Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
You owe us, Zardoz Dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ratatozsk posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Man of Gold is picked up in the very early game.

Aw :smith:

Ratatozsk posted:

Wait, you were around for the Skyfall river, weren't you? Why in the world are you voting for a river after that catastrophe?

There's only one way to face our river phobia, and it went alright this time!

Ask for a favour

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 23 posted:

‘Why were you counting the stars anyway?’ you ask him.

Brows like stone lintels tilt in a weighty frown. ‘I can’t remember,’ he admits at last.

‘But it must have been important?’

‘I suppose so…’ he murmurs distractedly, still puzzling over the problem.

‘So I ought to get a reward?’

His lips tighten like cooling lava. ‘Ah, I see. You want payment for your service. Well, I suppose so. What will you take: health, wealth or sound advice?’

You ponder the choice for a few moments, prompting him to a grunt of irritation: ‘Decide quickly, since I now have another problem to occupy my time!’

If you choose health, turn to 44.
If wealth, turn to 67.
If advice, turn to 90.

Character Sheet posted:

Evening Star 'Nesquik' Sherman the Acolyte

Skills: ETIQUETTE, FOLKLORE, SPELLS, and SWORDPLAY

Life Points: 10/10

Cacao: 0

Possessions: magic wand, sword, waterskin, rope, salt, wad of dragon phlegm

Codewords: Cenote, Psychoduct, Pakal, Salvation

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd, pulp'd, flatten'd, eat'd (nobley), rubble'd, cul-de-sac'd, what-once-used-to-be-the-harbor'd, three magical bodyguards'd, orgy'd, bitter life-sucking cold'd

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Wealth! Everybody seems to want cacao.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Advice

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Advice might be best but it might be something stupid like "Write things down so you don't forget like I do."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Health could be a health boost, or it could be a simple heal.

Wealth could be an awesome item, or just some cacao.

Advice could be a password, but it also might just be like CirclMastr said.

Uh.... Wealth!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Advice is the only one we might still benefit from if we die and decide to start over with a different path again.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Let's take advice...

From the stone man...

Who tried counting the stars...

For so long he sank into the earth up to his chin...

And can't remember why he started...

...I'm sure he's full of wisdom

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 90 posted:

‘Buy a waterskin,’ the giant tells you.

‘Others have suggested the same thing.’

‘Buy two, then. And a knife or sword. There is a four-headed serpent in the desert, and its one weak spot is at the branching of its four necks. You’ll need to get close to land a killing blow, and my advice is to pretend to retreat at first. Dodge back a couple of times and the serpent will rush at you headlong — er, heads-long. Then you can slay it.’

‘What about just avoiding it?’

‘Then you wouldn’t get a drop of its blood — a substance like sap, which hardens into rubber.’

‘And what’s the good of that?’

‘The rubber ball will help you in Necklace of Skulls’s ball contest. The ball contest is an ancient ritual which he uses to humiliate and weaken his foes, but by scoring a daring victory you can exploit the contest’s magic for yourself.’

‘How do I kill Necklace of Skulls?’

He snorts contemptuously. ‘You mortals are so predictable. There are greater victories than revenge. Do you know the ultimate triumph?’

You can think of several replies, but you doubt if any of them are what he is driving at. ‘No.’

‘The ultimate triumph is to be greater than your enemy,’ he says. ‘There, that is my best advice.’

Turn to 135.

: I think that was deep. Wasn't it?

Page 135 posted:

The giant gives a hiccup and something white rolls out of his mouth onto the sand.

‘What’s that?’ you ask him.

‘Your brother’s skull,’ he replies. ‘Don’t thank me. Its proper place in the scheme of things is here with you. I’m just the instrument of destiny in this case.’

Tucking your brother’s skull into your haversack (remember to add it to your list of possessions), you set off along the beach. You have not gone more than a hundred paces when you hear a loud grunt followed by a damp sucking noise. You turn to see the giant hauling himself out of the ground. Throwing off the mass of sand and shingle that has accumulated around his body over aeons, he stands on the shore. He is big enough to climb the highest temple-pyramid with two bounds.

You watch as, with ponderous steps, he moves out to sea. When the water closes over the black dome of his head, you turn away with a feeling of awe.

