Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I didn't know there was a full thread for this game, so I'll just crosspost what I posted in the steam thread:

So I finished Firewatch. It was on okay little game. I was totally sold on it throughout the whole thing, similar to Ethan Carter, until of course, the very end.

While the ending didn't end up letting me down in the sense that it wasn't a dream or all in his head or anything thankfully, the ending still ended up being disappointing. The resolution to the main mystery just kind of ended up being really boring. And then the game just kind of... ends? The whole thing with Julia is ultimately left unresolved. Anything with Delilah is left unresolved, as she just peaces out. Also I was annoyed that Delilah was SO dead set on calling the dad a murderer, when it seemed to me based on evidence that he wasn't, and I didn't like how the game just kind of assumed our story to the cops was going to be "Yeah he totally murdered his kid". Because I chose the "no he wasn't a murderer" option each time! I thought the dialogue between Delilah and Henry was done pretty well though.

edit: The complaint about the main mystery's resolution being boring is less a problem with the game itself and more just me really wanting something more fantastical

Also I dunno if it was just me, but I would randomly just get HORRIBLE frame drops. Really low FPS sometimes, other times the game would straight up freeze for like 30 seconds. It happened numerous times. My computer is more than capable of handling this game. They also seemed so dead set on not allowing you to explore too hard, that I found my character getting stuck in invisible walls, and there was one point where I went behind a little shack and I guess made one wrong step and ended up stuck inside a tree and had to wiggle my way out of. There were several things about this game that made it seem like it got rushed out the door. Oh and it was also funny the lengths the game went to to never have a human model with his face showing :v:

Another weird bug I'm now remembering is after you get the new walkie talkie and go back to your tower, if you click on the tree poster, the dialogue acts like you are still using your old walkie talkie.

I really enjoy this type of game, but man they always stumble with the ending. I hope they make a game like this one day that properly nails it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bottled Water posted:

My whole question is a spoiler, so...

Early on, I think it's when you're walking to check on the broken communication cable, you're talking to Delilah on the radio and she interrupts you for a second to have what sounds like a conversation with another person and it sounds a little bit like they're talking about you but don't realise you can hear. You can either say nothing or ask about her conversation. I said nothing, but what happens if you mention it to her?

She gets huffy about it being none of your business then angrily stops talking to you for a bit. She turns off her walkie talkie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Slanderer posted:

Just like Firewatch never advertised itself a conspiracy thriller

I don't necessarily agree with that. The big reveal trailer at E3 showed all this mundane hiking around while talking to a faceless woman on a walkie talkie, and then ends with a shot of a watch tower, and the girl on the walkie talkie going "if that's not you in your tower... then who is??" and then the trailer ends. It certainly gives this mystery thriller vibe to the game. Doesn't hint at a conspiracy I guess, but the actual end result being nothing more than Old Man Jenkins & The Lake Teens was super disappointing after that trailer. In the end they didn't really advertise the game to be anything, they barely advertised it at all. Everyone is gonna take away a different hope for the game

But like I said I'm someone who doesn't want the mystery to be so grounded and realistic. I get plenty of that in real life.

aborn posted:

Just finished and really liked it. I'm really surprised so many of you didn't enjoy the ending.

Also, Polygon's review includes this little nugget:

What in the gently caress is this guy talking about?

Polygon is bad, surprise surprise

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

For as much as I'll bitch about the ending and the mystery sucking (and they do), the dialogue between Henry and Delilah is fantastic. I'm watching Jesse Cox play through the game right now, and the part where Henry is like "There are *whispers* two naked ladies" and Delilah whispers back "Can you handle that?" is a really funny cute little moment between them. And it always sounds pretty natural. I gotta give big props to the writing for Henry and Delilah at the very least.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

You can bring the boombox with you all the way back to your tower from the lake :psyduck:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well not all of it. The part about the game's ending being bad is right

