Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJlNFWOHL44

Let's take a trip to Bright Falls this weekend, huh? Just you and me. Feels like we've been planning this vacation for years.

edit: Can you believe I made this video almost two years ago? All I did to touch it up today is replace the official song with (imo) a better, more recent live recording. And add the laughter. Feels like so long ago.

edit again: Fun fact! Way back when, I didn't use the actual song, I recorded myself playing the song on my real guitar! But I'm not a very good singer so I didn't end up using it. :sweatdrop:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm excited! Alan Wake is one of my absolute favorite games that unfortunately runs like rear end on my current PC.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Alan Wake is one of the reasons I bought an Xbox 360 - grumbling all the while as Alan Wake was originally announced for PC before becoming a console exclusive, and I'm a :pcgaming: elitist snob who doesn't like playing games on console. I never did get much use out of that 360.

Of course Alan Wake eventually came out on PC after all, which was good but also annoying since I'd already bought the 360 version.

Anyway I'm trying to say I like the game a lot and am looking forward to the LP!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Let's put an end to this nightmare.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
...Wow, that part at 16 minutes actually got me. *laughs rear end off*

Great LP. Thanks for putting forth the effort. Alan Wake's going to be a hell of a ride.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That shotgun reload animation is super rad.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Actually, according to Bethesda's VP of marketing/customer relations, Evil Within did do well enough to warrant a sequel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Technowolf posted:

Actually, according to Bethesda's VP of marketing/customer relations, Evil Within did do well enough to warrant a sequel.

Hell yeah! The hope stays alive.

I'm debating whether or not I should post the story explanation video before or after The Executioner. I don't mention The Executioner in it because it's not canon for reasons I'll get into during it, so it's not really a factor. Opinions?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The gun changes who you are.

Explanation before Executioner, sounds like it'll work better as a cap for what we've seen so far, and then Executioner will be suddenly VIDEOGAMES

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Based on what Kidman said at the end, I'm not convinced Ruvik actually escaped in Leslie. She says she failed, but then thanks Sebastian because "they didn't count on you." That makes me think that she's glad we killed Ruvik while she was handling Mobius.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fish Noise posted:

Explanation before Executioner, sounds like it'll work better as a cap for what we've seen so far, and then Executioner will be suddenly VIDEOGAMES

Sounds fair to me! In the meantime...

Let's take a trip to scenic Bright Falls together, home of the belly burster hot dog, Deer Fest, and all the nordic walking you could ever want. Also, dark creatures from beyond human imagination. This LP is two years in the making!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 4, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So that whole wireless hook-up to STEM, combined with how Sebastian and Joseph did threaten to turn into the human-like monsters in game, I wonder if that means that all the enemies in the game were the people who were in range of STEM like Sebastian and company were.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

CJacobs posted:

Sounds fair to me! In the meantime...

Let's take a trip to scenic Bright Falls together, home of the belly burster hot dog, Deer Fest, and all the nordic walking you could ever want. Also, dark creatures from beyond human imagination. This LP is two years in the making!

*Furiously looks for Tracking knobs on the monitor*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kibayasu posted:

So that whole wireless hook-up to STEM, combined with how Sebastian and Joseph did threaten to turn into the human-like monsters in game, I wonder if that means that all the enemies in the game were the people who were in range of STEM like Sebastian and company were.

It's possible! The game is kind of murky as to whether the wireless signal broadcast from Beacon outward, or just over the police radio to bring in only Seb/Joseph/Kidman/Connelly (;__;).

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pepito is the best cat because he gives you a gun instead of plorts. A good cat right there.

Honestly I'm willing to believe that maybe the wireless this took control of their bodies and Ruvik made them hook up to the physical machine because that's the only way he could transfer himself to a new body.

marshmallow creep posted:

Based on what Kidman said at the end, I'm not convinced Ruvik actually escaped in Leslie. She says she failed, but then thanks Sebastian because "they didn't count on you." That makes me think that she's glad we killed Ruvik while she was handling Mobius.

Maybe Ruvik was inside of all three of them, and in the sequel you have to figure out how to get Ruvik out of your head. Hire me video game maker people! :smugface emoji thing:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

What good runs on all of them. I'm looking forward to the Executioner stuff, and seconding hearing the explanation before the clip.

Sorry I've not been commenting a lot lately, life's kicking me in the rear end :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FelicityGS posted:

What good runs on all of them. I'm looking forward to the Executioner stuff, and seconding hearing the explanation before the clip.

Sorry I've not been commenting a lot lately, life's kicking me in the rear end :(

Hopefully this lengthy video on what in the world the story is in this video game helps cheer you up a bit!

