Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

it says a lot about the average moron who plays darkfall that extremely small zones where everything is obsolete 2 weeks into launch where you *gasp* can't kill new characters offends them

fondest memory of the reboot: getting $400 for my character

As stated earlier in this thread, I'm sick of this "sandbox MMO means being able to be an rear end in a top hat in the biggest ways imaginable".

I don't want to play a game that consists of trolls trolling trolls until one of them quits. It's loving dumb and it's unsustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Alexander DeLarge posted:

As stated earlier in this thread, I'm sick of this "sandbox MMO means being able to be an rear end in a top hat in the biggest ways imaginable".

I don't want to play a game that consists of trolls trolling trolls until one of them quits. It's loving dumb and it's unsustainable.

Yeah that's why Darkfall has died about a month after launch, twice. It's not problems with the game, but the entire concept. People do NOT want to play a game like this.

It can provide some awesome moments, but it also drives away 99% of the potential playerbase. So you don't get any moments!

Wanting to make it more "hardcore" is going to result in the 3rd iteration of Darkfall with 15 players online.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah that's why Darkfall has died about a month after launch, twice. It's not problems with the game, but the entire concept. People do NOT want to play a game like this.

It can provide some awesome moments, but it also drives away 99% of the potential playerbase. So you don't get any moments!

Wanting to make it more "hardcore" is going to result in the 3rd iteration of Darkfall with 15 players online.

There's definitely ways to make a sandbox experience with PVP, but there needs to be reason behind it other than "I want that guys gear" or "I want to make him angry".

SWG's bounty hunter system is a fantastic example, same goes for all of EVE and ArcheAge's trade pack system is awesome too being held back by the rest of the mediocre mechanics.

Unfortunately it seems like uttering the word sandbox and referencing UO and Galaxies is a guaranteed way to get people hyped for any MMO. Maybe Black Desert was truly different in CBT1 but from what I played, it was as much of a sandbox as modern World of Warcraft.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Oh yeah there's plenty of different types of sandboxes, but Darkfall's interpretation is on the far far extreme end. I didn't mean sandboxes in general are flawed

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

THE PWNER posted:

The game was pretty fun to play, I never was able to leave the protected noob zone. Pretend you are playing rust except noobs only spawn in these select areas that everyone knows about. Now you and your team surround this area to make some kind of deathcamp. You are now playing darkfall.

There are no vendors so you die and drop everything you have because they picked the class with a bow. So like rust without houses.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Have any of you guys played Mortal Online? It's a first person MMO kinda like what you guys have been describing. The coolest aspect of it for me is that the game world is largely undocumented and huge so finding things can actually happen. Unfortunately the combat was a bit janky for my tastes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

You could have multiple characters on your account. I was leveling my taming in the ice land area on polar bears, I teleported to town and had them attack everyone in my guild. You could freely attack guild members in UO in town.

That came later. Up till about that botched 3d release you could have one character per shard, per account.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Have any of you guys played Mortal Online? It's a first person MMO kinda like what you guys have been describing. The coolest aspect of it for me is that the game world is largely undocumented and huge so finding things can actually happen. Unfortunately the combat was a bit janky for my tastes.

I'd like to see a sequel/successor. Same mechanics, just better implementation, and more importantly a better business model.

Remember, MO was basically the first MMO to have action/first person combat model in a time where the combat was optimized for a different time and different hardware

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 27, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Darkfall came before MO, dingus.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Deki posted:

And Endless Ages came before both, but no one ever remembers that game(because it was terrible).

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Deki posted:

but did Darkfall really have a true melee combat model? I can't remember if it was M&B-like or not. Suppose I should have elaborated, but it's definitely not great for MMOs logistically.

Orv
May 4, 2011

but did Darkfall really have a true melee combat model? I can't remember if it was M&B-like or not. Suppose I should have elaborated, but it's definitely not great for MMOs logistically.

Pffft no. The combat was poo poo on all fronts, melee was just click to swing.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Orv posted:

Pffft no. The combat was poo poo on all fronts, melee was just click to swing.

lol yeah, I was always like "what???" when the Darkfall fanbase would talk about how much skill the combat took. On the release of the reboot, it was "Archers kill everyone because you can't hit them, warriors kill everyone else by running at them and mashing mouse1."

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I have no idea what "true melee" means because Mortal online has never not played/looked like a potato to me.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Deki posted:

I have no idea what "true melee" means because Mortal online has never not played/looked like a potato to me.

When I say true melee, I'm talking about physics based combat that is more than just an attack animation you can press multiple times to swing left/swing right. Think of something like Chivalry/M&B versus the Half Life crowbar or Elder Scrolls Online's system.

I don't know, maybe Gloria Victis was the first MMO to do it, either way, the game people dreamed up while hyping up Mortal Online is achievable now. Then again, Gloria Victis pretty much is that game.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

When I say true melee, I'm talking about physics based combat that is more than just an attack animation you can press multiple times to swing left/swing right. Think of something like Chivalry/M&B versus the Half Life crowbar or Elder Scrolls Online's system.

I don't know, maybe Gloria Victis was the first MMO to do it, either way, the game people dreamed up while hyping up Mortal Online is achievable now. Then again, Gloria Victis pretty much is that game.

The game isn't achievable except on LAN.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I just can't see the relaunches being a success. Darkfall 1 was fun because I got to gently caress around with goons and lovable Swedish psychos, not because the game was some well balanced masterpiece.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

The game isn't achievable except on LAN.

