Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
What does STEM stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Will you still be making that unlockables video you mentioned before?

I will! It's coming after The Executioner. (because The Executioner has some fun dumb rear end unlockables of its own)

liquidypoo posted:

I'm actually pretty curious about the series of events that leads to Myra becoming part of Mobius, honestly. I don't even remember quite what her backstory was. She was investigating a conspiracy that she had cooked up and was also actually true, right? Something like that?

Myra was investigating the disappearances at Beacon and eventually uncovered real deep poo poo about STEM and MOBIUS. The game doesn't explain why she's with MOBIUS, but I assume that they kidnapped her and gave her an ultimatum: Join us, or we'll kill your husband just like we killed your daughter. Then we'll kill you! So she did, and then they brainwashed her like they did to Kidman (or tried to do to Kidman anyway, jury's out on whether it worked or not).

IronSaber posted:

What does STEM stand for?

I have no idea. I actually don't think it's even an acronym. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 7, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I agree! I only wish he fought werewolves in this game, and then all my fantasies will have come true.

I bet you really love Bloodborne, then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

I bet you really love Bloodborne, then.

I sure do!

But Bloodborne doesn't have a good Sebastian esque hair so I can't recreate him accurately :negative:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

But Bloodborne doesn't have a good Sebastian esque hair so I can't recreate him accurately :negative:

What about the others? Can you make a Joseph or a Kidman?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

What about the others? Can you make a Joseph or a Kidman?

Unfortunately, not really. I'm pretty good with the souls games' character creators but I just can't pull it off. I implore anyone else who owns Bloodborne to try it and show their results though because hey you might have more success than me!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That was a pretty great video! I'd picked up on most of it via watching and the thread, but it was still nice to have it all wrapped up with a bow.

I personally subscribe to the idea that Lesvik (i made that up) just darted around the corner super fast and is like panting out of breath just out of sight, because ultimately I think it would be funnier that way. Gotta deal with a real world body again Ruvik, good luck!! That'd be a great cheesy spin off.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

value-brand cereal posted:

Myra and Sebastian's daughter is dead, so Myra fakes her disappearance to join Mobius in order to help finish creating STEM which will let her live with her daughter again. Not unlike Ruvik, but less incest-y or violently psychopathic. Is Ruvik supposed to be incestuous? I never got that vibe. Well, aside from the whole 'sister's spindly hands covering his crotchal regions as the Final Boss'. Maybe I'm happily blind to gross incest poo poo. My one lame super power.

Actually I have no idea what's going on with Myra :v:
Jimenez says "this reeks of incest" in a note somewhere, so it's probably wrong because Jimenez is a tremendous loving moron and always makes the worst decisions possible.

I also didn't get most of why Leslie was relevant at all, so thank you very much for the summary. It doesn't help that I sometimes had months of not watching the videos, then four in a row, so some explanations were forgotten. Though to be quite honest, even if I binge-played this in a single sitting, I would not have gotten half of it because
1) single-sentence explanations between action segments which tie together over the course of an entire game are pretty much impossible for me to figure out, as I usually don't even pay attention while they're said
2) some stuff you can only figure out by comparing and contrasting it with the DLC, good loving luck without recorded LP vids to do so
3) most of the exposition comes from Jimenez so it's probably bullshit anyway

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYd3gJNI7qY

Good news, I figured out how I'm going to keep The Executioner interesting: Awesome and fitting music! It will be a few more days till it's ready because I have to find like 11 songs to use, and like I said in the Alan Wake thread it is finals week, but I'm excited! Syncing up this one in particular is what inspired the idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIx5DRkJ2k4

Here is another preview. I blame/thank Blind Sally for this one.

edit: By the way, if you are a Germany-liver-in-er, don't worry, I'm clearing these on an alt account as I put them in just to make sure I won't get any copyright strikes or videos blocked in other places. The most you'll see are ads on the videos which is eh whatever. They can have their fractions of a penny if they really want it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 9, 2016

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I don't think I've even seen anything about the Executioner DLC before. Huh. That really wasn't what I was expecting. I'm always surprised to see anything in first-person from Japanese devs - since it's apparently just not done over there - but first-person in DLC for a normally third-person game from Japanese devs; that's really unexpected.

