Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not sure why people are having issues with the story or the logic to it. It all makes perfect sense and these people feel like mostly real characters. I felt thr game was great but unless you REALLY love your narrative driven walking simulators wait 'til it's $7-10. Best one of them though!

I think the "games as art" argument is becoming validated. Much like there are a billion indie movies out there (Lost In Translation, that one with Steve Buscimi interviewing an actress, etc.) this is a brief game with little plot that's all about character development and interaction. Unlike those films, this is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The text in your post is a different color.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: why are practically all of these games set in the 80's?

Limitations of knowledge and technology make it easier to focus the narrative and experience. No cell phone with Google to ruin the character not understanding something or to ruin their isolation.

[/bs] :pseudo:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Sucks to hear about the PS4 technical jank. Ran flawless on my PC and it's a solid experience barring one floating object I saw in the distance and some waaaay hosed normals in the cave.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Make sure you play this before you play The Witness, otherwise you'll constantly wonder where the gently caress your shadow is.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It took me 'til the second to last day to realize that Jules' picture wasn't continuously falling over from wonky physics.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I took her to a home and her sister visits every day. Is the home in Australia or Boulder? I missed how she ended up in Australia.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

This is something I think I was trying to bring up in my rant. Ned and Brian are treated as a minor side story. The overall story is portrayed as being Henry and Delilah getting to know each other and then oh no, it seems as if someone is spying on them. Near the end of the game, Ned and Brian go from a couple people that were there a few years ago but then left to a major part of the plot. You go through the cave and then find the fort. All of a sudden Delilah opens up about Brian and you're supposed to care about what happened to him. Then a few minutes later you find his dead body. From here on out, it's all about Ned and Brian. Henry and Delilah's relationship kind of drops to the back burner until at the end she finally says she doesn't want to ever meet you.

I don't know if you're arguing that as a bad thing or not but I don't see it as one. It's a realistic approach. Those two don't mean ANYTHING to you, just Delilah. When they finally jump into view it's supposed to be a sudden shock that overtakes everything because that's what they do. They meant a lot to her so she focuses on them. They mean next to nothing to you until you OHMYGOD find Brian's body and discover it was Ned loving with you. Then at the end when they both realize they really don't belong there since they're running away from their problems AND she's shaken up about someone who meant something to her being dead it's an obvious conclusion that both of you need to go home and take a breather and sort yourselves out.

Macaluso posted:

Well only one part of the game. Specifically the part of it that is like the end of a scooby doo episode.

edit: I've read Harry Potter, The Shining and one of the books Tim Allen wrote so I know a thing or two about storytelling

Then you probably know also about how the universe works on a level most of us cannot comprehend.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

What's wrong with you?

He's running away from his problems.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm under the impression that there aren't any big differences, just different lines of dialog.

I'm still not certain why people are saying nothing makes sense. It felt like all the characters were doing what they would actually do and none of them are 100% mentally sound. Henry's probably the most capable person in the story and he's still somewhat not-okay. Everything else made sense to me and fit together properly without any leaps in logic or plot holes.

I can mildly understand the idea of the ending being disappointing in the whole, "Well this is over I guess," sense but as far as the other complaints I see no issue with how it ended.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was told once to always magically put "In my opinion" in front of most things like this. It's made the internet a lot more bearable.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

The Grimace posted:

imo Henry is a cool guy I'd share a drink with, probably Delilah too

Delilah doesn't seem like the type to share a drink. :rimshot:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even as someone who very much enjoyed Firewatch I have a hard time saying $20 is a great price. $10 is probably the best price.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I would not pay $20 for a Blu-ray either.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not dialogue (that I'm aware of) but context clues.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is this a thing with which you're familiar or just a fan of? In my extremely limited exposure to such things I don't know of any books or movies that do wildfires either. Seems like a neat subject.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Nope. The game felt FAR too grounded for any of that.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

I liked the part where you exit the cave and get the gun, right after AREA 51 and you get to shoot the aliens with the gun.

This game was good though well see ya.

That segment might as well have been on rails.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well it IS a government job after all...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does this extend to the PC release? Will I notice it without a new monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I still loving love that soundtrack cover.

• Locked thread