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think NESguerilla made a good point as to why I didn't like the ending, beyond it just being so mundane. If Ned and his son had been a thing that was constantly being brought up from the beginning instead of a snippit here and there, I'd probably have been way more invested in it. But instead that mostly all happens later and by that point they're kind of rushing you through it and you aren't really given enough time to process who Ned is and who his son is, and the body being found in the cave doesn't end up being nearly as "oh my god..." as it should be. So on top of not liking the Henry and Delilah stuff at the end, the Ned stuff just ends up feeling like "uh okay?" cause we're given really no time to care about Ned and his son. It would've been better to get us better invested in that story.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

xf86enodev posted:

There are posts itt comparing the game with the Scooby-Doo show :rolleyes:

Well only one part of the game. Specifically the part of it that is like the end of a scooby doo episode.

edit: I've read Harry Potter, The Shining and one of the books Tim Allen wrote so I know a thing or two about storytelling

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 14, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

It's a bad ending. Give me the option to set a trap for Ned, and then I'll hold him with one arm above the hole in the cave where Bryan fell, and then Delilah will say "DO IT IDIOT" and you get a prompt where you can throw Ned down the hole or not. You can drop him down to join his son in the cave tomb, or you can redeem Ned and then he will go to Australia and marry Julia.

This sounds great, let me have that

But do all this while maintaining the game's thing where you don't see anyone else's face at any point

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Toady posted:

That's not an accurate description of what happens at all.

Yeah it's more like

"so i don't think he intentionally killed his-"
"wow that's crazy. What a murdering rear end in a top hat"
"er-"
"that murderer is going straight to jail when i'm through with him. straight to the electric chair"
"wait but these pictures and stuff i found in his hideou-"
"he's going to rot in hell, the murderer"

*later*

"so our story to the cops is that he's a murderer, call you later"
"yes absolutely"

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 14, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Yes, she liked the kid and had legit reasons to dislike Ned over what happened. She outright says 'he may not have killed him, but forcing him to get into climbing directly caused his death'. Why is that a problem, narratively?

Because she treated him like a murderer when he wasn't. I didn't like that she was so adamant about it despite it being obvious to me, the person literally in the dude's hideout looking at the evidence, that he loved his son and the death was an accident. I don't care if it "directly caused his death" and if Delilah didn't like Ned. I'm telling Delilah, as the dude in the middle of the drat fire in Ned's secret hideout looking at his poo poo that he didn't kill his son. I wasn't really given an option to press the matter and be like "loving LISTEN TO ME" And I didn't like that the game didn't give me an option at the end to say "uh wait no" when Delilah "confirms our story" about him for when we report to the cops. Henry just agrees to it and I'm sitting there like "??? okay then"

Like I could understand the dialogue going this way if I ignored going to his hideout

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Sure, but the critical difference is that if you have 120,000 subscribers on your youtube channel, you probably should take the 5 seconds to make note of the fact that playing the game live for an audience might have something to do with how you perceived it.

Why... why does this matter? :confused: Who cares?

This is like when I see people get mad at Game Grumps when Arin is bad at a game, but blames the game instead of himself. Is the game a personal family member? Or like are you personal friends with all the thousands of people watching?

Also her complaints are perfectly valid

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CJacobs posted:

What do you mean, 'who cares'? Obviously I care or I wouldn't have posted about it. What I'm saying is, there's a difference between "I don't like the game" and "the game is bad" and to correlate the two in front of lots of people who are looking to you for an impression on the game is bad.

She is literally saying the same thing. It sounds like you just want her to say "in my opinion this game is bad" instead of saying "this game is bad" even though she's obviously giving her opinion. This is another weird criticism I see against youtubers that I don't understand.

quote:

It matters because people who see her say the game is bad will also think the game is bad and then not look into it themselves to form their own opinion- the reason I care about that is because I like Firewatch and want people to look at Firewatch even if they find out they also don't like it after they look at it.

