Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I just finished this game thinking that you can make a game using the same general premise (and not the mystery stuff) and have it be much much better. Feels like this could be a better book than a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I do like the plot. I just wish there was more mundane and or interesting poo poo to do in the game, like optional sidequests, you know? I was hooked when I got to throw the stereo into the lake; I wanted more of Henry the firewatch guy, but the teen girls subplot wraps up off screen and that's that.

Also you can do more with the "Henry (maybe) doesn't trust Delilah" idea. In the game you can go "Maybe YOU are in on all of this!" but then Delilah scolds you and that's kind of it. I was hoping for an interesting sequence where you can go on your own way for a bit to make sure she's trustworthy somehow while lying through your teeth about what you are currently doing: "All right. I'm currently at location X *checks map* Man that's a..a steep cliff right there." Then you even have the interesting choice to whether or not come clean and tell her about it in the end.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

loga mira posted:

Another thing I thought could've been done better, and it's also about the characters. When (spoilers, but why are you reading this anyway, play the game first) I got to the lake and the two chraracters there I thought "this is gonna be like those 2D adventure games where you chase after people but never meet them, because they wouldn't have 2D cut-out characters here if they also had proper 3D characters elsewhere." So the "ah they're gone already" moments were predictable, because in the beginning it failed to convince me there was an actual possibility of meeting a person. It's like a movie implying that something terrible can happen that they won't be able to show anyway because of age ratings.

That brings a question: is it the creator's responsibility to think of all the meta nuances of a story? Should they go "hmm, I want to make it seem like this character is in serious danger of losing multiple limbs here, but this scene doesn't really work since the players/viewers/readers know this story is PG"? Does it have to prove that it can render 3D characters just to make sure that you believe one can exist in the game?

I mean, they certainly can do that, and a game like the Stanley Parable is literally just that and pretty much nothing else. Yet I think it can also bloat a story with exposition or "fake-outs" to appease the "smarter" audience.

In the end I go through these experiences to have fun, and I've found that part of my responsibilities is to willfully "forget" about the world outside the story so that I can fully enjoy it.

• Locked thread