Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is mate actually decent or is it just gnome2 on life support

it's worse than that: they attempt to implement gnome 2 using deprecated gnome 3 apis that are constantly changing underneath them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
install kde 4 it actually kinda sorta works now after just eight years of development

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Triglav posted:

it took 15 years but red hat's stock is halfway to its ipo peak

that's because it has split twice you idiot

the share price is lower because there are more shares. at ipo it was worth 4 billion. now it's worth 14 billion.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kilroy posted:

How does basic Gnome3 compare to Cinnamon these days? My understanding was that Gnome3 had most of the same goals that Unity did, is that no longer the case?

gnome3, cinnamon, and unity are all poo poo because their goals are fundamentally misguided

gnome3 and unity want to force dumbfuck ui onto the rest of us

cinnamon wants to maintain a ui normal people know how to use, but they want to do that on top of the ever-shifting sands of someone else's platform. bad plan, stan

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

kde is insanely confusing, and doesnt make sense. the windows key doesnt open the freakin start menu clone by default. and u cant even bind it. u gotta make a script for it. christ. CHRIST. smdh. also. theres those 3 color dots next to it. idk what they do. never known. peace.

1. the start menu thing is not kde's fault, idk what the gently caress key your "start" key will be on whatever unix system you are using. the joys of linux.

2. the three dots has something to do with "activities." as far as i can tell this is entirely useless when it is not actually counterproductive. if you find an actual purpose for kde "activities," let me know. (i am not convinced a use case exists)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

linux on the dekstop thoughts from a nontechnical woman/child:

1) gnome3 ftw kuz win key does the cool expose clone, with launchy clone built in. also good multi desktop tiling. very productive, for me.
2) unity. confusing and bad windows manager. end up having to mash alt-tab nonstop. also need to bind alt-tilde if u have multle winodws of a single app. insanely confusing
3) kde. like a gimped windows, with wierd defaults. also brutally ugly. not really all that bad but doesnt work as good as windows for window managing. snap doesnt work half as good as win10 snap.
4) xfce. suxors the ultimate one. doesnt do anything. worst window manager. cant find my poo poo. bars on the top and bottom are hosed up, and useless.

kde has a rly good expose clone. (stick your mouse in the upper left corner)
and a good launchy clone (alt f2)

and about a million configurable knobs. most of the knobs should be left alone. but, if, someday, you need a specific window to be moved to the lower left boundary, with no window decorations, an inch away from your IM window, and it should blink TWICE AS LOUD when the alert signal is raised, kde is there for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

trap fuckin sprung lol

did you get lost

this is yospos

• Locked thread