Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wow, that ending put a look on my face that I'm guessing was not the developers' intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

"Hey we should take every plot thread and just make it so literally none of them have satisfying conclusions. That'd be loving hilarious"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

People defending the ending like to make the tired argument of "oh well there aren't always happy endings in real life." But that is not the issue. The issue is you ostensibly have this main character trying to come to terms with his own guilt and ultimately finding a way to connect to someone new. And those are the best parts of the game! When it's just Henry and Delilah chatting and acting like real people. And then they introduce all this stuff with the mysterious person(s) tailing you and from there every single interaction between the two is "OMG I'm so spooked what's going on?!" and it loses all of the appeal.

And then the ending comes and Henry basically has a giant steaming poo poo taken on him in every way imaginable. Delilah is gone and was probably lying and emotionally manipulating you the entire time. The bad guy just bails and you wonder what the entire ordeal was loving for (I guess he wanted to frame Delilah as some sort of revenge for his son's death?) And Henry ends up going home without having worked through any of his problems and with a whole bunch of new baggage to boot.

It just sucked. The game should have been 2-3 hours longer (or had fewer long sections of walking from one side of the map to the other) to more fully explore the relationship and Henry's experiences.

Oh and I also like that the game is constantly trying to browbeat Henry if he ever implies that he should have an option to move on with his life. The dude is 40 years old and has a wife who will never recognize his face again. Maybe it makes me a bad person but I wouldn't blame the guy for not wanting to be essentially alone the rest of his life.

Sorry for the rant, I figured I'd add something more meaningful than my earlier posts just bitching.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 24, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Scorchy posted:

It sounds like you're the one making the judgement on what's the "good thing" and not the game.

Well, the "go back to your wife or you're a bad person" is certainly the angle Delilah pushes. Of course Delilah is the grossest, shittiest person in the game by far, assuming the bit about her still being in a long time relationship with what's his name and lying about it to "a string of partners" is true. And there isn't any reason to believe it isn't. Still I think it would've been very nice for "my Henry" to stand up for himself a little on the topic. The inability to do so is what leads me to believe the devs see Henry going back to his wife as the right thing to do.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Did you miss the part where all that poo poo about Delilah was made up.

I guess? Even if that specifically is false she does still do some pretty garbage things like lie to the police without consulting you and getting hammered when there could very well be someone trying to kill you.

edit: Actually she does consult you about the police, but then lies to them no matter what you tell her lol

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 2, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Fans posted:

I don't think my wife's family is going to be particularly interested in having me around considering they took her away due to neglect.

Delilah makes bad plans.

Huh, didn't realize that could happen. I chose to put her in a home and apparently her family was in favor of that decision.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Fans posted:

Does Henry get any training at all for his job? I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know what his actual job is when he turns up.

IIRC there's some evidence that he's a generally pretty fit dude? But other than that not really that I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

loga mira posted:

There was the helicopter guy of course, with the ridiculously detailed helicopter.

Park is purgatory. Helicopter man is God. Helicopter isn't a metaphor for anything, but it does take you to heaven.

• Locked thread