Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

Along those lines: time advances with plot beats so exploration will not harm story progress.

Oh this is actually cool and something I didn't pick up on in the previews I watched. I'm gonna get lost in the woods so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think what bothered me is It has no thematic relevance to Henry's story. How a father who neglected safety concerns for his son and getting him killed ties into Henry's inability to deal with his wife doesn't really click with me.

Edit:

Worked for me, maybe their servers are overloaded.

Henry didn't just poorly deal with his wife's illness, he says in the intro he felt that her forgetting him sometimes was related to how long he went between visits...then right after that he says he took the job in the middle of nowhere far from home. He's abandoning his wife because he can't handle watching her suffer. The dad neglected what's best for his son, he neglected what's best for his wife.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
More ending wankery

I agree with the dude saying the banality is the entire point of the ending. There's no grand plot, no conspiracy, no rhyme, no reason, it's just kinda a broken person lashing out at other broken people for things they didn't even know they were doing. You know, like how Henry had to watch his wife fade away and got so hosed up and all that he decided to bail to the woods even though it's not like she had a say in it. In the beginning choice thing I think the thing that most set the tone was the 'your wife gets a job offer, she'd have to move and you don't want to' and your options were either to tell her if she takes it you're not going or tell her to make a huge commute to make it work. There's no 'good guy' option there, there's no 'buck up and go to Yale you little bitch' option, just two lovely ways that are entirely realistically selfish reactions to that stuff. Sometimes stuff just sucks, sometimes people are just lovely because they're selfish, or hurt, or yea a bit nuts. Things aren't fair, or explained, and I know it's lame to defend an ending I agree is kinda weak for the setup with 'well sometimes LIFE isn't clear maaaan' but I really think of all the games to do it for this is a fairly valid one.

• Locked thread