I'm getting some vague Dying Light vibes from it; probably because there aren't many first-person brawlers out there and Dying Light is a pretty good one.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

HELL YEAH I'M PUMPed!! If you don't hear kick rear end music while tendering the townspeople , well, I question your meat practices.

Also thanks Blind Sally, you're a good influence!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today we delve into the mind of The Keeper, listen to some sweet tunes, and beat up a whole lot of haunted with our bigass hammer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Wow, the Bioshock influence is pretty direct there.

It's very interesting that

1. There's a brain in the middle of the STEM apparatus again.
2. Joseph is the only one you need to use Detective Vision on to see
3. Joseph's glasses, his "anchor" to sanity, are visible before you use detective vision.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's very interesting that

1. There's a brain in the middle of the STEM apparatus again.

This bugs the hell out of me. Whose brain is that dammit! I wanna know!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I haven't had time to watch the whole video yet - it's pretty long. But oh man, the tight FOV, jerky camera movements (some from the game, some not) and low frame-rate... :barf:

PSA for game devs and publishers: a FOV slider is an accessibility requirement. (Boy will I feel silly if it turns out The Executioner's options menu does have a FOV slider.)

I do like that you can see your own shadow, though. Surprisingly few first-person games manage to do that, and it adds a lot to ~MY IMMERSION~.

Oh, and that Kasabian song always reminds me of that... interesting moment it was used in in the Alan Wake expansion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know how you feel, the FOV makes me kinda woozy too after playing it for a while. I'm one of those people that gets kinda nauseous from low-FOV games and games with lots of erratic movements (Ace Combaaattt).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Antistar01 posted:

I do like that you can see your own shadow, though. Surprisingly few first-person games manage to do that, and it adds a lot to ~MY IMMERSION~.

I had a moment in Dishonored 2 where I grabbed a guy on some stairs next to a searchlight, and all I could think as I was choking him out was, "hey, I don't have a shadow but he does!" It's like taking the Outsider's mark makes you some kind of vampire, but with shadows instead of reflections.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It seems a bit strange to me that they make this DLC about a complete cipher looking for his daughter instead of Joseph. Just looking at the tools they gave Joseph, there's some good gameplay variety in axe, gun and dynamite. There could even have been a gameplay mechanic with his oh-so-signature glasses--something small like him adjusting his glasses to use the detective vision instead of a glowing pulse, or maybe when he takes too hard a smack he loses the glasses and has to find them before his sense of self disintegrates.

And I'm pretty sure if they wanted to go with the father angle, Joseph is a dad too! He could have been motivated by a drive to escape and return to his family!

Now we know Joseph has been unhooked from STEM, and we know that that means a part of him could still be in the machine. Those together remind me of a Constantine story I encountered once where a man jacked his consciousness into a computer and then, while he was busy in cyberspace, his body disintegrated because shenanigans. So he's still there but he can't get out. To play a fragment of Joseph through a gauntlet of horrors, trying to get out, only to discover he has no body to return to, no means of actually exiting the system, because his body has been taken away, is some existential horror right there. He wins, he sees a means of escape, and he realizes that his body is gone. Shot of his despair as his glasses crack. Cut to credits.

Because this game loves making GBS threads on Joseph almost as much as it does Connelly!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That would be pretty cool. Joseph's presence in STEM is pretty strange. If I had to go with a theory, I'd assume something similar to what I said in the video- The real Joseph is disconnected from STEM (you can't see him in either the intro or ending of The Executioner), but his consciousness lives on as just another monster. The notes we picked up in the video say that if the host gets disconnected from their consciousness, they die but the consciousness lives on. But maybe Joseph is a special case, and he got fractured just like the Keeper does and his haunted self became its own entity just like the Dark Keeper.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the new core brain is Joseph's.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the new core brain is Joseph's.

