Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm getting a bit of stuttering on PC, but I don't think I've rebooted my computer and Firefox is eating 2GB of RAM or some garbage.

I couldn't make it past the opening sequence before having to alt-tab out and tell a friend "HOLY poo poo THIS loving GAME". Now all I have to do is to get off my rear end and get my Firewatch poster framed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't find the turtle

I think that the PS4 and Steam cheevos are a bit different, but apparently Brandon Boyer only hit 1 of them on his playthrough on PS4 whereas I got all of them on Steam.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
An important thing to remember is that Delilah might not be a reliable narrator. The first interaction you have with her is her poking at you and trying to see what's up.

I played through it once when it unlocked, and I just did a "speedrun" (meta-spoiler)where I didn't respond on the radio unless if it was a specifically gated event. If you play this as a video game rear end video game, it's going to come off as incredibly shallow. If you buy into what the game is trying to do at all in the smallest bit possible, it completely works. It operates on degrees of how invested you are in the various storylines, and it only falls flat if you do the 0 option run like I did.

Since I did play it twice, I messed with the various options you have in the beginning, and it's completely brilliant. I messaged an old TF2 buddy since I saw that he was in game, too, and he compared it to Up, and I couldn't agree more.

Those Idle Thumbs boys and girls did a great job. I'm completely happy with the experience.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's one actual jump scare.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I personally feel that there is no True Reliable Narrator in this game, even as you as Henry. I don't think Ned is some crazy loose cannon, but instead is selfish and doesn't do what's best for him or Brian. Delilah swings back and forth between being a reliable narrator and not, which I feel is fair and definitely is in line with her character as a whole. As Henry, you have the option to withhold or tell half-truths throughout the game, thereby making Henry an unreliable narrator towards Delilah.

A lot of the Ned/Brian story arc hinges on attributing malice towards negligence. I'm not going to rush to defend Ned not being a lovely parent, but I don't see it as Ned actively murdering his son. His coping mechanisms are broken and he opts to live as a hermit in the woods for his escapism. He's ultimately responsible for what happened and it definitely doesn't excuse his behavior overall; it just explains it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Funky Valentine posted:

So one of the books is named THE PATRIOTS by Donald Anderson. Subtle.

Another is TERMINAL 7 by Nels Andersen. https://www.idlethumbs.net/terminal7

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Probably one of my favorite off-the-beaten-path story beats is if you take all of the supplies, you get a scene the next day where Delilah's like "you took all of the supplies, didn't you?" and then your counter is just filled to the brim with peanut butter (Bif!), jam, and baked beans cans for the rest of the game.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KoldPT posted:

It's just her talking to someone else and meant to lead the player into getting paranoid. Pretty great.

Yeah, she gets pissed off at you and refuses to talk to you for a little while if you decide to be super insecure. She was just talking to another lookout or something.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I believe they said it would be around 5-6 hours without exploration.
I completed it in 3, even after getting lost several times and leaving it open while I ate dinner, and leaving it on walking speed a lot because I was admiring the world.
It's quite a short game.

A lot of people believe a lot of things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

In fact I purport that everything I said was in fact right. :smug:

The ending was bad, they took a risk career and money wise and had to share a microwave (as happens pretty much every time a new business starts), and it seems to be paying off well for them sales-wise at #2 on Steam, but their game is a lot shorter than they advertised and there's a lot of people who don't like it and don't feel it's worth the money.

I personally don't think the game is worth twenty dollars, but it might be worth ten. It's a lovely game, but it has problems.

You left out the bit of the OP being a little shithead

quote:

So this game was 18$. I purchased it because i enjoyed games like this. And I enjoyed this game. Alot. Like, way more than a healthy amount. But it was 2-3 hours. I feel like there could of been more, and im thinking of refunding. But here is my problem: I loved this game. It was a unique game with awesome narration and storytelling. I like the developers. I mean seriously, have you seen how active they are on theese forums? What other dev is that connected to their community? I want to support the developers, but there was so much more i could of got with my 18$. Should i refund, or hold on to it?

quote:

Well, thats the thing. I liked it. I LOVED it. But there were other things i could of spent 18 - 20$ on that would of provided alot more gameplay. I'm really torn here.

quote:

I specificially said that i like and support the developers, and they should have money. It's just that i could of used my 18$ to get something much longer. Where the hell did i say they don't deserve the money?

quote:

quote:

Because you are having to ask whether or not to get a refund after completing the game that you enjoyed.
How in the name of god does that translate to "lel the devs dont deserve the moni xdddd" I'm saying i might want to refund it due to getting soemthing much longer with my 18$.

Hey guys, I just want to have my cake and eat it, too. Whoa, why are you guys acting like I said I liked cake. I don't understand where you drew that comparison.

Note: this dude said he decided to keep the game, but only after Jane posted.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hakkesshu posted:

That's a helluva strawman you're packing there buddy

There was a link to a steamcommunity thread about someone hemming and hawing over getting a refund inside a SA Game's thread where people have said "beat it, got a refund, jokes on u".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So "I didn't read a thing" = "Game has gaping plot holes"

There's also a dialogue option where Delilah looks through her notes and brings up that she has documentation on the Wapati Station. There's also a fun optional thing with the wave receiver and finding an elk.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I would absolutely love to see statistics about how many pictures of a dead kid there are across all of the firewatch.camera uploads; it has to be at least 50%.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've been trying to be patient while reading the thread, but it seems more and more likely that the answer is that a lot of people have very little experience outside of typical movie and videogame stories/narrative and expect everything to be neat and tidy, perfectly explained and to have exciting resolution to everything.

What about Firewatch 2? Obviously the devs didn't think about turning this into a blockbuster franchise.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Seluin posted:

Just finished the game, and I absolutely loved it. Although I've definitely got some unresolved feelings.

Dave & Ron thought - am I alone in interpreting Dave as gay? It could also be that I've been in friendships like that...

Did you find all 6 notes? In the last note, there is some stuff... including Chris Remo singing Ol' Shoshone.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of rails, that mine cart segment was super weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ja2ke posted:

Lazy devs :(

Did you get to fill out your bingo sheet or is "Lazy Devs" the free spot? :v:

• Locked thread