Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I don't have a console or computer that can play this, and probably won't anytime soon. Am I getting more or less the same experience just by watching a Let's Play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

PTizzle posted:

I feel like you'd lose out on a fair bit in terms of not making choices and having exploration limited by what the LPer chooses to do but you'll get the majority of the experience, at least story and dialogue wise. If you're just keen on seeing what happens I'd say go for it if there's no way for you to play it yourself in the foreseeable future.

I will say that a lot of enjoyment personally did come from being able to soak up the atmosphere which you'd probably miss out on in an LP.

Well, it turns out my crummy laptop (Which is admirably held together by duct-tape in an effort destined to fail) can actually run Firewatch. It doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly as I'd like it to...but it does work. I'm looking forward to discussing this game with y'all after I'm done with the game now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I've finished this. Pretty good game overall, and I thought the ending was pretty good. So, sooo glad they didn't abandon everything the game was about to go for the dumb conspiracy route.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Firewatch pretty consistently focuses on the human elements, just not in a way I think people expected. The game is mostly about how people rationalize their escapism from reality. The same thinking that causes Henry to abandon his dying wife for "adventure" in the forest is the same thinking that causes him to jump to paranoid, illogical conclusions about a conspiracy. He WANTS there to be a conspiracy, in the same way people want 9/11 or school shootings to be an inside job by the government because that gives them more comfort thinking there's a "plan" instead of random acts of chaos or whatever. It's more comforting for some to think there's this vast conspiracy against you to blame for your problems than to admit any fault that you yourself may be responsible for.

This only causes distractions from real issues- the dying wife, Brian's death, the forest fires etc.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 11, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Henry and Delilah didn't invent or warp anything to come to that conclusion

Some interesting points, Hyper Crab Tank.

What they warped was their interpretation of the science camp. Yes, Ned was clearly trying to gently caress with them, and Henry and Delilah easily falling into his crap is kind of my point.

The transcribed conversations is a kind of scare tactic, but that's no more a large scale conspiracy than the teenagers ransacking Henry's station. What Henry and Delilah do is think the situation is larger than just one dude, and that may be where my comparison to "real" conspiracy theory crap falls apart.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 11, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Toady posted:

There are obvious signs throughout that there was no behavioral experiment targeting just them and that it was merely someone messing with them. They were rationalizing their paranoia and connecting the dots between coincidences. They even start questioning each other as being part of the conspiracy. And then it turns out to be the simplest, most obvious explanation--a nut in the forest overhearing their radios (a nut they knew had gone missing, had PTSD, and was into ham radios). In reality, they're just lonely alcoholics isolated in the forest for three months inventing a greater meaning for everything.

Yeah, exactly. This puts it in a clearer way than I was able to quite get at.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked Firewatch a lot but it's got nothing on Lost in Translation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gone Home has some of the same basic ideas as Firewatch, but it doesn't do them nearly as well as Firewatch does imo.

The main plot is also a bit weak albeit well-intentioned. Some of the subplots are kind of neat though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Limitations of knowledge and technology make it easier to focus the narrative and experience. No cell phone with Google to ruin the character not understanding something or to ruin their isolation.

[/bs] :pseudo:

The best of these recent indie games to mess around with the limitations of technology was Digital: A Love Story. I thought that one was really clever.

Cowman posted:

Did anyone else throw the stereo in the lake? I did and the reactions made me laugh.

No but I did take their alcohol.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This reminds me, what do the teens say in their note if you don't break or steal the stereo and don't take their alcohol?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I agree with Steve2911, though that being said a an actual LOST game by these people would be super cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Star Man posted:

As someone born and raised in Wyoming and whose sister used to work in Yellowstone, should I purchase this game?
It depends more on the kind of games you like more than anything, I think. If you're into the type of low key game something like Gone Home is, you'll probably like this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Totally wasn't expecting this. Sounds cool!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I was going to say Robin Williams but then I remembered. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spent a few days to replay this on the PS4, collecting all of the tapes I could for the Audio Tour. It was a pretty bold idea, though a bit frustrating at times (Such as with the tape that is on a completely missable day that is only available on that day). It was an interesting idea for a commentary like this though and I'm glad it was tried out.

In replaying the game I had found an area I had never actually seen before- Ned's actual bunker. Somehow I had completely missed the hatch to the underground portion. I thought his "big hideout" had just been that pile of trash and the chair or whatever that's there, haha. It was a cool feeling, finding something new in an area I thought I knew most of the details of already.

Anyways, has anyone else tried the Audio Tour? Also, what about the freeroam mode we heard about a few months ago? Whatever happened to that?

ja2ke posted:

Ah yeah you found the one secret track - kiosk 13 on day 79.
Secret kiosk????!!!!????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So the Freeroam Mode is now available!

And uh, something was found within in the new update. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread