Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Archery isn't so bad in team battles. I believe it was two team tournaments ago that had my team with myself as an archer made it to the finals. Probably would've won that one too if I had upgraded from silver arrows at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

It's probably not too late to post about this in the New LP thread. :v: Might attract extra audience.

Good idea, and done. I was hoping that more of the old Arena participants would have shown up by now, but I think we've probably given them enough time, and everyone who is participating probably wants to start this sooner rather than later.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Anchors posted:

Archery isn't so bad in team battles. I believe it was two team tournaments ago that had my team with myself as an archer made it to the finals. Probably would've won that one too if I had upgraded from silver arrows at some point.

I'm trying to recreate getting into the Semis. I want to believe that there's an archer build that is competitive against melee fighters. I'm content for that only to be possible in team fights.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think the only competitive archer build I saw was when the archer dropped the bow and just stabbed people with the arrows.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Coward posted:

I'm trying to recreate getting into the Semis. I want to believe that there's an archer build that is competitive against melee fighters. I'm content for that only to be possible in team fights.

I think in one of the very first tournaments, an elf archer actually made it to the finals, before team battles were even a thing. And then his head was crushed by a slade whip, because for whatever reason slade was an available material back then.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Astus posted:

I think in one of the very first tournaments, an elf archer actually made it to the finals, before team battles were even a thing. And then his head was crushed by a slade whip, because for whatever reason slade was an available material back then.

That was EagleEyed Prick, managed by M.c.P, who finished third in the very first tournament: http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_bracket.php?1

Archery isn't quite as powerful in DF2014 as it was in DF2010, but we've compensated for that somewhat by making archery skills cheaper, and editing the raws to make arrows and bolts hit harder. It will be interesting to see just how well a skilled archer can provide support for three brawlers in a four-on-four tournament.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Also, I was hoping to avoid doing this, but since registrations appear to have stalled out for the moment, I've carpet-bombed the e-mail addresses of some of the previous participants so that we can get this thing underway.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was worried about that. 48 was an achievable number. 64 was a bit of a stretch and took a while to fill the last time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I will sign up in like 10 minutes as long as you still have spots. I want in!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I won't be participating this round due to real life stuff, but I can likely join next season. Best of luck to any ants in the tournament.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SynthOrange posted:

I think the only competitive archer build I saw was when the archer dropped the bow and just stabbed people with the arrows.

Incidentally, this is an eminently solvable problem, which is just a question of balance.

An arrow shot can be made arbitrarily powerful. I've tested souped-up shots that are less 'arrow' and more 'anti-tank round'. I can absolutely create a bow that will instantly obliterate any body part it brushes.

Archers can contribute, especially in team battles. Whether they're currently balanced or underpowered... well, that could be something that needs attention. But it is fixable.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Oh man, excited for another season of this! Even though last time my giant troll lost to a gremlin in the first round....

Hopefully Rob Ford, drunken minotaur mayor will do better!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Sounds like FUN, I'll give it a try!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
GreyPowerVan, CrazySalamander, Skelicopter, and frankenfreak's accounts have all been approved and may now create fighters and apply to join the tournament.

Only five spots remain!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Got my fighter going. Let's hope whatever team I get assigned to can carry me. I might try to work on a better build if I have time later tonight and it's not started yet.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: TWO SPOTS LEFT :siren:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Got my fighter going. Let's hope whatever team I get assigned to can carry me. I might try to work on a better build if I have time later tonight and it's not started yet.

Teams will likely email each other to try to coordinate builds. Don't want 4 people with loads of armor and no weapons. Or maybe you do. I don't know. This game is a crapshoot.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Thanks to SynthOrange for posting about this in the megathread. I've missed you, arena challenge. I still have the dismembered bits of Happy Fun Stuff displayed proudly on my mantlepiece.

Secretely-a-snake-man-in-real-life Stephen Harper has joined the tournament, given that he's probably going to be out of a job come Monday (please god let him be out of a job come monday :pray:)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The human Turquoise Tonic is striking a pose. This art relates to the joining of the Dwarf fortress Arena tournament.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All right, one more spot to fill and we can GO GO GO

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
There should be an entire team of fighters named "Bad Munki".

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

All right, one more spot to fill and we can GO GO GO

And Jazz doesn't have a fighter in the tournament yet.

C'mon Jazz, give the people a chance to punch your face in.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

And Jazz doesn't have a fighter in the tournament yet.

C'mon Jazz, give the people a chance to punch your face in.

If nobody takes the last spot in the next six hours, then I'll take it to keep things moving, but I'd like to give somebody else a chance.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

Teams will likely email each other to try to coordinate builds. Don't want 4 people with loads of armor and no weapons. Or maybe you do. I don't know. This game is a crapshoot.

We could set up a Dwarf Fortress Slack group with channels for each team?

Could be handy for the commissioners too, if you find Hangouts as annoying as I do.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I'm taking the last spot! Found this thread just in time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And with that, I would like to formally apologize to alcharagia, Silverminnow, and Krysmphoenix.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Here's hoping someone on my team knows how to build a small fighter because i am determined to do one and also have no idea how.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Decoy Badger posted:

I'm taking the last spot! Found this thread just in time.

And with that...

:siren: YOU MAY NOW RENAME YOUR TEAMS FROM THE DEFAULT NAMES IF YOU WISH :siren:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im in Team 15, we need a name . Something to strike fear into our enemies.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Tithin, coward, Klokwurk, you're with me.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bad Munki posted:

And with that, I would like to formally apologize to alcharagia, Silverminnow, and Krysmphoenix.

Beginner's luck will carry me. As well as THE APELIMINATOR'S MECHANICALLY-ENHANCED CRUSHING POWER. :psylon:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Wooo, my entire team has PM ability!

PM'd everyone. Lets email this thing and figure out builds and pretend we know wtf we are doing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
But seriously, good to work with you, Bad Munki.

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!
AJ_Impy and other Team 6 members, I suggest we go for a dignified name that will remain totally relevant in the long term, like... a halloween pun.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Klokwurk posted:

AJ_Impy and other Team 6 members, I suggest we go for a dignified name that will remain totally relevant in the long term, like... a halloween pun.

Sold!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

alcharagia posted:

I don't think you realize what's happening here.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I was right on how teams were assigned. Yay me.

To my fellow members of Team 2: I will not stop being a Yeti.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

alcharagia posted:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Do you realize what's happening here?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hell, I'm pretty sure *I* don't even realize what's happening here. This is the 3rd annual something awful bingo rally thread, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Woo, I'm with a former champ - who hasn't actually stated his fighter yet. :ohdear:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 16, 2015