Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
it was funny when the bike guy got off his bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Surprisingly Dope posted:

it was funny when the bike guy got off his bike.

The animation on that bit was so good it looked rotoscoped.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it was!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The afro wig in the background of Dr. Kuseno's lab :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I still think Licenseless Rider is the better translation.

AnonSpore posted:

The afro wig in the background of Dr. Kuseno's lab :allears:

Not a wig, that's Genos' hair from after he got trashed by Asura Rhino.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I was afraid they would take out the technical difficulties gag. I'm glad it survived the transition.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gyges posted:

Not a wig, that's Genos' hair from after he got trashed by Asura Rhino.

He doesn't have natural hair anymore so it's all a wig :colbert:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Gyges posted:

That would be because Mumen Rider literally isn't a translation, it's the actual Japanese name that goes above the heads of people who don't already know the source, or are familiar with random Japanese pop culture.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Good episode, extremely good groin blow

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Hellsau posted:

That would be because Mumen Rider literally isn't a translation, it's the actual Japanese name that goes above the heads of people who don't already know the source, or are familiar with random Japanese pop culture.

Can you explain it?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

Can you explain it?

I think someone in the other thread suggested Common Rider might be a better localization.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mumen is similar to Kamen; Mumen Rider is an homage to Kamen Rider, a tokusatsu hero who fights for justice and ride a sweet motorcycle. The joke is not only the name but also that because he is licenseless, he rides a bicycle instead of a motorcycle.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Begemot posted:

The animation on that bit was so good it looked rotoscoped.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it was!

Thank you, guy i follow on tumblr.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

I love the animation.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Just started watching. Animation is pretty slick.

Also the OP is great.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 26, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

This is almost definitely rotoscoped, right?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I just got the english release of Volume 2 so this is all fairly fresh in my mind but it's still just as excellent. Only gripes are the obvious ones, like the series of 2-page spreads of Sonic zipping around Saitama (which is similarly neutered in the physical version) and just leaving "Mumen Rider" untranslated when there's two easy ones you could use. But the spreads not getting as much careful attention in animated form is kind of impossible to avoid, I think, since those are meant to emulate how cool those sorts of scenes WOULD look animated, but Murata's a freak so it winds up looking a million times cooler. The unbelievable animation quality for every other action scene pretty much makes up for it though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Hammerhead has earned a place in my heart for fighting against the bourgeoisie.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Hammerhead has earned a place in my heart for fighting against the bourgeoisie.

A point that becomes completely undermined later on because the guy just doesn't want to work.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I just got to episode 4, and I legit marked out more for Licenseless Mumen Rider's first appearance than anything else in the show so far.

Edit: He elaborately put the kickstand up on his bike :allears:.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 26, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the only thing I could think about this episode was that the big sonic scene had less animation than the manga pages

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
While it had less art effort than the manga, the couple seconds of fist impact with Sonic was pretty great.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Not much of a manga guy so I've been waiting for a One Punch Man anime for a bit. Holy poo poo did it not disappoint.

I think the smash cut to Mumen Rider lying on the ground bloodied is my favorite moment thus far. Either that or Consecutive Normal Punches.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

A point that becomes completely undermined later on because the guy just doesn't want to work.

Yet he's willing to lead a revolution to bring about the carefree lifestyle he longs for.

I can respect his devotion to his cause.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

lousy millenials

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I will never fail to laugh at Saitama's happy low res face.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

NowonSA posted:

I just got to episode 4, and I legit marked out more for Licenseless Mumen Rider's first appearance than anything else in the show so far.

The music was absolutely perfect, that was totally a track I'd hear in a Kamen Rider show.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AnonSpore posted:

Mumen is similar to Kamen; Mumen Rider is an homage to Kamen Rider, a tokusatsu hero who fights for justice and ride a sweet motorcycle. The joke is not only the name but also that because he is licenseless, he rides a bicycle instead of a motorcycle.

He even has a belt similar to Kamen Rider's.

I am kind of disappointed that the scene with Sonic didn't have the camera panning around like the pages in the manga but the groin punch made up for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To be fair, if they'd copied that scene 1:1 they probably wouldn't have budget for the next 2 episodes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NowonSA posted:

If that's Mumen Rider's theme then it's incredible. As it should be. And the Saitama "heroic dream" music played again in a scene I didn't expect it to. I hope it gets reused whenever he does something inspiring, it's just about the perfect track for that kind of thing. I'm really digging the music in this! I don't think I've listened to any of Makoto Miyazaki's other work but I'm pretty impressed by what I've heard so far.

Also it's hilarious how the Hammerhead fights, Mumen Rider, and onenutpunch were the most smoothly animated parts of the episode. Which isn't at all what I expected.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is almost definitely rotoscoped, right?

No.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The most out of place scene for me was Speed of Sound Sonic running towards Hammerhead. Aside from leaning forward a bit, he's running reasonably?? There's no ninja run, it just looks like he's jogging really really fast. Have I just missed the point in anime history where the ninja run died?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Benach posted:

The most out of place scene for me was Speed of Sound Sonic running towards Hammerhead. Aside from leaning forward a bit, he's running reasonably?? There's no ninja run, it just looks like he's jogging really really fast. Have I just missed the point in anime history where the ninja run died?

Genos did the ninja run last week.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The animation from Sonic's jumps being worse than the actual animation in the manga was a bit disappointing but it's greatly offset by the awesomeness of Mumen Rider. I'm very okay with it because if anything it only adds to the joke, silly jokes having greater animation quality than standard shounen stuff fits OPM perfectly.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

The animation from Sonic's jumps being worse than the actual animation in the manga was a bit disappointing but it's greatly offset by the awesomeness of Mumen Rider. I'm very okay with it because if anything it only adds to the joke, silly jokes having greater animation quality than standard shounen stuff fits OPM perfectly.

Sonic dodging all the rocks was cool so it evens out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mortals know better than to tread in Murata's realm.

Throw down the gauntlet to him and he'll just spend 10 years and release something to humiliate you.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i thought the ninja was a woman at first

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Davincie posted:

everyone did

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't. But I knew people would confuse him for a woman.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

you just confirmed youre not a person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Davincie posted:

Mordaedil posted:

girl or boy?

• Locked thread