installed the MATE desktop and it p much suits my needs but thanks anyway

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

-works good
-looks ok

-ships with a hosed up app menu configured, you have to remove it from the panel and add the mate menu on

otherwise its p needs suiting. i installed "mate-menu" becuase it is slightly nicer than the included menu but both have search functionality and look p much like the win10 start menu

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

another nice thing about mate is that it handles keyboard shortcuts in a sane way

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Great news! Despite not attempting any python since university I managed to edit the mate-menu application so that it will launch programs properly. the power of open sores!!! :getin: :rms: :rms2:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

There Will Be Penalty posted:

ubuntu is good

when you use a minimal install or server iso

and apt-get install ubuntu-mate-desktop

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ah yes, the ubuntu-desktop packages, where shitloads of ancillary desktop accessories and random libraries are marked as dependencies for...reasons

don't pretend like you don't need a slightly different gedit and xterm buddy!!!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Sweevo posted:

i just use windows because i'm not autistic

if you work with computers, i feel sorry for you

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

gnome 3 looks just like unity but autohides teh dock poo poo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Smythe posted:

linux on the dekstop thoughts from a nontechnical woman/child:

1) gnome3 ftw kuz win key does the cool expose clone, with launchy clone built in. also good multi desktop tiling. very productive, for me.
2) unity. confusing and bad windows manager. end up having to mash alt-tab nonstop. also need to bind alt-tilde if u have multle winodws of a single app. insanely confusing
3) kde. like a gimped windows, with wierd defaults. also brutally ugly. not really all that bad but doesnt work as good as windows for window managing. snap doesnt work half as good as win10 snap.
4) xfce. suxors the ultimate one. doesnt do anything. worst window manager. cant find my poo poo. bars on the top and bottom are hosed up, and useless.

you would like mint xfce. ships with proper menu that pops open when u press win key

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

xfce and mate are both reaosnable desktop envs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I can't believe you've done this