If you have the codeword Sakbe, turn to 300.
If not, decide if you will head on to Tahil by land (turn to 228) or by sea (turn to 251).

: AAAAAAHHHHH!!

: Oh come now, it's just a skull. Everybody's got one.

: It's rather gauche to go flaunting it, though, especially someone else's!

: ...does my appearance offend you?

: World of difference between a mask and the real thing, Morte.

Character Sheet posted:

Possessions: magic wand, sword, waterskin, rope, salt, wad of dragon phlegm, your brother's skull, a heap of questionable wisdom

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd, pulp'd, flatten'd, eat'd (nobley), rubble'd, cul-de-sac'd, what-once-used-to-be-the-harbor'd, three magical bodyguards'd, orgy'd, bitter life-sucking cold'd

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 4, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Huh. Well, two if by land, one if by sea. And we only have one skull. So by sea!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Sea you later, giant!

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Land I feel like our codes are better

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Let's follow the giant into the depths. Sea!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Land.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 251 posted:

You find a trader who will shortly be sailing up the coast to Tahil. If you possess both a sword and a blowgun, he will offer you passage for free on the assumption you will help defend the boat against pirates. If not, he will charge you 6 cacao for passage.

If you decide to travel with him, turn to 300 (and remember to pay for your passage if appropriate).
If you decide to travel overland instead, turn to 228.

Welp, so much for that.

Page 228 posted:

Following the sweep of the coastline, you press on into the north-west. You subsist on fruit and fish for a week or so until finally you arrive at the great port of Tahil. The streets are crowded with refugees, all pouring towards the quayside in the hope of finding passage on a ship going east.

You make your way through the press of frightened people and past the great temples and townhouses which now lie deserted. The causeway to the west is empty apart from a few forlorn stragglers and those who have fallen crippled by the wayside.

‘Turn back!’ cautions a starving beggar as he passes you on the causeway. ‘Monsters are coming out of the western desert to slay us all!’

‘No,’ you reply without looking back, ‘I’m going to slay them.’

Turn to 85.

: I've got a block of salt with their name on it...and I'm pretty sure that most of them are slugs. I mean, this thing has to be good for something else, right?

Page 85 posted:

Food will be hard to come by in the arid sierra, so you make sure to pluck fruits from the abandoned orchards lining the first few kilometers of the causeway. The causeway dwindles to a stony road, then a dirt track, and finally you are trudging through open country.

Your fruit soon gives out, but in the baking summer heat it is lack of water, not food, that is your main concern. Lose 1 Life Point unless you have either WILDERNESS LORE or a waterskin.

Days turn to weeks. At last you catch sight of the town of Shakalla in the distance, its pyramids trembling in a haze of heat and dust. Beyond it lies a grim grey shadow: the desert, stretched like a basking serpent along the edge of the world.

Turn to 321.

Page 321 posted:

Shakalla is a walled town whose hard sun-baked streets are the color of hot ash. At this time of day, the place is deserted. Those who have not fled in fear have retreated to the cool interiors of their houses, seeking refuge from the midday sun. You see a few faces peering from the narrow doorways as you go past. A dog lies stretched in the shade of a shop’s awning, panting with the heat.

If you enter the shop, turn to 344.
If you carry on to the west gate of the town, turn to 325.

Not to rub our collective nose in our perpetual poor pecuniary preferences, but...

Page 344 posted:

Cool shade embraces you as you step into the shop’s interior. Your eyes adjust to the darkness. You call for service. A man rouses himself from his siesta and comes forward, blinking sleepily at you where you stand in the sunlit doorway as though you were a spirit that had emerged from the afterlife.

‘I am journeying into the desert,’ you announce, to his obvious amazement. ‘I’ll need supplies.’

He shows you the few items he has for sale in this impoverished town. They are:

A waterskin 4 cacao
A wand 16 cacao
A flint knife 1 cacao
A blowgun 3 cacao
A blanket 2 cacao

Buy whatever you wish (remembering to deduct the cost from your remaining money) and then turn to 325.

: At least you got a good deal on the waterskin.

: That's a pricey wand.

: Well we can't let everyone run around casting cantrips now, can we?

Page 325 posted:

A low tunnel in the wall around the town forms the west gate. Crouching as you make your way along the tunnel, you notice rough scrawlings in the stone. One shows a man with the tail and claws of a scorpion: another is of a four-headed dragon.

