Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I saw it pop up on my steam discounts emails and was so excited until I rediscovered that it's still a week away. :negative:

Preordering so goddamn hard and pushing to get my current project done by next Tuesday so I can binge an entire playthrough immediately after returning from class.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Today is the slowest class I've had in years because I am extremely excited about Firewatch. Prepurchased it as soon as I realized I could.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I do think it's similar to Gone Home, in that (spoiler for both games) it sets you up for an expectation that's far more interesting than what it actually delivers. It's fine to subvert the player's expectations, but only if what you give the player instead is something more interesting than what they were expecting. Giving them something less interesting just evokes a disappointed "Oh," which is what it did for me.

I think that's only part of it though, and it's nowhere near as bad in Firewatch as it was in Gone Home - I think the other big part, as I said, is that I just don't understand why Ned did any of this. I get it, he's a hermit with PTSD and his son's death hosed him up. Kinda. What the hell is with the complicated science experiment fakeroo? Why would he go through all that trouble faking reports, planting radios, and all that? I feel like none of it received an adequate explanation, the whole thing just... sputters and peters out.

He didn't want anyone finding the body, basically. He probably hoped that even if Henry figured out he was being observed he would take the science thing at its creepy face value and not investigate the cave.

I am fine with the ending and glad I got the game. Might do another playthrough later as rear end in a top hat Henry. Also I never found the turtle :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

An even more subtle joke there is that she was the one who stole the Pork Pond sign. I loving love games that do poo poo like that.

"I know, right? It would look great in the den!

...Or... some other room, I dunno."

Also, I'm curious how many people found the most terrifying creature in the park: the raccoon. It even results in some really goddamn funny Delilah bits.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

I thought the better ending would have been to split the conspiracy stuff and the crazy Dad stuff into two different things. Have a group of psychologists actually be out there studying the effects of isolation, with only communication via Radio, and also have a crazy Dad who's been camping out in the cave trying to steer people away from finding his son's dead body. You could have come upon the researchers and been like "Hey, wtf! Are you studiying us?" and they would have been like "Totally! You agreed to it in your contract. Forest Service wants to make sure that this experience isn't psychologically harmful!"

That would have been much more believable to to me than 'Crazy Dad, breaks into and plants evidence on a deer research facility, on the off chance that you are able to break in and uncover it, only so that he can immediately burn it down afterwards then continue to break into your tower, and attempt to blackmail you into doing something not entirely clear, as he never outright tells you to leave.'

Now, this I'm on board with.

It's actually kinda what I thought the reveal was going to be (and I got Henry to ponder something to that effect in a brief moment of lucidity). You'd probably need to have some of the This poo poo Is Basically Innocent Reveal come through Delilah phoning her supervisors after you go poke around the research site, but that's fine both mechanically and thematically - she's your sole link to the outside world all game anyway.

Yuriki: There is exactly one jump scare. Good luck!

ymgve posted:

(Ending spoiler) As usual for indie games, they go to greath lengths to avoid modeling a human face.

Ending spoiler: That's not entirely true. Watch the entire credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:3:

I do not regret my purchase and am curious what they do next.

• Locked thread