It's finally here! If you want to read the long, long script for this video, you can find it here.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't think the plot of this game is as confusing as people make it out to be. It just requires some engagement and paying attention. But then people run into all the various gameplay frustrations and filler and get aggravated with the game so they (understandably) don't want to engage with it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You said Ruvik built STEM to reconnect with his sister. But Ruvik was told she died. How did he learn that she was alive?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mraagvpeine posted:

You said Ruvik built STEM to reconnect with his sister. But Ruvik was told she died. How did he learn that she was alive?

The game doesn't tell you one way or the other, but I don't think he ever found out. I figure that, since he wanted to use STEM to create his a fantasy world of his own design out of his own consciousness, he'd basically bring Laura back to life inside STEM by just imagining that she's there. I guess his logic would have been, "Laura is dead -> STEM can be anything I want it to be -> My memories of Laura can make her real enough." We found a note in The Consequence (or The Assignment, I can't remember) that details his attraction to his sister a little, and Jimenez speculates that it might have been more than just sibling affection.

edit: And in a way, he was successful! Laura is, uh, technically alive inside STEM without ever being connected to it! But because she was generated by Ruvik's hosed-up poisonous mind, she's a monster just like everything else he creates.

1stGear posted:

I don't think the plot of this game is as confusing as people make it out to be. It just requires some engagement and paying attention. But then people run into all the various gameplay frustrations and filler and get aggravated with the game so they (understandably) don't want to engage with it.

Well, I dunno, I both agree and disagree with this. I think the game's story can be unwound with some external thought, but imo the problem is that they don't implore you to do so. The game is presented from Sebastian's point of view, and as I mentioned, what he sees and understands is by no means objective. But because he doesn't ever think about it in depth, the game doesn't ask you to do so either, so I don't blame people for not analyzing it like I did here. I don't see that as a flaw though necessarily, because like I said, if you want to try to do so you can still untangle it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 5, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, that... kinda makes sense now. I have to admit the entire "Ruvik using Leslie to escape" deal went completely over my head when I played this. Speaking of, I bought this game thanks to your LP - and enjoyed the hell out of it, so it's double thanks, for game and for the let's play.

e: I honestly think what was most confusing for me were the STEM rooms. At no point in the (main) game you're told what is real and what isn't - and on what level of irreality/just how deep in Ruvik's brainspace are you. They don't even tell you if it's the same STEM so by the time you're back to Beacon you have absolutely no way to tell if Sebastian waking up means anything or if it's just another 'safe' brainspace like the hospital ward.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 5, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had a thought: The chapter 2 "wheeled into surgery" thing may actually be representative of Ruvik's memory of being taken to surgery to have his brain pulled out. After the doctors leave, that's when Laura crawls over "Sebastian" as he lies in the bed. If Sebastian is seeing himself in Ruvik's position, Laura coming over him could represent the STEM system he's lovingly crafted for himself coming to greet him as he's hooked in. The doctor temporarily turning into Kidman could represent Sebastian's distrust of Kidman and, possibly, the awareness Ruvik has that she's a Mobius agent like the doctor who popped his brain out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

37 minutes to respond to a 9-1-1 call? Krimson City must be based on Detroit.

Anyways thanks for summarizing. I can generally follow the big picture in convoluted plots like these but miss out on the details (like the locations being based on the main participants' memories) so I'm always appreciative when someone can point those out.

Zait
Feb 16, 2012
I think Sebastian fought the real Ruvik in the end of the main game, or at least the remnants of him attached to STEM. Yet I also agree that some of Ruvik got away inside Leslie,like in the matrix when a part of agent Smith escapes to the real world but the rest of him remains inside.

Besides, if Sebastian is the only one in STEM at that point and he is supposed to be so thick, how can he imagine all the things that happen around him? Those deformities are a trademark of Ruvik's.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zait posted:

I think Sebastian fought the real Ruvik in the end of the main game, or at least the remnants of him attached to STEM. Yet I also agree that some of Ruvik got away inside Leslie,like in the matrix when a part of agent Smith escapes to the real world but the rest of him remains inside.

Besides, if Sebastian is the only one in STEM at that point and he is supposed to be so thick, how can he imagine all the things that happen around him? Those deformities are a trademark of Ruvik's.

The way I figure it, Sebastian is fighting the leftover bits of Ruvik's consciousness that are trapped inside STEM. The final boss is an amalgamation of everything you fight in the game: It's got Ruvik's body inside the head, with bits of everything else poking out of the brain he's attached to. There's Laura's arms embracing him, the Keeper's safe behind him, the various haunted types here and there, a hosed-up head from an Alter Ego, the big ol heads from Amalgam Alpha, the Sentinel dog, and the monster itself has the headger/braces of the water creatures.

