Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I can't remember the last time I pre-ordered a game, but I loved reading all the Quarterly Reviews when those came out so if the game's strength is in its writing I'm definitely throwing down for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

MrBond posted:

Anyone have any opinion on how well this runs on a Mac?

I'm on Mac. The game won't start if I have an HDMI cable plugged in, and when it does start, I have to mouse half a page below the menu items to select any of them.

I'm downloading it on my PC as we speak.

Edit: runs better on my Windows machine already, but I'm going to try the Mac again later

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 9, 2016

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Just finished it, and I'm totally satisfied with the :20bux: I spent on it. Beautiful art direction, incredible atmosphere the whole time, the characters and dialogue were always very natural and believable because of great writing, and while there were some technical issues (a couple crashes, and anytime I used my notes page at all the whole game turned into a slide-show) they were all pretty much solved by restarting the game.

As for the ending, I liked it, I thought it was exactly the ending the game needed. Satisfying because it's unsatisfying because it's not some grand conspiracy. I was actually caught off guard by the body because of all the conspiracy stuff going on, that moment was really well done. My only issue with the ending was that the pacing dragged on too long after that. Not so much that it ruined the game, but I was way more affected by Brian's body than Ned's explanation and hideout. I feel like if the tape had been something you found shortly after finding the body and played on your way to Delilah's tower, it would have maintained a bit more intensity for the climax of the story and the last conversation before the chopper would have been a nice breather in contrast, rather than a slow conversation after a quiet walk through the smoke.

That said, I'm still happy with the ending. Can't wait for the next Campo Santo game!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

NaDy posted:

Plus the watchtowers themselves were great locations and felt believably lived in. I could really see myself spending some time in one of them.

That reminds me--I haven't gone camping in a Ranger station in years, but this game nailed the peacefulness at those mountain peaks so well I requested a week off work this summer to go up to a tower. Great design work in this game.

• Locked thread