Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

kevin mung posted:

do any of these guys do a podcast??

yeah at least two of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
what iiiissss firewatch?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

ja2ke posted:

It's got a lot in common with adventure games (lots of looking at, poking at, and talking about stuff, with very fine grained dialogue trees that remember your choices as you play, and your uncovering of the story and participation in the story is the central driving element in the game), but it's also set in a contiguous interconnected outdoor world, which you slowly unlock and more efficiently re-traverse as you gain new knowledge and abilities (eg: climbing rope lets you clip into old anchor/carabiner hookups around the world to get down previous inaccessible cliffs to new large areas of the map). A thing that I hope sets Firewatch apart from other similar "explore a space" games is that you are a participant in events that are happening inside the timeline of the game -- it's a mystery story that involves and hinges on you being there when you are -- and is not entirely focused on picking through the ashes of "what happened in this place long ago." A "first-person modern adventure game in a contiguous outdoor space" is very accurate, so don't expect a Miasmata or Metroid or something, but do expect a game that asks more of you than pushing through its contents in a line.

jake , will the game feature procedurally generated content for example if you walk into a grove the bears could be blue instead of brown also will there be guns in the game?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

ja2ke posted:

There's no proceduraly-generated content. It's a handmade world. The time of day system is all operating in realtime, but is driven by the story (if you stand still for hours it won't become night time, but as you progress through the story, the world does change around you in realtime). You can also pick up and throw things around to make big gross piles of garbage (or keep them in your tower) like you can in Gone Home and other physics-aware exploration games. I honestly can't remember if there are guns in the game. There's definitely a radio, a flashlight, and a compass.

sounds like how I played morrowind, sold

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Pewdiepie posted:

Firewatch these nuts.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm really looking forward to this game but please make the next thnread in february so I don't have to get worked up in vain

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
My only regret is that the game will have a narrative which means I can't play it while listning to podcasts

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I just watched the giantbomb thing and I am very excited for the game

You can even role play as a grumpy rear end in a top hat

Also

turns out it was a video game the whole time

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

My stupid review will go up on the front page Wednesday, but I'll post the text in here when the embargo's up on Tuesday. I'll also answer any questions people might have at that point, without revealing much. This is definitely the sort of experience you want to go into blindly and let yourself get swept along.

I'm having a very difficult time finding room for my usual bad jokes in between all the earnest praise.

Don't worry, the game seem to have those handled. In a good way I mean.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

bagrada posted:

Is there a health meter tattoo?

Preordered based on this thread, looking forward to the game.

Yeah, looks like it'll be a good time

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Cowman posted:

This looks really neat but I'm scared that there's going to be some dumb gimmick that ruins it for me. I hope there's no monster out hunting you like there was in Miasmata. Loved that game but the cat monster thing ruined the exploration and survival fun of it all.

The gimmick is that it's narrative driven game and you cant shoot guns

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Cowman posted:

I'm sold. Gonna be preordering it then.

its really scary cause you gotta talk to a girl

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
The game is on the top seller list on steam if that has any meaning

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Macaluso posted:

For as much as I'll bitch about the ending and the mystery sucking (and they do), the dialogue between Henry and Delilah is fantastic. I'm watching Jesse Cox play through the game right now, and the part where Henry is like "There are *whispers* two naked ladies" and Delilah whispers back "Can you handle that?" is a really funny cute little moment between them. And it always sounds pretty natural. I gotta give big props to the writing for Henry and Delilah at the very least.

The p-panties line is great as well

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I liked the part where you exit the cave and get the gun, right after AREA 51 and you get to shoot the aliens with the gun.

This game was good though well see ya.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

CharlestonJew posted:

I skimmed the article and saw the word "sexualized" so im gonna guess he spent most of his time jo'ing to delilah's voice like the game was a $20 phone sex line.

just like me :getin:

its weird that a man and a woman who are emotionally unstable and isolated for a long period and basically only have each other to talk to sort of get attracted to each other hmm very odd

I also didn't read the article though

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I don't really see the problem, the game presents you with a mystery then at the end it all wraps up nicely

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
No I'm talking about Firewatch
ethan carter seems too abstract for me so I've never played it

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

I'm glad for them !

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Fans posted:

Seems like the better option. One of the choices if you do look after her is if you should leave her completely unattended at night while you go drinking or if you should wedge a chair under the door so she can't wander off.

Henry is not a very good carer.

To be fair, full time care of someone with any kind of dementia all by yourself sounds like a nightmare, especially if it's someone you love :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
You see some naked girls

• Locked thread