:eyepop: oh poo poo

edit: I mean... really, it'd have to be, if it was someone plot-relevant and not just some rando. Joseph is the only one who survived the game but is still under MOBIUS' control at the end!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That song did fit the Dark Keeper fight pretty well. I think this might have been even better though, considering the Dark Keeper is basically Pyramid Head. :v: I mean Safe Head was already pretty close, but that great knife sword makes it really on the nose.

Maybe that would have made for too much Silent Hill music in one video, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Next update will be a few more days, sorry. Working on other LP stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rzhHPoa8A
(starts at 10:30)

In the meantime, I streamed Alien Isolation blind and boy that game is a rough time. I get killed a lot and it's very spooky so you should watch it if you're into that!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm not sure I realised you could see your own body in Alien Isolation... unless you increase the FOV, because cranking that slider up is probably the first thing I did when I started the game the first time.

Like I said earlier, FOV sliders are great! I love FOV sliders. It's pretty unfortunate that they disabled the first person body like that, because I love that too. It was probably due to some clipping or other graphical weirdness with the body model. You get that sometimes when combined with increased reasonable FOV settings.

I also love those terminals (and all the retro-future tech). They remind me of the good old glowing green monochrome screens of the Apple IIe, back in primary school. (Because I am old.)

Never saw that slow-mo bug when I played the game. Weird.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Working Joes: Your Plastic Pal Who's Fun To Be WithTM

Wortpine
Oct 4, 2013
The Isolation stream was quite fun times with our extraterrestrial hug-happy pal. I've watched a couple of LPs of the game and I think the Joes manage to creep me out more than the xeno. Something about the uncertainty of whether they are hostile or not and their ability to take half a dozen revolver shots to the face make them pretty frightening when they slumber towards you in a cramped hallway which may or may not be a dead end.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Heads up: The entire Resident Evil franchise is on sale for up to 80% on Steam, including RE4 for 6.99.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Double Post, but some New Years leaks of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite say that Leon, Ada, and Wesker MAY be in presumably to promote the upcoming RE2 Remake. This, however, is just a rumor right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am excited to beat people up with Leon's wavy hair. The more people I can air-juggle as RE characters, the better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Let's have some fun, bust some heads, and blow STEM to hell.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Holy poo poo Sebastian's damage output.

And I'm not seeing a problem with any of the music choices or what they may or may not imply here.

Ex Ops posted:

The Executioner: This isn't possible.
Joseph: Oh, I assure you, it is.
The Executioner: How?!
Sebastian: Not how. Why? You were never meant to come here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Take a bow, Sebastian.

Thank you for watching!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Did I miss something? What was the unlock for beating the Dream Duo?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's infinite ammo for all the weapons. Beating Sebastian and Joseph at the same time is not all that fun so I decided to leave the LP off with a victory for the good guys. The good, insane, ghost guys.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Well thanks for a great LP, man; I enjoyed it. It was good to see what I missed by not playing The Evil Within DLC (I.e. the actual plot of the game), and RE4 is a perennial favourite.

Wortpine
Oct 4, 2013
Saw the finale video on my youtube feed and thought I have to come and comment once more how much I enjoyed this thread and LP. The effort put into it really showed and made it really fun and an enjoyable ride! So far I have also enjoyed the Alan Wake episodes, so definitely looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Edit: Also, the cut at the start of the last chorus on the video with the shade and haunted definitely made me smile and got a good chuckle out of me. :allears:

Wortpine fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 4, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Ya did good, CJ.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Well, that was a delightfully jarring-in-tone ending. Thanks again, CJacobs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Hey, what was that song you put in the last video? This is the second time this has happened with one of your LPs where you've put in a song that gets stuck in my head. Oh and this was a great LP. Great job on both games and I'm sure I'll hear something in the Alan Wake one and this will happen again.

• Locked thread