When he smashes the brain at the end, that's him removing Ruvik's memory from the system, however much of him is left. Just my interpretation though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 6, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I helped! indirectly

I should add that I don't think Sebastian is a dumbass or anything, he's at least somewhat successful as a police detective and surely that does take some form of imagination, it's just that his talents, skills, and way of thinking don't lead to processing the wild abstractions of STEM very well, which happens to provide him an effective defense against it. He's investigation-smart, real-world-problem-solving-smart, and gun-smart, but he's not art-analysis-smart.

CJacobs posted:

I think the game's story can be unwound with some external thought, but imo the problem is that they don't implore you to do so. The game is presented from Sebastian's point of view, and as I mentioned, what he sees and understands is by no means objective. But because he doesn't ever think about it in depth, the game doesn't ask you to do so either, so I don't blame people for not analyzing it like I did here. I don't see that as a flaw though necessarily, because like I said, if you want to try to do so you can still untangle it.
At the same time, it does seem like people can be a bit fast to resort to and double down on the "it doesn't make sense it's a dream there's no meaning la la laaaaa", almost like a funhouse mirror image of Sebastian in STEM.

Zait posted:

CJacobs posted:

The way I figure it, Sebastian is fighting the leftover bits of Ruvik's consciousness that are trapped inside STEM. The final boss is an amalgamation of everything you fight in the game: For example, it's got Ruvik's body in the head, with Laura's arms embracing him, with the big ol heads of Amalgam Alpha poking out of the sides, and the water monsters' mouth/headgear. When he smashes the brain at the end, that's him removing Ruvik's memory from the system, however much of him is left. Just my interpretation though.
My take is that all Ruviks are effectively real. This is not someone who places particular importance on his original development path, which is in fact dead and discarded. This is someone who will freely split himself into replicas, all recognizably Ruvik, and all that really matters is that one of those survives to carry on his work.
Consider: Ruvik does not give a single poo poo about the clone problem. That is the whole point of STEM in the first place, to recreate something that Ruvik recognizes as his sister. The truth and actual fate of the original has been obviated and no longer matters.
To Ruvik, there's no need to fuss around with carefully packing up everything and moving over completely, or crafting a convincing image to leave behind and give Sebastian a vague sense of victory so he won't continue to pursue. I'm certain these are well within his capabilities, but he doesn't see people in such a way that it'd matter to him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A couple questions/theories:

1. When and how did Sebastian/Joseph/Kidman get physically attached to STEM? Related question: are the gurney cutscenes possibly meant to represent what Sebastian actually experienced? Were the main characters hooked into STEM by MOBIUS employees, and if so, why weren't the MOBIUS folks effected, and why were there actual bodies in the hospital?
2. The wiki says that Tatiana Gutierrez (the saferoom nurse) might be a dead body we see when first entering the hospital at the beginning of the game. Is this accurate? What's the explanation for her/the saferoom? Was she a STEM test subject? Are people who were previously connected to STEM that die all still "ghosts in the machine" like Ruvik, then? Would this explain the status of the enemies we encounter in the game, and why the journalist doesn't have a body in STEM at the end?
3. Related to question 1, what's with this dude? He's not discussed, but is present at the ending.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Discendo Vox posted:

A couple questions/theories:

1. When and how did Sebastian/Joseph/Kidman get physically attached to STEM? Related question: are the gurney cutscenes possibly meant to represent what Sebastian actually experienced? Were the main characters hooked into STEM by MOBIUS employees, and if so, why weren't the MOBIUS folks effected, and why were there actual bodies in the hospital?
2. The wiki says that Tatiana Gutierrez (the saferoom nurse) might be a dead body we see when first entering the hospital at the beginning of the game. Is this accurate? What's the explanation for her/the saferoom? Was she a STEM test subject? Are people who were previously connected to STEM that die all still "ghosts in the machine" like Ruvik, then? Would this explain the status of the enemies we encounter in the game, and why the journalist doesn't have a body in STEM at the end?
3. Related to question 1, what's with this dude? He's not discussed, but is present at the ending.

#1 isn't ever answered, what I choose to imagine is that they just walked themselves there or maybe MOBIUS came and nabbed them from the lobby. Everything you see after the gang gets out of the police car is inside STEM- and if Ruvik appearing there to kidnap Seb wasn't enough evidence, Jimenez is there, even though he's the one that sent out the signal in the first place so he has to already be hooked up. As to why MOBIUS wasn't affected by the signal, it seems relatively likely that the signal was only broadcast into the police car, and not city-wide.

edit: As to why there were actual bodies in the hospital, I am unsure. I guess they massacred some of the leftover patients to make it look like a real crime scene, so that when the real cops busted in as they do at the end of the game, they wouldn't go too deep into the facility and find MOBIUS' hidey hole in the lighthouse. Maybe.