Gloria Victis.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah and I hate it. The fps combat is laggy as hell and feels like playing Arma2 with even more mouse lag.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
In darkfall rerelease news, the community is already eating itself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/3r1gmz/why_i_am_not_supporting_darkfall_rise_of_agon/

kibato posted:

Yeah and I hate it. The fps combat is laggy as hell and feels like playing Arma2 with even more mouse lag.

Ssme. I've tried 3 times to give the game a fair shake and it's just not fun for me.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Deki posted:

In darkfall rerelease news, the community is already eating itself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/3r1gmz/why_i_am_not_supporting_darkfall_rise_of_agon/

Ssme. I've tried 3 times to give the game a fair shake and it's just not fun for me.

This is some serious drama for a group of glorified modders.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
dorkfall

EDIT: dorkfail

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

This is some serious drama for a group of glorified modders.

Nothing will ever get done with the darkfall remakes because the second you make even the tinest change to the game, the community is going to whine and bitch up a storm. Darkfall 1 failed because it pissed off everyone who wasn't a raging pvp addict. Those same addicts don't realize that catering only to them is just going to result in another lovely game that folds in a few months. Archeage is probably the most recent example of this..

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Deki posted:

Nothing will ever get done with the darkfall remakes because the second you make even the tinest change to the game, the community is going to whine and bitch up a storm. Darkfall 1 failed because it pissed off everyone who wasn't a raging pvp addict. Those same addicts don't realize that catering only to them is just going to result in another lovely game that folds in a few months. Archeage is probably the most recent example of this..

Archeage's problems were item rng/ptw and hacking. Otherwise, pvp in mmo's is rubbish except for the likes of eve (which aren't twitch or gear dependent in any meaningful way (I think it's rubbish game play but whatever)) and really why aren't those pvp addicts just playing shooters or lol.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Farg posted:

dorkfall

EDIT: dorkfail

The Fall of the House of Dork

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deki posted:

Unholy wars was kinda fun but the moment you left the noobie area you got shot in the face by the guys just sitting there and waiting. Only played for part of that first free month.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tenzarin posted:

Unholy wars was kinda fun but the moment you left the noobie area you got shot in the face by the guys just sitting there and waiting. Only played for part of that first free month.

I had a pretty decent time surviving out in the open world most of the time. My major problem with Unholy wars was the fact that it was way too easy for the major alliances to sit in on literally every siege ever and you couldn't hold a city/village without being allied to or paying money to the big alliances.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://massivelyop.com/2015/11/07/n...campaign=buffer

It's loving happening? I thought this was a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WbGjCQ5uE

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Burn. It. With. Fire.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Absurd Revolver posted:

And Endless Ages came before both, but no one ever remembers that game(because it was terrible).

And Meridian 59 came before every other MMO, but no one remembers that game (because it was 1996 and we had better things to do, like listen to Duncan Sheik at every retail store).

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
The title of this thread had me severely disappointed. I thought this was going to be an MMO for "A Reckless Disregard for Gravity". That it's about some people wanting to keep Darkfall around is even more disappointing.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Riftling posted:

you didn't have people endlessly camping newbie areas murdering everyone in sight 24/7.

Well... there were people murdering newbies 24/7 on Darktide. I think Darktide initially worked because the server organically separated into player killer and anti-player killer factions. So at least there were groups of people running around protecting newbies. It was great for the game that the players did that.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

PsycheNotFound posted:

The title of this thread had me severely disappointed. I thought this was going to be an MMO for "A Reckless Disregard for Gravity". That it's about some people wanting to keep Darkfall around is even more disappointing.

I just got the visual of thousands of people falling down a hole over and over again in my head with "WTB +15 parachute" flooding chat.

I'd be more willing to play that than Darkfall again.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I wonder how many times these open pvp games need to fail until people finally get the message.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'd be okay with one actually succeeding. I like the genre despite not being amazingly good at them.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Puistokemisti posted:

I wonder how many times these open pvp games need to fail until people finally get the message.

Much like libertarianism, extreme leftist social movements and your parent's hopes for your future, it cannot fail, it can only be failed

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
seems like df is really going to die soon. The last programmer (https://www.reddit.com/user/axilmar) left the team:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/3qdh22/so_i_heard_dfuw_development_will_be_frozen_for/cx65uw6?context=3
https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/3tbxkb/icy_wave_confirms_dfo_licensing/cx65z5g?context=3
https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/3tbxkb/icy_wave_confirms_dfo_licensing/cx6orn1?context=3

Seems like AV is the worst company in the world to work for. I really hope we get df1 back, I need some kind of nostalgia injection.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

kibato posted:

Seems like AV is the worst company in the world to work for.

Actually it sounds like pretty much any office job ever.

Not to defend this poo poo game or anything, just in an industry full of shitheels like Rockstar (who have been known to literally physically strike their employees) or managerial trainwrecks like Carbine (Wildstar), I expected more than a generic workaholic's characteristic sob story.

boho fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 24, 2015

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

quote:

It's simple, the game currently has around 2000 subscriptions, and around 500-700 players, many of them owning multiple accounts.

Healthy game, let's all join, who's gonna make the guild and offsite forums for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Would be kind of nice to see an actually competent company attempt a sandbox mmo.

• Locked thread