Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I like fire. Is this game for me?

Okay, okay. I had already made up my mind ages ago, because the art is real pretty. Pretty art means pretty fire.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

In my mind, Firewatch is the culmination of things expressed on the Idle Thumbs podcast.

I'm eager to see how, if at all, it reflects your discussions about Pikmin, Far Cry 2, grenades, hills and games without combat mechanics. I know for a fact it'll have at least one of those things and none of another.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Everything has lead to this moment.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

loving February is stressing me out with its abundance of cool, fun games.

TheAsterite posted:

There were a couple of technical flaws that took me out of the game as well:

[snip]

Fallout 4 easter egg.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Regarding plot flexibility and stuff like that.

I got through day 2 and had the impression everything was way open ended by the look of the map. When I got the compass, it really rubbed me the wrong way because I'm an idiot who is weird about open world games and barely play them. I can read a map and compass, but I really don't want to do navigation. So I stopped. I blame MMORPGs for making me allergic to open worlds. Why did I buy it in the first place? Because it looks pretty.

Still though, I loved the setting and characters. In the end, I watched someone else play through it. It's not that open ended in hindsight, and I would have stuck with it had I known this. I really enjoyed the game even as an observer. The radio banter was brilliant, Henry kicks rear end, Delilah is delightful, and my only rational complaint is that you don't get to see Delilah. I felt that they deserved to meet at the end.

I will buy and play Firewatch 2 - Watch Harder or whatever else they make next.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 18, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

People defending the ending like to make the tired argument of "oh well there aren't always happy endings in real life." But that is not the issue. The issue is you ostensibly have this main character trying to come to terms with his own guilt and ultimately finding a way to connect to someone new. And those are the best parts of the game! When it's just Henry and Delilah chatting and acting like real people. And then they introduce all this stuff with the mysterious person(s) tailing you and from there every single interaction between the two is "OMG I'm so spooked what's going on?!" and it loses all of the appeal.

And then the ending comes and Henry basically has a giant steaming poo poo taken on him in every way imaginable. Delilah is gone and was probably lying and emotionally manipulating you the entire time. The bad guy just bails and you wonder what the entire ordeal was loving for (I guess he wanted to frame Delilah as some sort of revenge for his son's death?) And Henry ends up going home without having worked through any of his problems and with a whole bunch of new baggage to boot.

It just sucked. The game should have been 2-3 hours longer (or had fewer long sections of walking from one side of the map to the other) to more fully explore the relationship and Henry's experiences.

Oh and I also like that the game is constantly trying to browbeat Henry if he ever implies that he should have an option to move on with his life. The dude is 40 years old and has a wife who will never recognize his face again. Maybe it makes me a bad person but I wouldn't blame the guy for not wanting to be essentially alone the rest of his life.

Sorry for the rant, I figured I'd add something more meaningful than my earlier posts just bitching.

Don't quote me on this, but apparently there's a way to get Delilah back in the Japanese version.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I get that line of reasoning, but the mystery is probably a draw to some people too.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

thatdarnedbob posted:

If you would get irrationally angry at someone using terribly unsafe rock climbing skills in a remote region, be warned. For example, the paths this game has you take have the main character commonly jumping down 9 to 14 feet, sometimes without a path back up in sight, sometimes onto exposed ledges. Though the vistas were beautiful and there's some fun story-through-dialogue that's not the kind you normally get in a video game, the movement had me gritting my teeth at my guy's lackadaisical attitude toward safety.

Henry is what we in technical terms refer to as a bumbling fool.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Speaking of US Old Boy, Josh Brolin could pull off Henry.

On the other hand, this is the role Russell Crowe's beer gut has been preparing for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

I unironically would enjoy that, New Game+ endless fire watcher mode.

Same. I'm okay with what we got, but I'd love a full game's worth of yelling at teens and throwing their stuff into a lake.

Come to think of it, Day 1 in Firewatch captures the feel of a Friday the 13th movie better than the actual Friday the 13th game, and Dead by Daylight. Total conversion mod, anyone?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 28, 2016

• Locked thread