#2 is just plain not true, there is a female nurse corpse but it doesn't really look like her (I saw that too and checked for myself). Also, she's alive at the end of the game and working for MOBIUS, you can see her in both the main game's ending and the end of The Consequence. I don't think there's ever an explanation for the safe room either, but it's probably supposed to represent a hidden pocket of STEM Ruvik can't get to for whatever reason. As he grows stronger, it changes, and by the end of the game he's started appearing in there just to gently caress with you.

And yeah, that's the explanation for the enemies. They're the remnants of people that were put into STEM who, like Ruvik, had a piece of their consciousness left behind when they left. Since Ruvik has the most control over the whole thing, the memories are basically just mindless zombies that do whatever he wants them to. We will actually get a concrete explanation of this from the game itself in The Executioner! Which is probably not canon for multiple reasons you'll see once we get there, but it uses the same world-building rules as the rest of the content.

#3 is weird as hell. I have no idea what's up with that guy. I pointed out the cop from the missing persons poster in The Assignment, but that dude is just a mystery.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 6, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm just somewhat confused by the modern day city that Sebastian and company work in, and the old timey clothes of the villagers and the Victoriano family. And ok, Ruvik is a pretty sympathetic character due to the abuse he survived. That's not excusing the hosed up poo poo he's done, but there is a hint of something you could empathize on behalf of. He was dealt a bad card and then just rolled with it in ways that are just hosed up.

But did LesRuviklie really escape? Sebastian sees him walking away/teleporting, but Kidman sees him being carried away by Mobius. I guess maybe he escaped from Mobius straight away afterwards? I'm sure we'll get answers in The Evil Within 2: Revengeance.

Also it's so nice that Kidman isn't just standing around while Sebastian gets poo poo done.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Most of the Haunted seem to be echoes of the other people Ruvik drove insane and corrupted within STEM, but I wonder if its wireless system snagged a few people close to the hospital too. I also wonder if the real-world hospital is quite the same slaughterhouse we saw in the intro...it's ambiguous.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm just somewhat confused by the modern day city that Sebastian and company work in, and the old timey clothes of the villagers and the Victoriano family. And ok, Ruvik is a pretty sympathetic character due to the abuse he survived. That's not excusing the hosed up poo poo he's done, but there is a hint of something you could empathize on behalf of. He was dealt a bad card and then just rolled with it in ways that are just hosed up.

It seems like The Evil Within is set in a completely fictional universe rather than being meant to take place in "modern America" or anything like that. Like the real United States doesn't really have small European farming villages sitting just outside major cities. I don't know if the developers did any world building deeper than just Krimson City and the villages, but I'm guessing it's like Ace Combat's Strangereal world where it's a completely fictional Earth that just happens to have a lot of real world stuff.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 6, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I only wish we lived in a world where I could dress up for my job like a victorian gothic cowboy

and not look like an idiot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Seb's outfit and character design are awesome, anything else aside. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree! I only wish he fought werewolves in this game, and then all my fantasies will have come true.

edit: Well, all of my fantasies except for one, but then we have fanfiction.net and tumblr for that. Speaking of, I collected a bunch of japanese TEW art I found on pixiv and it's mostly good stuff, but I have no idea what to do with it.

You guys don't want to know how much porn and just general sexy pics of Seb/Joseph there was. Like, you actually don't want to know. The amount you're imagining?

There's more than that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 6, 2016

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Hey, I appreciate the high-effort explanation video. Having played just the main game - and only once - I had no idea what was going on, really. Partially because I didn't care enough to think much about it, in my defence. I just... I don't know, I don't think The Evil Within is a bad game, but I did find it to be a bit of an un-fun slog.

RE4 but with the fun sucked out.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will you still be making that unlockables video you mentioned before?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I'm actually pretty curious about the series of events that leads to Myra becoming part of Mobius, honestly. I don't even remember quite what her backstory was. She was investigating a conspiracy that she had cooked up and was also actually true, right? Something like that?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

liquidypoo posted:

I'm actually pretty curious about the series of events that leads to Myra becoming part of Mobius, honestly. I don't even remember quite what her backstory was. She was investigating a conspiracy that she had cooked up and was also actually true, right? Something like that?

Myra is pretty much sequel-bait. I don't believe she's ever given much explanation beyond "Sebastian thinks she's dead, but she's working for Mobius".

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Myra and Sebastian's daughter is dead, so Myra fakes her disappearance to join Mobius in order to help finish creating STEM which will let her live with her daughter again. Not unlike Ruvik, but less incest-y or violently psychopathic. Is Ruvik supposed to be incestuous? I never got that vibe. Well, aside from the whole 'sister's spindly hands covering his crotchal regions as the Final Boss'. Maybe I'm happily blind to gross incest poo poo. My one lame super power.

Actually I have no idea what's going on with Myra :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

value-brand cereal posted:

in order to help finish creating STEM which will let her live with her daughter again.
I figured that Mobius had gotten to Myra at some point along the line, but that hadn't occurred to me.

• Locked thread