Two guards armed with spears stand at the far end of the tunnel, staring nervously out across the desert. As they hear you come up, they glance at you and one says, ‘Here’s a traveler who isn’t afraid to take the Gate of Exiles!’

Beyond, in the bright sunshine, lies the desert you must cross. The bleak stony landscape of crags and dusty gullies stretches off into a haze of heat along the horizon. A path leads from the gate, but it peters out beside a large boulder ten paces away.

You can question the guards about the markings on the tunnel walls (turn to 367) or the nearby boulder (turn to 388), or you can simply set out into the desert (turn to 407).

: Hey, it's the long-lost brother of Eddy, the scorpion with the butt and hands of a man!

: That's a weird combination. Was he feared for miles around?

: Not really, but he dealt a mean hand of poker until someone spooked him and he sat on his own head.

: That's a horrifying way to die.

: He didn't die, just cracked a bit of his carapace and was too embarrassed to step outside for awhile.

: The moral of that story...?

: Don't let your parents date outside their respective phyla. Or if they do, use protection.

Character Sheet posted:

Possessions: magic wand, sword, waterskin, rope, salt, wad of dragon phlegm, your brother's skull, a heap of questionable wisdom

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The guards seem to know we're about our business. QUESTION THEM!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The boulder might just be another underworld entrance, and we're not really any more ready for that than we were last time. Ask about the markings first, although if we get the chance to ask about both by all means do that.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 367 posted:

‘In times gone by, heretics and madmen were cast out from the town by this gate,’ says one of the guards. ‘As they went, some would scratch pictures of what they expected to find in the far west.’

‘That’s why it’s called the Gate of Exiles,’ says the other man. ‘I reckon you must be one of the few people who’ve taken this route by choice.’

‘I didn’t have a choice,’ you say.

Taking up your pack, you walk out into the waiting desert.

Turn to 407.

Page 407 posted:

The sun looks like a funnel of flame in the shimmering oven of the sky. Through the soles of your sandals, the rock and sand feel as hot as cinders. The air seems thick with dust, but at nightfall the temperature plummets and you are chilled by a strong breeze.

If you have WILDERNESS LORE, turn to 434.
If not, you must now decide whether to travel by day (turn to 22) or by night (turn to 46).

Character Sheet posted:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm inclined to say walking by night is the only option but the game's phrasing leads me to believe that we'll probably freeze to death. So let's put our waterskin to the test and cross this desert by day!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Night?

Since twilight and sunset travel aren't options.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wentley posted:

Since twilight and sunset travel aren't options.

That's only for people with common sense WILDERNESS LORE.

Still, night time seems less deadly than daytime. Let's travel at Night.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Night seems to be the best way to not get burned to a crisp.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 46 posted:

You have never seen so many stars as fill the desert sky after sunset. The night is full of soft sinister rustlings: snakes gliding across the sand, insects and scorpions scuttling unseen in the darkness. It is as eerie as venturing into the underworld. When the moon rises, it outlines the wind-blasted crags in a ghostly silver glow that makes them look like towering clouds.

By day you shelter under overhanging rocks – after first being sure to check that no venomous creatures have used the same patch of shade as a lair. Each evening, as the sun sinks in the west and the terrible heat of the day gives way to the cool of night, you take up your pack and journey on.

If you have a waterskin lose 1 Life Point. If you do not have a waterskin lose 3 Life Points. (Exception: if you have WILDERNESS LORE you are tougher than most people and lose 1 less Life Point.)

Cross the waterskin off your Character Sheet as it is now empty, then turn to 69.

The obvious choice is indeed the correct one. Wilderness Lore would just have forced us down this path.

Page 69 posted:

Cliffs rise in front of you, and you make your way along them until you find a long shoulder of rock by which you are able to scale to the top.

You have gone only a little further when you hear a distant keening noise. It sounds like the wind, but you do not feel even a breath of air in the sultry stillness. Then you notice half a dozen long plumes of dust moving along the ground in your direction. Above each dust-plume is a dark twisting funnel of air. Whirlwinds — and they are bearing straight down on you. Superstitious dread crawls up your spine. You recall tales of the demons of the desert, who rip men limb from limb with the fury of their whirlwinds.