And again, who cares? The people that will go "well she thinks it's bad, so I think it's also bad so I won't play it" wouldn't have given it a fair shot in the first place. Unless you're friends with a person who watches her in which case I'm sure you can convince your friend to play it :)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

Just finished playing it this evening, but I already need to go back and play it again. Never found the turtle, and then there's this!

https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/699458403861557248

Is the turtle random? I never found it, and I've seen other people say the same. But I've seen videos of people finding it and that poo poo is right out there in the open

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Toady posted:

Pricing expectations in gaming are a bit screwed up. $20 is the price of a digital or Blu-Ray film, and this lasts longer than most movies.

Movies are also too expensive V:shobon:V

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Please stop trolling by implying that the ending of Ethan Carter wasn't terrible

Edit: Alan Wake is loving great except the combat sucks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Fedule posted:

To say that Ethan Carter's ending is "it was all a dream" is, while not factually incorrect, still an extremely shallow interpretation. That fact does not nullify the events of the game (such as they are) but recontextualises it. The story is not that some ancient evil got loose and then killed this guy and then killed that guy and then killed that guy, the story is that Ethan's imagination got him so ruthlessly bullied that when trapped in a burning basement and faced with his imminent death, his second to last act of consciousness was to fantasise an ancient evil slaughtering his entire family before being stopped by Ethan and Ed at the cost of their own lives (for an idea of how much Ethan loved Ed, see how he imagined Ed's death in contrast to the others'), and his final act of consciousness was to invent a complete outsider whose sole purpose was to discover all this and then have one shred of sympathy for Ethan.

Yeah, it's better to say "it was all a dead kid's dream". The ending sucked.

I was totally about being this dude who had this like ghostly super power to solve a mystery in this gorgeous empty town. And the ending comes and just completely deflated that feeling. At least Firewatch, despite the ending being boring, didn't end with "it was all a dream"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Fedule posted:

Do you earnestly believe that the fact that the story of Paul Prospero isn't literally true in the canon of this video game completely robs that story of all meaning? Do you not think that the knowledge that that story is fantasised by a dying child adds meaning to it that was not there otherwise?

I don't mean to argue, but ask.

It does for me, yes. Obviously it's gonna be different for everyone, but for me I don't find the "it was all a dream" or "it was all inside someone's head" or "they were dead the whole time" an interesting or satisfying ending. Lost didn't have a satisfying ending for a lot of people but to me if the ending had actually been "the island is purgatory and they were dead the whole time" I would've been so annoyed. The ending is a big part of a story and if a game doesn't nail it, it makes the story as a whole less interesting to me.

Murdered: Soul Suspect for instance had some gameplay problems, and the ending was kind of weak, but it had a similar "ghost detective" idea and it was all "real" so the ending wasn't as big of a let down to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

loga mira posted:

I thought characters being wonky kinda whimsical cartoons was a terrible choice for this game, considering its tone. Maybe it's because this flat colorful environment style is so overused that I didn't expect it to deviate from the norm so much in one specific area. It doesn't show you many people throughout the game, so at one point the guy mentions seeing a photo of another character and I got confused for a moment, because all I could see was a dumb cartoon with a huge nose and Disney eyes. Everything else is rendered with realistic proportions or only slightly exaggerated. In the end I just decided to ignore the drawings and imagine the characters as real people.

:confused: The art all looked completely consistent to me, even when we see the pictures at the end and the drawing of Henry at the beginning. Nothing was out of place with anything else in the game, besides the pictures being drawings instead of 3D models

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Talorat posted:

The premise of firewatch is really really good so if they get the execution a little better in the movie it could be really great I think.

Maybe the movie version can have the mystery turn out interesting this time :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alain Post posted:

Agreed. This game was rear end! Whole thing should have been like the first day where you yell at teenagers

That part was one of the highlights of the game for me. I of course threw the radio into the lake to teach those punk kids a lesson. You can apparently bring the radio with you the entire way back to your tower on that day but once the day rolls over the radio disappears sadly.

I wish the ending didn't end up being such a letdown for me cause man did I love the rest of the game. I just didn't want a more grounded answer to the mystery.

The two voice actors not getting some kind of voice acting awards for this game is a travesty though

• Locked thread