Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

kibato posted:

Actually there are two teams trying to buy the licence:

http://darkfallnewdawn.com/

http://riseofagon.com/

But the CEO of Aventurine Zad Mehdawi is a major rear end in a top hat and I don't think it will work out.

Oh and since there is no alternative, I would totally buy the game.
In the meantime I will play this neat Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha.

I have no idea what the difference between the two games is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

afkmacro posted:

Holy crap I remember you, gluttony right? you were a really fun dude to play with. That first month or two was amazing.

Yeah, in retrospect even with the inevitable dogpile on us in the end, I'm cool with how everything went down. 2 months of loving with roleplayer carebears was better than spending 2 months exploiting everything possible.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Erev posted:

Favorite memory: Helping to cause the Duchy of Wessex to partially implode. Those guys were nutters - especially the upper ranks.

It's funny how much the various Hyperion people actually kind of hated eachother.

I went down to naked raid Silversun republic's city for a week since they were dumb enough to not kill me on sight right away. Just by being entertaining in zone chat I talked a bunch of their members into giving me the locations of allies in their city who were afk macroing. I went from dirt poor to having enough reagents/poo poo tier weapons to get myself up to midlevel magic mastery stuff. Shame that I didn't manage to spend it all until long after COTC broke up.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Darkfall came before MO, dingus.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Alexander DeLarge posted:

but did Darkfall really have a true melee combat model? I can't remember if it was M&B-like or not. Suppose I should have elaborated, but it's definitely not great for MMOs logistically.

I have no idea what "true melee" means because Mortal online has never not played/looked like a potato to me.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I just can't see the relaunches being a success. Darkfall 1 was fun because I got to gently caress around with goons and lovable Swedish psychos, not because the game was some well balanced masterpiece.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
In darkfall rerelease news, the community is already eating itself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/3r1gmz/why_i_am_not_supporting_darkfall_rise_of_agon/

kibato posted:

Yeah and I hate it. The fps combat is laggy as hell and feels like playing Arma2 with even more mouse lag.

Ssme. I've tried 3 times to give the game a fair shake and it's just not fun for me.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Alexander DeLarge posted:

This is some serious drama for a group of glorified modders.

Nothing will ever get done with the darkfall remakes because the second you make even the tinest change to the game, the community is going to whine and bitch up a storm. Darkfall 1 failed because it pissed off everyone who wasn't a raging pvp addict. Those same addicts don't realize that catering only to them is just going to result in another lovely game that folds in a few months. Archeage is probably the most recent example of this..

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tenzarin posted:

Unholy wars was kinda fun but the moment you left the noobie area you got shot in the face by the guys just sitting there and waiting. Only played for part of that first free month.

I had a pretty decent time surviving out in the open world most of the time. My major problem with Unholy wars was the fact that it was way too easy for the major alliances to sit in on literally every siege ever and you couldn't hold a city/village without being allied to or paying money to the big alliances.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'd be okay with one actually succeeding. I like the genre despite not being amazingly good at them.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Would be kind of nice to see an actually competent company attempt a sandbox mmo.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ashrik posted:

I get that people are into this kind of game. I don't get why those people think that other people are into this kind of game, on more than a temporary basis. How many different flavors of the same game need to fail before they can collectively move on?

By the time I finished writing that last sentence, I had thought of all the pre-Trammel UO shards with populations that measure in the dozens (in a good year) and realized that it doesn't matter. Is Darkfall the first digital-social perpetual failure machine?

Honestly Darkfall 1 had a perfectly healthy (well, in numbers at least) community until it became apparent that aventurine gave no shits about cheaters, and that new content was going to come very, very slowly.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

afkmacro posted:

Isn't Ark an actual good looking successful pvp sandbox mmo? Why aren't the df revival nerds playing that instead

Crowfall is also in development, but it's a crapshoot if it'll be legitimately good or just a 2 month distraction.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Byolante posted:

I have gazed into the crystal ball known as the way the devs police the official forums and can tell you it will be cliquey corrupt poo poo

Probably.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Orv posted:

Nixing the cheating would not magically make Darkfall not utter garbage.

Yeah, but at the same time if AV would have looked into the guilds/people that were blatantly cheating like hell at launch, UW might still be somewhat alive today.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SabinBlitz posted:

Between New Dawn and Rise of Agon, I like the direction RoA is going. So I'll wait for RoA to release a server. Good luck to New Dawn.

I was in Murder Herd back in NA release. I remember assaulting... Jakudun I think? From Ottenhal? Good times. I left about 8 months after NA release because AV were idiots but I've always kept tabs on the game.

There is no way RoA will ever, ever, ever reach the same numbers as DFO release days but hopefully enough people come back to make it a decent private server.

I was very upset when MH stopped being neighbors with goons back in the day. I had no easy solo raid targets in range and that sucked.

Deki fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 3, 2016

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
That's not that impressive considering all alpha proves is they got the Darkfall back end working.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Unholy wars was weird for me because I didn't think it was that bad for the month or so I played, but the "Core" darkfall players hated it. God only knows if the remakes are going to be able to sustain 3 digit populations.

kibato posted:

sorry for reanimating this thread, but the whole df revival thingy is absolutely hilarious at the moment.
DF: ROA had an alpha server running but was forced to take it down because they forgot server security.

The guy who works at the emulator since years sums it up pretty good:
http://darkfallemu.com/darkfall_emu_update_roa_security/

That link doesn't seem to work for me but I appreciate the hilarity regardless.

Deki fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm tempted to relive my days naked rushing cities and harassing crafters/harvesters.

Its not going to be as good as I remember, will it.

• Locked thread