If you have FOLKLORE, turn to 345.
Otherwise you can use SPELLS and a wand if you have them (turn to 92), stand ready to fight the demons off (turn to 115), or turn and run back towards the cliffs (turn to 137).

Page 345 posted:

The invisible demons of the desert are known to harness whirlwinds, which they ride pell-mell across the sand. It is said that on nights of the full moon they can even be seen crouched atop their captive whirlwinds — translucent unhuman figures with their faces raised shrieking to the sky.

The moon is not full tonight, and you are glad. You have no wish to see these monsters. Your only desire is to get rid of them, and to do that you must exploit their one weakness: once in full pursuit of a victim, they cannot veer quickly off a straight line.

Turn to 137.

: Alright spinjas, shall we dance?

Page 137 posted:

You race back towards the clifftops with the whirling demons hot on your heels. You can hear the screeching wind as they rush across the sand. And is it just your imagination, or can you also hear another sound behind the wind — a sound like wild laughter?

You reach the cliff. The whirlwinds are right at your back. Trapped, you dive frantically to one side, landing heavily. You try to rise, but you are too exhausted to run any further.

Luckily you do not have to. The demons are unable to stop themselves, and pitch straight over the side of the cliff. You distinctly hear their cries of outrage and shock as the swirling eddies of dust and wind tumble downwards. Breathing a sigh of relief, you set off again into the west.

Turn to 161.

: Thankfully they've never harnessed that wind power to move vertically. Rotary and horizontally, yes, but never up or down. Granted, there's not much gain to chasing buzzards around the skies.

Page 161 posted:

Days pass. You have lost track of how long you have been traveling across the desert. The intense sun leeches the ground of all moisture and turns the horizon to a blaze of dazzling whiteness. Dusk brings no respite, but only an icy wind that leaves you shuddering inside your thin clothes. Your tongue is as dry as burnt paper, and blisters make every step a misery.

If you have a waterskin, turn to 184.
If not, turn to 207.

: I should have listened to that giant head buried in the sand!

: You should have spent more on water than on useless rope and salt.

: I'll find those slugs yet!

Page 207 posted:

Your head is pounding and it feels as though a rough rope has been used to scour your throat. You recognize the symptoms of dehydration. Without water, you will die.

You find three plants that might yield the moisture you need. The first is a large barrel-shaped cactus with a milky sap. The second is a clump of rough spiky leaves with a single long stalk growing up from the center. The last is another cactus, paler in color than the first, comprising many flattened bulbous segments with squashy fruits.

If you have WILDERNESS LORE, turn to 230.
Otherwise decide whether to get moisture from the barrel cactus (turn to 253), the spiky-leafed plant (turn to 276) or the bulbous cactus (turn to 299). If you think none of these plants will help you, turn to 322.

: OH WHO IN THE HELL KNOWS THINGS ABOUT CACTI!?!

: Mystics, Wayfarers, and Hunters, among others.

: You are no help. Again.

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 9/10

Possessions: magic wand, sword, waterskin, rope, salt, wad of dragon phlegm, your brother's skull, a heap of questionable wisdom, >3 bootsfull of sand

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I remember enough random factoids about wilderness survival to know that milky sap is usually a bad sign. The bulbous cactus sounds most promising.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
My first instinct is that milk is good and that probably would have been bad.

:science: Milky sap denotes a genus of plants known as Euphorbia. Cacti within this genus with milky sap are so poisonous that handling them in a greenhouse requires a good bit of caution. It's one of the rare chemical defenses in a plant that usually relies on its spines to do the work. /:science:

poo poo yeah let's get bulbous.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 299 posted:

You break the stem of the cactus and it oozes a clear sweet-smelling fluid. You taste a little, then suck at it until you have drained all you can. It is barely enough. You stumble on across the lifeless wilderness of stone and sand, thirst burning a throbbing gulf in your throat.

Lose 4 Life Points and, if you still live, turn to 152.

List of increasing worseness in choices : WILDERNESS LORE, spiky, barrel, bulbous, nothing. So, our choice was less worse than at least one other.

Page 152 posted:

The palace of Necklace of Skulls cannot be far from here, since it is reputed to lie at the western rim of the world. With a wry glance at the shimmering sun, you set out across the dunes.

