Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
My only regret is that the game will have a narrative which means I can't play it while listning to podcasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

My only regret is that the game will have a narrative which means I can't play it while listening to podcasts

Fortunately this game is hours of two people talking to each other about a mix of throwaway dumb poo poo and surprising things you didn't know about whats going on so ideally you won't notice you aren't listening to a podcast.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Pretty excited for this.

I'm also excited for Sean Vanaman to come back to the podcast. COME BACK SEAN

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
In my mind, Firewatch is the culmination of things expressed on the Idle Thumbs podcast.

I'm eager to see how, if at all, it reflects your discussions about Pikmin, Far Cry 2, grenades, hills and games without combat mechanics. I know for a fact it'll have at least one of those things and none of another.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

In my mind, Firewatch is the culmination of things expressed on the Idle Thumbs podcast.

I'm eager to see how, if at all, it reflects your discussions about Pikmin, Far Cry 2, grenades, hills and games without combat mechanics. I know for a fact it'll have at least one of those things and none of another.

Are there actually any proper mechanics in the game outside of the dialogue choices and standard adventure game interactions?

Edit: And I don't mean that to be dismissive. Just wondering if it's a game where all your actions within the world are context sensitive rather than systemic.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Donnerberg posted:

I'm now imagining the game building up tension over the course of say two hours of exploring, including a desperate escape from a hungry wolf or something, only to run across three dozen Pikmin who do your bidding, collecting Duracells for your walkie-talkie or something.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Firewatch website has updated with price info!

20 bucks, can preorder on steam for 18 (10% off).

25 bucks gets you the soundtrack too, though I don't know if there is any place you could listen to it before you buy it.

One more week until launch!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

tinaun posted:

Firewatch website has updated with price info!

20 bucks, can preorder on steam for 18 (10% off).

25 bucks gets you the soundtrack too, though I don't know if there is any place you could listen to it before you buy it.

One more week until launch!
Pre-ordered in a heartbeat, now to wait...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Whoah holy poo poo that is a lot cheaper than I was expecting it to be (thought it would be 40). I'm so in

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I saw it pop up on my steam discounts emails and was so excited until I rediscovered that it's still a week away. :negative:

Preordering so goddamn hard and pushing to get my current project done by next Tuesday so I can binge an entire playthrough immediately after returning from class.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 3, 2016

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I saw it pop up on my steam discounts emails and was so excited until I rediscovered that it's still a week away. :negative:

Preordering so goddamn hard and pushing to get my current project done by next Tuesday so I can binge an entire playthrough immediately after returning from class.

If preordering weirds you out, it'll still be discounted at the preorder price at launch.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Maaaaaaaan I wanted this for ages and wanted to see the specs but now it looks like my laptop's graphics card might be too weak. Fuuuuck. e; or not. This poo poo is confusing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Everything has lead to this moment.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I just watched the giantbomb thing and I am very excited for the game

You can even role play as a grumpy rear end in a top hat

Also

turns out it was a video game the whole time

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
My stupid review will go up on the front page Wednesday, but I'll post the text in here when the embargo's up on Tuesday. I'll also answer any questions people might have at that point, without revealing much. This is definitely the sort of experience you want to go into blindly and let yourself get swept along.

I'm having a very difficult time finding room for my usual bad jokes in between all the earnest praise.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

My stupid review will go up on the front page Wednesday, but I'll post the text in here when the embargo's up on Tuesday. I'll also answer any questions people might have at that point, without revealing much. This is definitely the sort of experience you want to go into blindly and let yourself get swept along.

I'm having a very difficult time finding room for my usual bad jokes in between all the earnest praise.

Don't worry, the game seem to have those handled. In a good way I mean.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just watched a series of streamers on youtube and, to put it bluntly, did No-one not steal the goddamn whiskey? I mean seriously!

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Watching a lot of the preview stuff, it looks neat, even if the dynamic dialogue style inadvertently made some of the exchanges quite stilted. The price is below what I expected too.

But I also got pretty motion sick watching some of this stuff. Would it break embargo to say whether there's an FOV slider? Kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Scorchy posted:

But I also got pretty motion sick watching some of this stuff. Would it break embargo to say whether there's an FOV slider? Kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Doesn't appear to be in the game options, but the devs have confirmed you can edit the FOV in the config files.

EDIT: the FOV is also wider in the game by default now than the earlier previews show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
First review:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/08/firewatch-review-first-person-simulation-adventure-game

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Haven't finished writing my review yet, but here's a relevant chunk:

quote:

It's got exploration and all sorts of items to interact with, but it's not an open world or survival game. There's more character work in the first half hour than in just about any game I can think of, but you mostly speak to one person on the other end of a walkie talkie. Traversal and Metroid-like map progression are prominent, but you're a chubby guy pushing 40 who grunts while stepping over a log.

