Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The HBC doesn't deserve to be stuck with the Dan McCartney's and Kyle Flood's over the world, he deserves his own thread.

So Ball Coach is gone to the great first tee in the sky about twenty-five down the road. Is he done for good? Probably but that ain't why we're here. We're here because Spurrier talked poo poo better than anyone else in the game and this is a place to reflect on all the times he put Tennessee and Clemson in their place. Let us remember:

HBC posted:

"I do feel badly for Arkansas. That's no fun getting your butt beat at home, homecoming and all that."

SpurDawg posted:

"Will be the 14th time I've coached in Neyland Stadium. ... I've coached there more than some of their head coaches."

Ball Coach posted:

"I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them (Georgia) that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended."

Iceburn Spurrier posted:

"You know what FSU stands for, don't you? Free Shoes University."

Suck my dick Peyton posted:

"You can't spell Citrus without U-T."

Hatin' rear end Spurrier posted:

On a fire at the football dorm that destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

Dabo's Daddy posted:

"I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do? I didn't say it.' Smart people don't believe everything they read, and they don't believe hearsay. ... I guess Dabo believed it."

Let us give praise to a goddamn genius, the Head Ball Coach emeritus, Stephen Orr Spurrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

first coach I was ever aware of

grew up listening to his trash talk

made florida relevant

basically my favorite guy on the planet

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I will never forget that Steve Spurrier once started a QB named Smelley

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Fare the well, Old-Balls Coach

The most important question is: What effect will this have on Hatin'-rear end Spirrier?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Quest For Glory II posted:

I will never forget that Steve Spurrier once started a QB named Smelley

For a team named the Cocks.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
As a little kid I always had a soft spot for Spurrier's gators. Sucks to see his coaching career end--but he's an absolute legend in college football.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I like spurrier, think he's good for cfb, but it's kind of sheepish to retire mid season. Hope he's not ill.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Sad cocks.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Crushed by this

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

:flaccid:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-STPIDx3KMM

CLICK CLACK

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

:smug:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

How the hell is that commercial almost ten years old?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Spurrier's first year at Carolina was mine as well, so even if he hadn't brought this program to new heights, I'd be emotional about his departure. There's not much more I can add that hasn't already been said -- the man is a legend and there won't be another like him in college football. Thanks for the memories and everything you've done for my university, HBC. Click clack.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

I love this picture so much.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Spurrier after the game against Georgia in 1991:

Steve Spurrier posted:

''How is it when they sign people they get the best players, but when we play, we have the best players? Something just happens to them when they get to Georgia, I guess.''

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Fare the well, Old-Balls Coach

The most important question is: What effect will this have on Hatin'-rear end Spirrier?

Spurdog will have some free time now, SBNation should ask him if he wants to write HAS himself

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bandit Ball forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fP9Ae37dFs

Yeah, Spurrier coached in the USFL, and who cares about that right?

Except they had by far the most exciting, interesting team in the league, and were clowning the Buccaneers in fanbase and ticket sales. That team had Nate Newton and Lex Luger on it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Bandits team photo from Subway (I think) was the first football related item I ever owned.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

There's a new Hatin' rear end Spurrier due tomorrow, and all I'm saying is that it just might be the best thing any of us reads all week.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

One of these men has a sense of humor, the other cannot process emotions

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Guy quit his job while playing golf.

Not mad at him. I wouldn't want to work for Dan Snyder either.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/648924823616360448

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

USA Today posted:

He beat Clemson, again and again, and had the upper hand on his in-state counterpart, Dabo Swinney. When Swinney suggested that he was from Pluto and Spurrier from Mars, Spurrier replied, "Dabo still thinks there are 9 planets out there."

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Danny Wuerffel posted:

Spurrier to me once after an interception: "Danny, It's not your fault...It's my fault for putting you in the game."

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Steve Spurrier was the reason to watch SEC East games in the past few years.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

God willing this song will be played at my funeral. Not that I really gave a shot about the bandits, it's just a fun song

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I hope steve spurrier isn't really sick and that's why he's retiring immediately, but man, him trying to just make the Redskins into the Florida Gators was completely stupid.

gee I wonder why the ownership is getting pushy about the QB it can't be because you made your golden boy who already proved he sucked in the NFL the starter, which he then sucked at.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's loving amazing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

shiksa posted:

I hope steve spurrier isn't really sick and that's why he's retiring immediately, but man, him trying to just make the Redskins into the Florida Gators was completely stupid.

gee I wonder why the ownership is getting pushy about the QB it can't be because you made your golden boy who already proved he sucked in the NFL the starter, which he then sucked at.

gently caress the Redskins.

Signed,
A Redskins Fan.

SOS made football exciting for me as a 7 year old. I started watching CFB w/ my dad when I was around 5 and enjoyed watching UF and Emmitt Smith--but UF under Spurrier was something else. Exciting. Fast paced (for the time). Wide open receivers. High scoring.

And the insults--the man throws shade like no one else.

I remember that sinking feeling when he announced he was resigning to go to the Redskins a couple of days after we had demolished Maryland in the Orange Bowl.

I got to relive that feeling last night.

Godspeed Spurdog. You're a national treasure.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
loving state traitor gently caress Steve spurrier forever

Rip

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I was thinking just over the weekend whether it was time for him to retire. I thought that he might retire soon, but I didn't think it would be this soon.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The worst thing a sports team can be is mediocre or bad and boring, and its more excruciating if you have a bland, boring coach at the helm. While Spurrier had an awful approach to coaching in the pros and didn't work out for my dumb team (many don't, especially for that team and in that league) he was an interesting and even likable personality who distracted you from the stink of the organization he was working for. I'd rather have him at the helm now than the fat Gruden brother or whatever retread or middling assistant the Skins bring in next.

Godspeed, Ball Coach. Don't be a stranger

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Komet posted:

I was thinking just over the weekend whether it was time for him to retire. I thought that he might retire soon, but I didn't think it would be this soon.

Look at what you did.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Any coach willing to lay down sick burns like that is a-ok in my book.

Although 1996 Fiesta Bowl Spurrier is hilarious too

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
I grew up in Gainesville. Those Gator football teams were so fun to watch and had so much success that I think they spoiled me. I went to UF from 1999-2003 and got to see a few seasons of Spurrier in person at least, even if they weren't up to the level of the Shane Matthews/Danny Wuerffel years. Him going to South Carolina made the Gamecocks my second favorite team, even though they were the same division as the Gators. He will be missed!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Fair sailing, awesome guy. You made football more fun, and your wife was a stone cold fox in her day.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Thank you for Osaka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Spurrier came to SC a year after I started, and drat, I remember when everyone thought Lou Holtz was gonna do a thing and then fizzled out like a wet fart. I kind of expected the same out of Spurrier, and somehow he would make do with some bizarre QBs like Garcia and Smelley (of course other stars like Ingram, Rice, Jefferey, and Lattimore). Greatest game ever watched was hungover Garcia beating Saban in a loving shoot out. I wasn't sure what would happen after Shaw left, unfortunately it was what many expected.

• Locked thread