Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

In my mind, Firewatch is the culmination of things expressed on the Idle Thumbs podcast.

I'm eager to see how, if at all, it reflects your discussions about Pikmin, Far Cry 2, grenades, hills and games without combat mechanics. I know for a fact it'll have at least one of those things and none of another.

Are there actually any proper mechanics in the game outside of the dialogue choices and standard adventure game interactions?

Edit: And I don't mean that to be dismissive. Just wondering if it's a game where all your actions within the world are context sensitive rather than systemic.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I just played through it in one sitting. I liked it, there were times where I thought it was legitimately exciting, almost reminding me of a 70s conspiracy thriller or something, but it definitely did not stick the landing. I think it just completely lacked any sort of emotional core - the characters were likeable enough, but I can't say I ever really felt invested beyond "I wanna find out what's going on here", ultimately the whole Ned/Brian reveal fell COMPLETELY flat for me and I did not give a poo poo because it felt like some other c-plot they shoved in at the end in an attempt to tie it all together. I had a strong distrust towards Delilah throughout pretty much the whole thing which in hindsight I don't think was intended.

It's a well-made game in a lot of respects; it's a triumph of art design, and there are a ton of awesome little touches (love the sudden cuts and timeskips), but overall it just didn't come together for me. As far as walking sims go I do think it's one of the better ones just because there is at least an attempt at ambition on a design level, and it was just a very nice place to explore. But I don't think this is something I'm gonna remember particularly strongly 6 months from now.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 10, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Not necessarily.

I got the sense that at least you're supposed to give a poo poo that Delilah gives a poo poo, but at some point it just felt like they were clumsily trying to strongarm an emotion onto the player, it just didn't work for me at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CJacobs posted:

With all of the ways there are to interpret Henry's reaction to the situation and eventually finding out the truth, you chose "they're trying to force me to feel something", huh.

Yes? I'm not sure what you're getting at. I thought it was poorly executed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

And for the record I don't think the game should have had some grand conspiracy plot or twist just for the sake it, because I'm also very sick of games that shoehorn that poo poo in at the very end, but that doesn't mean I found what they did to be very engaging or emotionally involving. They could've gotten there, I certainly felt it near the beginning, but by the end the narrative throughline felt forced and unearned to me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

I enjoyed my four hours But poo poo I haven't played a game that screamed WASTED POTENTIAL more than this one in quite a while.

Yeah, even the dynamic dialogue system I didn't think was all that noteworthy. I tried playing it in a slightly different way from what I've seen in videos and sure enough the dialogue is different, but not meaningfully so, if that makes sense? Like at least what I've seen it doesn't really give much more insight into the characters or anything.

Optimus Subprime posted:

Did anyone else feel that the character study aspect of game being kind of weak? I think the game needed another hour or 2 to flesh out the Henry and Delilah relationship more. I didn't feel like she was my only life line since the game only took about 4 hours and I didn't feel vested in their relationship.

:agreed:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Moldy Taxes posted:

Has anyone gotten the scene in the trailer where Henry arrives at the cut wire and Delilah tells him someone else is in his tower? I've replayed Day 2 like three times to try and get it, but the only thing I have left to try is to try and bum rush the day without talking to Delilah.

That pops up later on.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The whole "games are power fantasies it's so refreshing to see a human story" is fine and all but that was a movement that began in indie games before this game even started development. Obviously it still is extremely far from the norm but by this point I've played dozens of games like that and I don't think this one does much in terms of storytelling to stand out or excel. I appreciate that they try to increase the scope a little bit in terms of world building, but it still wasn't quite enough to really impress outside of the art design.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 10, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

This game looks absolutely fantastic, I've been excited for it ever since it was first announced.

That said, I heard it was 3 - 4 hours. Is that the case? Would I wanna go back and play it a second time? I really really do wanna experience this game, but for £15 it might be a bit steep if it's over that quick.

It was a little over four hours long for me and I can't tell you whether or not you want to replay it, but I personally did not feel particularly satisfied paying full price for it

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: why are practically all of these games set in the 80's?

The devs actually said it was because of the Yellowstone fire that happened just prior to when the game is set. Fire lookouts aren't really a thing these days like they were back then.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The subversion only works if you end up giving a poo poo about the story of Ned and Brian, whereas I felt it was a deviation from everything I considered relevant or interesting about the experience.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Toady posted:

I suppose it depends on why you think it's flat. Some people are mad they didn't find Area 51, but I thought it was fascinating seeing Henry and Delilah act paranoid, how they supported and suspected each other, and how they reacted to the truth. I guess because the game started off so grounded and was clearly being ambiguous about whether or not there really was an experiment, the ending was unsurprising (and sad--stepping over the boy's shriveled corpse, I felt so sorry for him).

The bitching over the price is entitled gamer crap; it's clearly worth its price as an escapist hiking simulator full of hidden details and dialogue choices to explore in subsequent playthroughs. It costs less than a World of Warcraft mount.

That's a helluva strawman you're packing there buddy

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Id be down with spending a summer in one of those towers talking to a presumably dreamy lady over walkie talkie while picking up beer cans and finding turtles. Sign me the gently caress up.

Same. Going several months without seeing any people? Why that just sounds like the perfect goon vacation :cool:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Sure, but the critical difference is that if you have 120,000 subscribers on your youtube channel, you probably should take the 5 seconds to make note of the fact that playing the game live for an audience might have something to do with how you perceived it.

She doesn't have an obligation to do that. It would be nice and polite of her, but it's not really her responsibility to qualify her opinions, she's not press.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cidrick posted:

Firewatch was great y'all.

I enjoyed Monument Valley a lot and thought it was more than worth the money, but I wasn't that happy with Firewatch hey yo what's up

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Funso Banjo posted:

Any one of those things would have made this a good game.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't awful at all. I think it was he best interactive fiction I've enjoyed. But a game it wasn't.

Don't do this, just tell us what you thought was missing instead of denying its existence as a game. Hell I didn't even like it that much and I still think it's a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Please stop trolling by implying that the ending of Ethan Carter wasn't terrible

It is a good companion piece to Firewatch in that "pretends really hard to be a genre story, WHOOP TRICKED U it's just actually very mundane" sort of way

• Locked thread