Thankfully the sun sets at last and the cool of evening comes on the breeze. By this time you are weary with heat and thirst, but you know you must press on to cover as much ground as possible. The stars emerge like a thousand gleaming pebbles seen in a stream. Moonlight soaks the sand in hues of charcoal and silver.

You reach the crest of a dune to find a dramatic scene unfolding before your eyes. Only thirty paces away, a warrior in a jaguar-hide cloak stands confronting a giant serpent with four heads. The warrior’s servant holds up a burning torch to give more light as his master moves forward. The torchlight looks like fresh blood along the monster’s gruesome fang-rimmed jaws.

Will you rush in to attack the monster (turn to 175), sneak off while the warrior is fighting it (turn to 365), or stand by and watch what happens (turn to 198)?

: What, there's no 'huck a bulbous cactus down his stupid throat' option?

: Oh come now, you're just being petulant.

: I missed my chance to go to the underworld, didn't get to mess with demons, and now some other dude with a snazzy coat is beating me to the punch? drat straight I'm peeved!

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 5/10

Possessions: magic wand, sword, waterskin, rope, salt, wad of dragon phlegm, your brother's skull, a heap of questionable wisdom, >3 bootsfull of sand

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a particularly bulbous cactus

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Stand and watch

So we actually chose the second-worst option? Wonderful.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Whoops. Sorry for getting everyone to bandwagon onto the worst cactus. :shobon:

Let's put our combat skills to some use and help fight this thing.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
We've been walking how many days now? Lllllet's just stand there and watch.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Evening Star likes to watch :quagmire:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is choosing none of the plants an instant death?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 198 posted:

You see the jagged outline of a sword in the warrior’s hand. He is no fool. He realizes the sword is not long enough to reach the vulnerable point where the four huge necks join the monster’s body, so he begins by dodging away from its attacks. This forces it to haul its bulk closer. As it does, the warrior suddenly rushes in to the attack.

At first it seems the ploy might work – three of the heads are extended, slavering eagerly, and he easily jumps past their guard. But from your vantage point you see that he should have made more of his pretense at retreating, since one of the heads has stayed cautiously aloft on the long stalk of its neck, watching warily like a hovering eagle. It lashes down with terrifying ferocity when the warrior is still an arm’s length from making his strike. His head is severed from his body in a single snap of those long jaws.

You hurriedly descend the slope of the dune. The fallen warrior’s head rolls across the sand and comes to rest at your feet. You glare up at the monster, determined not to fall victim to it in the same way. It sees you and gives vent to four predatory snarls.

You move in. You have no choice. You must slay this hydra or you cannot reach your goal.

Turn to 222.

: I feel as though I just missed a big opportunity.

: To get your head bitten off?

: Perhaps that's what it was...

Page 222 posted:

The hydra rolls its massive coils across the sand towards you. It moves slowly, but its heads can strike out with lightning speed. You will need to keep your wits about you if you are to survive this battle.

If you try dodging away from its attack, turn to 245.
If you rush straight in towards it, turn to 268.
If you stand your ground and make ready to parry, turn to 291.

: Uhhh...

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 5/10

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a particularly bulbous cactus

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure we're more than capable of taking down a four fanged attack. PARRY PARRY PARRY PARRY PARRY PARRY

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Our recently departed friend tried darting in, but first he did a successful dodge!

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Is there an option to use Vats? No? Ok then parry

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 291 posted:

Two of the monster’s heads lash out together. You give a cry of pain as long curved fangs scythe a chunk out of your flesh. Lose 3 Life Points — unless you have SWORDPLAY (and a sword) or UNARMED COMBAT, in which case you block one of the attacks and lose only 2 Life Points.

If you are still alive, you must decide whether to dodge back away from it (turn to 245), make a headlong assault (turn to 268), or attempt to distract it with a feint (turn to 419).

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 3/10

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
That was pretty dumb in hindsight, yeah. Probably need to back away I'm guessing, wait until the hydra commits to an assault.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Back away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 245 posted:

Three of its heads stab forward and the fourth sways aloft, surveying your every move. You barely evade the gnashing fangs as hot venom splashes into the sand where you were standing.

If you continue to dodge back, turn to 314.
If you think that now is the right moment to charge in and attack, turn to 337.

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 3/10

• Locked thread