So what is Firewatch? It's a series of engrossing conversations that pull you into the orbit of one of the above elements for just the right amount of time before flinging you off to the next one.

You poke around your tower. A conversation nudges you to explore. You get a bit lost and begin to realize how big this place is. You find something odd and have a chat about it. You say something that reveals a surprising aspect of your character. Hurrying back as darkness falls, you pass several places that seem worth a visit later. Before you settle in for the night, something rattles you, making you reconsider your place in the world.

Firewatch is a constant shifting of your expectations. Just when you think you understand the scope of any given part of the game (from the story to the setting or the things you can do within it) that element moves in an unexpected way, leaving you off balance. Since the game goes so far to get you invested, feeling unsure about your situation evokes surprisingly strong reactions. You feel like a vulnerable person dealing with remarkably human situations.
This isn't the sort of game that tries too hard to be important without saying anything. It's very easygoing and confident. It's also rewarding from the beginning until the very end, which comes just when you feel it's time to wind things down.

I do have a tip. I'll spoil it even though it's very vague and about a mechanic: Be sure to use the camera

Also, a more vague tip: Take your time and explore. If you walk and keep your eyes open you'll come across some surprising stuff. I discovered a few things completely outside the path of the story, each with a surprising amount of detail leading to Real Good conversations.

Oh! There's another thing. Someone was asking about FOV. I'm usually sensitive to narrow FOVs but didn't feel like anything was off. This is, however, a game where you have an actual body that you can look down at, Trespasser style. The movement is a bit deliberate and grounded (which really sells the effect of being there) so that might come across as odd in videos. There's a setting to disable the head bob.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 8, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Along those lines: time advances with plot beats so exploration will not harm story progress.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Oh! There's another thing. Someone was asking about FOV. I'm usually sensitive to narrow FOVs but didn't feel like anything was off. This is, however, a game where you have an actual body that you can look down at, Trespasser style. The movement is a bit deliberate and grounded (which really sells the effect of being there) so that might come across as odd in videos. There's a setting to disable the head bob.

The FOV is locked because we have an in-camera character. The game looks insane and broken if you slide the FOV because suddenly you can see way more arms and neck than a normal person ever would.

THAT SAID we'll be posting instructions on how to modify the FOV value for people who absolutely need to adjust it to prevent sickness. It's hidden but user-modifiable and the game will respect it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is there a health meter tattoo?

Preordered based on this thread, looking forward to the game.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

bagrada posted:

Is there a health meter tattoo?

Preordered based on this thread, looking forward to the game.

Yeah, looks like it'll be a good time

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Is this launching at midnight? I have tomorrow off, and staying up all night, playing this in the dark, sounds like my jam.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

Clitch posted:

Is this launching at midnight? I have tomorrow off, and staying up all night, playing this in the dark, sounds like my jam.

I'm wandering the same thing but on PS4. I have both UK and US accounts so I'll get it on which ever store updates first.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Pre-load is up for those interested.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Clitch posted:

The devs have said "tomorrow morning" so I suspect the usual 10 AM PST Valve release time.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

From what I have managed to play of this (haven't finished it yet), this feels like interactive fiction more than any other genre. It's outstanding, and I think the best game in the field, but I am struggling to call it anything else. I mean there are adventure trappings here, but it's not really an adventure game to me. I think it may be because I am getting older.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 8, 2016

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Thanks for the FOV answers.

All the reviews so far are in the very good-great range so that bodes well.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

New gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njAAoUYfmRI

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Funso Banjo posted:

From what I have managed to play of this (haven't finished it yet), this feels like interactive fiction more than any other genre. It's outstanding, and I think the best game in the field, but I am struggling to call it anything else. I mean there are adventure trappings here, but it's not really an adventure game to me. I think it may be because I am getting older.

I'm just here for the exploration. How is that?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A lot of reviews are mentioning consistent frame-rate issues on the PS4. Super bummer.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I already preordered because it's at that indie game sweet spot. I am hoping it's a good walking simulator type a la vanishing of Ethan carter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Funso Banjo posted:

Adventure games don't be need to be puzzle heavy and they can just rely on exploration, Riven only had like four puzzles total and most of them were tied with just exploring and learning about Riven.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

Along those lines: time advances with plot beats so exploration will not harm story progress.

Oh this is actually cool and something I didn't pick up on in the previews I watched. I'm gonna get lost in the woods so fast.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dammit, I wasn't going to spend any more money today but I'm convinced. Here's to pre-loading!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Here's the Rock Paper Shotgun review if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Threw in a preorder as well, really looking forward to this.

• Locked thread